Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 113

Thread: Please JO, not again this year

  1. #26
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could this be the reason though we see Jermaine's shoes being sold and not Duncan's?
    Sadly, you make a good point. But I guess what Duncan lacks in charisma he makes up for in championship rings.

  2. #27
    Member Harddrive7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Let's see, running down the court to back on "D" and staring down the opposing teams bench or standing under the goal staring down the fans while everyone else is running to get back on "D"...

    Now I don't think that it caused any problems last night on the defensive end, but it's professionalism and maturity that I'm talking about.

    Was it mature or professional that Reggie did it? No.

  3. #28
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A team led by Jermaine O'Neal will not win a championship.

    JO has started the season doing the very things that show me he's a talk tough leader, but that's about it: whining and posturing.

    What was sad about his little glare is look at the situation. This wasn't a playoff game. This wasn't even a division game. And it's againt Orlando. He felt the need to posture against them?

    I wondered if the crowd kinda laughed at him cause I thought it looked stupid at home. It just looked like false bravado. It's like the watching a high schooler beat up a jr high kid, then thump his chest. He was supposed to win.

    You know when you give a staredown?

    When it's a Knicks/Pacers playoff game and Dale Davis lays a pick on Charles Oakley so hard it puts his *** on the floor. That's when a staredown is effective.

    When Jordan is going off for 50 points and the other team can't stop him after telling the media they can "contain" him. That's when a staredown is effective.

    Mutombo's finger wag was born of him being a dominant force in the paint. You literally didn't try to take stuff in there. It was born of him being four time defensive player of the year! Deke has earned the right to wag his finger. That has some weight behind it when he does it.

    Jermaine wasn't even dominant in the game!! At least that might make it a little better. As it stands, he just looked like a posturing idiot.

    I'd say the same thing to Antoine as I would to Jermaine. Pick the right situations and earn the right to have a "signature move".
    I had no idea anyone would feel so passionately about this subject as it appears you do. Jermaine is an all-star and an MVP candidate with good basketball skills....I'm not going to tit-for-tat refute the points in your post because I think it is a waste of time to argue about something so meaningless.

    I'm certainly not going to vilify one of our best players because he likes to show a little emotion and be fired up....Go ahead, JO; beat your chest if you want to....One of the things I find most annoying about Tim Duncan is his lack of emotion. He seems less like a human being that way. I don't want to watch machines play the game...



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  4. #29
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,395

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just want to ask you one more question. When #31 hit a three and stared down the other teams bench, how does that differ from what JO does?
    I don't think you're paying attention. Reggie running down the court to get back on D and staring down the opposing bench as he RUNS BY is a bit different than turning your back to the court and staring at the opposiing team's fans as everyone runs down on D.

    Did you not even see him?

    (And for the record, reggie saved his stares for teams and games that meant something, not Doh-rlando )
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  5. #30
    teY dennaB toN
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,606

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I try to set an example as the head of my household. Everytime I pay a huge bill I don't run outside, put it in my mailbox, and stare down my neighbors.


    I like to do that after I take out the garbage cans for the week. The neighbors get a kick out of it.


    I don't enjoy JO's ridiculous taunts either, but I guess I've learned to accept that as part of the package. I don't have as much of a problem with it now as I did a few years ago...

  6. #31
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,321

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Can we just blame David Stern for this one since he is the one that has always insisted the NBA is more than a game "Its Entertainment".
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  7. #32
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    I don't mind show-boating all that much as long as the clock isn't ticking.

    I DO mind crying wolf to the refs. You don't want the refs to tune you out, because one day - when they really ARE being unfair, you need to be able to get thier attention and reason with them.

    But this is one game, and I don't really remember seeing too much of this sort of thing last night so I guess the crying wolf thing can be applied to our complaints about the team as well.

  8. #33
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    People here will find anything to complain about. I hope JO keeps doing it after everydamn basket he makes just to **** you off. I wish we had Tyson Chandler and Zo Mourning so they can celebrate after rebounds.

  9. #34
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had no idea anyone would feel so passionately about this subject as it appears you do. Jermaine is an all-star and an MVP candidate with good basketball skills....I'm not going to tit-for-tat refute the points in your post because I think it is a waste of time to argue about something so meaningless.

    I'm certainly not going to vilify one of our best players because he likes to show a little emotion and be fired up....Go ahead, JO; beat your chest if you want to....One of the things I find most annoying about Tim Duncan is his lack of emotion. He seems less like a human being that way. I don't want to watch machines play the game...
    Thank you, they want these guys to be ****ing robots.

  10. #35

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Yeah, whining sucks.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  11. #36
    Member Harddrive7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People here will find anything to complain about. I hope JO keeps doing it after everydamn basket he makes just to **** you off. I wish we had Tyson Chandler and Zo Mourning so they can celebrate after rebounds.

    It doesn't make me mad, it's just a little embarrassing and not very classy IMO. I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. If he REALLY did something besides an average dunk on an average defender or because the lane was open that would be one thing.

    I mean if he gave Ben or Rasheed Wallace a facial in an important game then hell yeah, beat your chest, raise a little hell with the opposing teams fans, but to do it ALMOST everytime? I don't know.

    Just my opinion is all.

  12. #37

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    JO's (and other Pacers) showboating is exactly why many fans (myself included) can not get as behind this team as I once did. I am a HUGE Pacer fan, but every time JO, Ron, Stephen, Mel-Mel, etc tries to make themselves bigger than the team on the court, it makes me sick. Have the people who have been defending JO been listening to Reggie's criticism of the team. He says that they are immature and prone to in-fighting. That speaks of being mentally weak and self-centered (among other things). Normally I keep my mouth quiet and just lurk, but I too was disappointed again by some of the actions on the court last night and by the asinine defense of his actions. The sad thing is last night is probably only just the beginning of the "look at me - aren't I great" crap that will keep us behind Detroit and the Spurs.

    Nobody is asking for people to be robots or sleepwalk out on the court, but do the job like you have been there before. Leave the "look at me" celebrations for when they actually count (i.e. winning Game 7 of the NBA Finals).

    I chalk up many of the supports of JO to the SportsCenter generation. The JO staredowns, Fatoine shimmy, the TO sharpies, the Chad Johnson anything - they all have a time and a place. What bothers me is the lack of subtlety or timing. Celebrate when you do something outstanding - not every made bucket, first down catch or wide open reception. That is one aspect that irks me. The other is that historically "champions" in any sport are the guys who either don't overtly celebrate individually or if they do it is highly selective. Name me one Piston, Spurs or Patriot who is known more for their "stare downs" or "TD dances" than they are for their contributions to the team victory.

    JO's antics are endemic of a self centered player, not a leader.

  13. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    As for the "stare-down" being a detriment to JO's "D"... I didn't see him not get back because of that any last night. Also, as to how "professional" it is... What do you think the NBA is, an office building? I bet seeing JO get a nice dunk and then doing his signature stare serves to get the team pumped up as well as himself. I like to see players play with some emotion, not just go through the movements.

  14. #39
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JO's (and other Pacers) showboating is exactly why many fans (myself included) can not get as behind this team as I once did. I am a HUGE Pacer fan, but every time JO, Ron, Stephen, Mel-Mel, etc tries to make themselves bigger than the team on the court, it makes me sick. Have the people who have been defending JO been listening to Reggie's criticism of the team. He says that they are immature and prone to in-fighting. That speaks of being mentally weak and self-centered (among other things). Normally I keep my mouth quiet and just lurk, but I too was disappointed again by some of the actions on the court last night and by the asinine defense of his actions. The sad thing is last night is probably only just the beginning of the "look at me - aren't I great" crap that will keep us behind Detroit and the Spurs.

    Nobody is asking for people to be robots or sleepwalk out on the court, but do the job like you have been there before. Leave the "look at me" celebrations for when they actually count (i.e. winning Game 7 of the NBA Finals).

    I chalk up many of the supports of JO to the SportsCenter generation. The JO staredowns, Fatoine shimmy, the TO sharpies, the Chad Johnson anything - they all have a time and a place. What bothers me is the lack of subtlety or timing. Celebrate when you do something outstanding - not every made bucket, first down catch or wide open reception. That is one aspect that irks me. The other is that historically "champions" in any sport are the guys who either don't overtly celebrate individually or if they do it is highly selective. Name me one Piston, Spurs or Patriot who is known more for their "stare downs" or "TD dances" than they are for their contributions to the team victory.

    JO's antics are endemic of a self centered player, not a leader.

    This guy is very mad.

    I hope our guys celebrate extra hard tonight after every dunk they make. That way it will be hard for you to watch.

  15. #40
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,152

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish JO would study Duncan's demeanor and simply play like a tacit enforcer.
    And while he's studying it he might notice how effective Duncan is using the glass.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  16. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And while he's studying it he might notice how effective Duncan is using the glass.
    Just wanted to point out that I saw JO use the glass a couple of times last night to great effect.

  17. #42
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Jerm,

    You're quite bitter lately, and that's fine of course (God knows I'm usually bitter, too). Usually you can make your point quite well without the unneeded personal pot-shots.

    There's nothing wrong with fans having different perspectives on the team. Why are you taking it all so personal?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  18. #43
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,827

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And while he's studying it he might notice how effective Duncan is using the glass.

    -Bball
    I figured you'd be fairly pleased with JO's game last night. I thought he did a nice job passing out of the post......

  19. #44
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I figured you'd be fairly pleased with JO's game last night. I thought he did a nice job passing out of the post......
    Did you not get the memo? The regular season has started.

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  20. #45
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,827

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you not get the memo? The regular season has started.

    Yeah, but Will is looking for more basketball stuff, so I thought I'd throw that out there.

    Just trying to do my part to keep him from leaving.......

  21. #46
    Team Raskolnikov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ghent, Belgium
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,596

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    if the oneal stare doesn t bother him to get back on D or hurts the team chemistry (for instance when jo gets an open dunk and he acts like he s done it all by himself, what does the guy who gave the assist think of that?) i dont see any problems in it. if they all act like grown up men and let jo do his thing (within certain limits), it may even fire up the team as has been said.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

  22. #47
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,152

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I figured you'd be fairly pleased with JO's game last night. I thought he did a nice job passing out of the post......
    While I don't like the JO staredown much either... I couldn't bring myself to join this chorus today because I was happy to see JO passing the ball last night.

    And I do remember him using the glass a time or two.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  23. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,144

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    I don't know why, but this does not bother me at all. Reggie showed emotion, Mark showed emotion, Ronny sometimes shows emotion and JO is doing it too. I like emotion. I realize this isn't game 7, but I know when I'm playing anything (b-ball, football, whatever), I am extremely competitive and pumped up.

    I understand the getting back on defense aspect and why that is something he needs to do, but some of you guys seem like you want to trade him just because he's showing emotion.

  24. #49
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,649

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    If anybody had a right to a staredown last night it was Dwight Howard. When he threw that dunk down on Jermaine's head I felt the vibrations back up here in Indiana.

    But did he stare him down? No.

    I could write an epic long post about this entire issue & my gut feelings on why this is the problem with the NBA, but it would be a waste of time.

    Let's just say this, Ali left us with two legacy's. One good & one not so good IMO.

    1. He was a great boxer, maybe the best there ever was.

    2. He made it fashionable to not only win but to degrade your opponet in the process.

    I'm sorry, I still beleive in sportsmanship & whenever you feel the need to do this you are not only promoting yourself but you are degrading the person you just did that to.

    I feel it's wrong, but many of you don't. That's fine.

    Scott has already stated how I feel on the topic & I want to go one step further.

    I had a problem with Reggie whenever he would do the stupid crap as well. There was a differance though, to the best of my memory I never saw Reggie standing back celebrating while not getting back on defense.

    As to the shoe sell thing, yip you are correct. Attitude does sell shoes & all of the self promotion sells jerseys.

    But at the end of the day, for the NBA not the individual players, what is more important. Selling a younger person a pair of $125.00 shoes & a Jersey once a year or selling someone a season ticket or partial season ticket or 10 package?

    The NBA is alienating some of their fan base because they are marketing to the wrong crowd.

    Ok, now ends my old grumpy man rant.

    At the end of the day, we won so let's have some dancing fruit.



    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  25. #50
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This guy is very mad.
    Please look up "mad" in the dictionary.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •