Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: Why do people do this

  1. #1
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    people these days...

  2. #2
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,164

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you are ****ing 18, 19 and 20 years old, why would you

    A. Have unprotected sex knowing what diseases go around

    and

    B. Let a dude bust inside of you?


    At my place of work, we have three new people that just found out they were pregnant this week, and I am close to one of the girls. She just turned ****ing 19 years old, and she has been dating the baby father for all of 2 weeks.

    Ill never understand the decisions some people make in life....
    A. A feeling of immortaility, usually stemming from a lack of significant loss,

    and

    B. Hormones are a more powerful driving force than virtually everything. Most people simply don't have very strong wills. If anything, my will is too damn strong.

  3. #3
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Life is not fair
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  4. #4
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,164

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Life is not fair
    I'm living proof of that, unfortunately.

  5. #5
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm living proof of that, unfortunately.

  6. #6
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,200
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    I'm living proof of this fact. My daughter was born less than a month after I graduated high school and is now 10 years old. Hormones, man I tell ya. And have you seen how these chicks are dressing these days? They didn't do that back in my day and I had trouble then. I can't even imagine if I was a teenager today...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Why do people think condoms help stop diseases? I still haven't figured that out. Let's check a couple facts, and let me ask you a question ....

    A - Condoms only work on sperm roughly 75% of the time, ask the condom companies yourself ....

    B - STD's are a viris. Those virus's are 450 times smaller than sperm.

    So, if condoms only work 75% of the time on sperm, how often do you think it works on something 450 times smaller? Just a common sense deduction here.

  8. #8
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Yeah, that's a reason to just not use them at all.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    I never said that. Did I? Okay then, so roll your eyes at yourself. Slightly annoying when people think they're so smart they can infer something that was never implied.

    They obviously don't hurt, but people act like they're a sure fire bet against any problems related to having sex.

  10. #10
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    B - STD's are a viris. Those virus's are 450 times smaller than sperm.

    So, if condoms only work 75% of the time on sperm, how often do you think it works on something 450 times smaller? Just a common sense deduction here.
    Myth.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    I could be wrong, but I believe I've read all over the place that condoms are around 97% effective...unless I'm missing something.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

    Do Not Trade Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

  12. #12
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Scientific research by a group including the U.S. National Institutes of Health and the WHO found "intact condoms ... are essentially impermeable to particles the size of STD pathogens including the smallest sexually transmitted virus ... condoms provide a highly effective barrier to transmission of particles of similar size to those of the smallest STD viruses".

    http://www.unknownnews.net/031010vatican.html


    The most convincing evidence of condom effectiveness comes from studies of HIV-discordant couples—couples in which one partner is infected with HIV and the other is not (166, 557). Studies of such couples have found low risks of HIV infection among consistent condom users (22, 166, 167, 177, 311, 378, 416, 557). In three recent studies infection rates were less than 1% per year among consistent condom users (134, 141, 473). A multicountry European study of 256 HIV-discordant couples followed for an average of 20 months found that not one infection occurred among such couples using condoms during every sex act (134).


    Perfect use effectiveness. Among people who use condoms consistently and correctly, pregnancy rates are fairly low—about 3 pregnancies per 100 women in the first year of use. By comparison, sterilization, Norplant® implants, the TCu-380A IUD, long-acting injectables, and, when used correctly, oral contraceptives have the lowest observed rates of about one pregnancy or less per 100 women in the first year of use (538).

    Typical use effectiveness.
    Typical use effectiveness varies greatly in various studies and among groups within studies. For example, DHS data suggest pregnancy rates per 100 first-year condom users of over 16 in Egypt, almost 6 in Indonesia, and over 8 in Thailand (20). The estimated typical pregnancy rate among condom users in the US is about 14 per 100 women. This rate is higher than for most other methods (367, 537, 538).



    http://www.infoforhealth.org/pr/h9/h9chap4_2.shtml
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about you try "saying what you mean" not "meaning what you say"

    You made it sound like condoms wouldnt help ****. Truth is, it can help enough, and frankly, hitting it raw is just plain stupid, IMO
    I did say what I meant, it's not my fault your powers of deduction are horrific. You even admit as much even by saying "you made it sound" .... exactly. You inferred what you assumed I meant, because it wasn't actually there.

    As for Soups information, you can believe what you want. There are links on the internet stating just about everything medically. Including on this matter. One day an egg is good for you, the next day a study says an egg is bad for you. They can't make up their minds about anything. I could easily come up with 20 links stating how condoms don't work nearly as well as your link claims, does that make one more right than the other? No.

    I'd rather err on the side of common sense. Which is on my side of the argument. As I've said, you can call the condom companies themselves. I believe the exact number was 78% of condoms worked. Unless they've had some major break through since I was going through a medical class in which that fact was laid out in front of us .... I sure can't explain the huge jump in effectivness.

    This doesn't even begin to mention that I knew a lady who after a divorce was curious if she could even get a man, as she was getting fairly old. She had sex ONE time, with a condom, and ended up pregnant. Not only that, but the baby has an menal illness, and now she'll spend the rest of her life taking care of him. Even though she acted "responsiblly" according to some here. I haven't sworn off sex all together, but it's actually crossed my mind. The trouble it can bring is nowhere near the fun you get out of it. Whether it be a spiteful ex taking half your check to get her hair done ... I mean ... for diapers. Or whatever else.

    You want to avoid STD's, and pregnancy. Don't use condoms .... the solution is to not have sex.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Just wait till you're married. And don't get married before you get out of college. That's all I have to say.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  15. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just wait till you're married. And don't get married before you get out of college. That's all I have to say.
    Worked for me, and I have no regrets.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  16. #16
    Call me Kauffie Kaufman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Break it down VA!!!
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

  17. #17
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,200
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    I always put on three. In case two break.

  18. #18
    Member Pacers#1Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always put on three. In case two break.
    That would be a little uncomfortable.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, acting hard over the internet.

    Must make you feel really big
    How was I 'acting hard'? All I did was explain how he can't infer something that wasn't there, and then used even his wording to explain that it is, in fact what he did.

    Did I say I was going to beat him up? Say anything about meeting me in a parking lot or something? You're silly.


  20. #20
    Member PHC Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    471

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    just turned ****ing 19 years old, and she has been dating the baby father for all of 2 weeks.

    Ill never understand the decisions some people make in life....
    That man isn't the baby's father. At least, the chances are really, really slim. I have three kids, so I'm pretty familiar with how the whole 40 week gestational period works.
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson


  21. #21
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,860

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would be a little uncomfortable.

    Might last a little long than the 2mins the rest of us do.......

    Wait.....I mean.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    I never said it was fact. I said it was a common sense deduction. Reread it.

    Again, there is no such thing as a fact in medical science. Hell they said "alcoholism is genetic", and it was all over the news. Months later when they changed their minds and said "Oh, we messed up, it's not genetic", it wasn't reported anywhere, and people still believe it's genetic. The only one who knows the "facts" are god himself. If he exists. Otherwise the rest is conjecture.

    However, I surely don't trust just "studies" as those "studies" are funded by people with agenda's. If you haven't read "Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About", do so. Some of what he says sounds asinine, but a lot of it is grounded in truth, and makes complete sense.

    Regardless, back to the orginal point, I say my view is the side where common sense is laid because it comes from the condom companies themselves. If they had any reason to lie, it would be a lie that made their product sound better, not worse. Otherwise people won't buy them. Then by studying the size of sperm when compared to a virus it's just absolute common sense that the virus will find it's way through the condom much easier.

    Lastly, as far as the "acting hard", if that's the case, then wouldn't his smart *** comment and "rolling eyes" smiley account for acting hard as well? In which case I'm just fighting fire with fire, and you should be riding him for it, not me.

  23. #23
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Look, viruses transmitted through secretions like semen or vaginal fluids (especially HIV) simply do not penetrate latex very well at all. Proven fact. The animal tissue condom things are a different story however. Same with diseases that create an ugly mess on the skin in your genital area that the condom cannot cover, condoms obviously won't help a whole lot with preventing those from spreading.

    What you're describing sounds like the very nature of science. Question, re-question; prove, disprove. However, if you want to actually disprove something, don't just cast it aside because nothing is ever 100% assured of being true. Go get your own damn research that suggests the contrary and maybe you can say the info doesn't matter. Ignoring something because there may have been an "agenda" is a cop-out IMO. When ever someone sees something they don't agree with, it seems they pull the "agenda" card. Please.

    You can make all the deductions you want, but don't try to convince us that this deduction is common OR makes any kind of sense. You're basing it all off one one stat you heard from a condom company (which can easily be explained if you look at the improper usuage %'s and allow some +/- leeway), and have chosen to ignore ALL other information. Please excuse me if the 'common sense' in all this isn't exactly slapping me in the face.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  24. #24
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Lastly, as far as the "acting hard", if that's the case, then wouldn't his smart *** comment and "rolling eyes" smiley account for acting hard as well? In which case I'm just fighting fire with fire, and you should be riding him for it, not me.
    Of course not, because you disagree with him in a very strong way on a subject he expected to receive nothing but support on.

    Btw, my daughter was conceived despite the correct use of a condom. It also happened to be the first time I had had occation to use one. While this anecdotal evidence is far from scientific, I don't find it hard to believe that condoms are less than 99% effective. I rather prefer to believe however, that it was simply my daughter's steely determination that latex companies had little to no chance of matching up against.

  25. #25
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Why do people do this

    Saying what you mean....


    Meaning what you say....




    I still don't get that... isn't it the same thing?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •