Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

  1. #1

    Default O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...coll=orl-magic

    Turkoglu fired up to test Artest
    Brian Schmitz
    Sentinel Staff Writer

    November 1, 2005

    Hedo Turkoglu didn't serve in the Turkish Army in his homeland this summer to prepare for Ron Artest, but the training certainly didn't hurt.

    "Yeah, I'm ready!" said Turkoglu, pounding his chest with his fist.

    Turkoglu, a 6-foot-10 forward for the Orlando Magic, is one of those friendly, carefree athletes. "I have no worries," he said, often adding, "It's not the end of the world."

    While Turkoglu might not have any worries, the coaching staff and Magic fans might be more than concerned about the spot in which Turk finds himself.

    As if replacing small forward Grant Hill in the Magic's lineup wasn't enough, Turkoglu must match up against Artest in the season opener against the Indiana Pacers on Wednesday night.

    The club said Hill had successful surgery to repair a sports hernia Monday in Philadelphia.

    He will be out 3-6 weeks, meaning Turkoglu is being counted on to hold his own until Hill's return.

    While Hill was preparing to launch another comeback from left-ankle problems, the Magic signed Turkoglu last summer as insurance.

    Hill wound up playing 67 games, keeping Turkoglu in his role as sixth man for most of the 2004-05 season. Hill made the all-star team and averaged 19.7 points per game while Turkoglu was solid, averaging 14 points.

    But with Hill facing a new medical issue, Turkoglu says he realizes critical eyes will be on him as he starts the season as a starter.

    "I guess so," he said. "People saw what I did last year, and they're going to expect more than last year. They expect for me to step up. . . . I want to be strong until 'G' [Grant] comes back."

    Magic Coach Brian Hill has had to tweak his offense, because Turkoglu offers a drastically different style than Grant Hill.

    The Magic likely don't want to add more jump shots to their game plan, but spot-up shooting is the streaky Turkoglu's strength.

    They lose Hill's trademark ability to drive to the basket -- which can equal easy points and free throws -- and his mid-range game.

    "Grant probably puts a little bit more pressure on the defense because of his ability to penetrate," Brian Hill said. "Hedo is more of a spot-up shooter. We're trying to get him to do those things [that Grant does] . . . to drive-and-kick and not hold the basketball for a long period of time, to make quick decisions.

    "We have to do some things offensively to accommodate Hedo that maybe we wouldn't run when Grant is on the floor."

    But where Turkoglu will be put to the test is on defense, which, admittedly, is not his strong suit.

    Hill is a little better defender, but every small forward has trouble handling the 6-8 Artest, regarded as one of the league's best defenders.

    "He's a beast," Brian Hill said.

    Artest has muscled up to 265 pounds and is rumored to have a wild streak in him.

    Of course, Artest was suspended for most of last season after igniting a brawl in Detroit that spilled into the stands and embarrassed the NBA.

    It was just the latest act of bizarre behavior from Artest.

    At least in the preseason, he has made good on his promise to reform.

    Artest will be playing in his first regular-season game since the Motown Meltdown and, well . . . lucky Turkoglu.

    "I bet he'll come out real aggressive," Turkoglu said, only half laughing.

    "It's a good challenge for me. I've played against him before [when Turkoglu was with Sacramento and San Antonio], but it wasn't for as long a period as it will be now."

    Turkoglu figures he's tougher, too.

    He spent about a month with the Turkish Army this summer, fulfilling his country's mandatory military obligation. Although he spent time signing autographs, posing for pictures and being a celebrity, he learned hand-to-hand combat and to shoot guns.

    "I had shot small ones before, but not the big ones," he said. "I shot -- what do you call it? -- a machine gun."

    Hedo Turkoglu needs to have his full arsenal against Ron Artest.

    NOTES: Center-forward Tony Battie, recuperating from minor injuries from a car accident Friday, had to stop practicing Monday after being hit on his sore left hand. He received cuts on the hand in the rollover wreck. Kelvin Cato -- the incumbent starter who is recovering from shoulder surgery -- will start if Battie can't. . . .

    The Magic waived centers Ken Johnson and Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje to reach the mandatory 15-player roster limit. Because center Mario Kasun (right ankle stress reaction) is out, the club probably would have kept one of them, but Grant Hill's hernia surgery forced the Magic to go with another wing player. . . . Guard Keyon Dooling (right heel bruise) likely will miss the opener. . . .

    Forward Stacey Augmon, who had hernia surgery a month ago, likely will not return until mid-December.

    Brian Schmitz can be reached at bschmitz@orlandosentinel.com.








    ---------------------
    Be careful what you wish for, Hedo!

  2. #2
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Artest has muscled up to 265 pounds and is rumored to have a wild streak in him.


    What gossip hound would start an insane rumor like that?


    Also, who did Hedo almost get into a fight with last year?

    Was is James Jones?
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  3. #3
    brs14ku
    Guest

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Artest is going to EAT HIM FOR DINNER tonight. Don't mess with a mad man, especially when you are a very passive player like HEDO. Holding the ball a long time is never good against Ronnie.

  4. #4
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,841

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Ahh the season is here. I love reading the pre game articles from opposing teams.

  5. #5
    StephanJackson1
    Guest

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    there is no way hedo is going to stop ron, and ron is going to shut him down on the defensive end to, so i don't know why he is so fired up

  6. #6
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by StephanJackson1
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    there is no way hedo is going to stop ron, and ron is going to shut him down on the defensive end to, so i don't know why he is so fired up
    Yeah, but who is going to contain Dwight Howard?

    The Pacers should win pretty easily tonight however...
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  7. #7
    StephanJackson1
    Guest

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but who is going to contain Dwight Howard?

    The Pacers should win pretty easily tonight however...

    They will win easily, and jo will stop dwight.

  8. #8
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    When will people get that every team has at least one exploitable weakness, but that doesn't guarantee a thing.

  9. #9
    StephanJackson1
    Guest

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When will people get that every team has at least one exploitable weakness, but that doesn't guarantee a thing.
    Your right every team but the pacers.

  10. #10
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest


  11. #11
    StephanJackson1
    Guest

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

  12. #12
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Ron is going to kill Hedo, 25 for Ron, 8 for Hedo and thats when Ron isnt playing.

  13. #13
    Member efx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When will people get that every team has at least one exploitable weakness, but that doesn't guarantee a thing.
    I agree.

    And also, it's really bad to go in with the attitude that they are going to just stomp over what seems like weaker teams. Those are the situations that can come back and bite you in the proverbial behind. This team faces alot of questions so let's not just assume that it's going to be a cakewalk. These guys better be prepared.

    And every team has a weakness, that's just a matter of fact.

  14. #14

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by StephanJackson1
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your right every team but the pacers.
    ............

  15. #15
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,721

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    I thought this thread title was a joke until I saw BTown didnt start it......

    what is he thinking?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #16
    Naptown Seth
    Guest

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    What exactly do you do to shut down Hedo Turkoglu? I mean, on a good day Hedo will get you 8/4/2. So in order to shut him down, do you have to hold him to 0/0/0? Just a terrible player, and one of the uglier players in the league to boot.

  17. #17
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,896

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    [Of course, Artest was suspended for most of last season after igniting a brawl in Detroit that spilled into the stands and embarrassed the NBA.

    It amazes me how the press can continually get things wrong.



    Nap, if a player AVERAGES 14pts for a whole year, how can you say a good game for him would be 8/4/2? Holding him to that would be below his average already, and it would be considered an offnight.

  18. #18
    mbndp
    Guest

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    If you had a team of your 5 most overrated NBA players, Naptown, they'd be a strong contender for an NBA championship, as they would be one of the top starting 5 in the league.

    For Indy, either Rasheed or Magliore would be your starting center and the other would be your first big guy off the bench, Parker would start, as would Ginobli, and Johnson would be your first swing player off the bench, ahead of Granger.

    For Detroit, Ginobli would probably start ahead of either RIP or Tay or he'd be the first swing guy off the bench. Parker would be backing up Chauncy, and Johnson would probably beat out Evans and/or Defino for the 4th swing guy in the rotation (SG/SF). The Pistons wouldn't make room for Magliore, I don't think, even though he's an all-star caliber center, since their big 3 are better players - although I suppose they'd consider him instead of McDyess - and he wouldn't be happy playing behind Darko and being relegated to the Dale Davis. 5th big guy role.

    BTW, John Hammond was interviewed (it's on mlive.com under the Piston's section) and he said that if there were an injury to one of the big 3, that Dale Davis is a guy who's in absolutely great shape, and they could plug him in 30 minutes a night, and probably would keep Darko in the #4 role and would use Davis to play top-three minutes. He said that Davis could guard Magliore very easily.

  19. #19
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,056
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    I LOL at the "rumored" wild streak. I never knew such a thing existed in Artest.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  20. #20
    Naptown Seth
    Guest

    Default Re: O Sentinel: Turkoglu fired up to test Artest

    Yeah, you're right. Hedo's not that bad of a player, and I was overexaggerating a bit.

    Wasn't Hedo a part of the Brad Miller deal, and was dealt to Indiana and then immediatly sent to San Antonio or some crap like that? That Brad Miller trade has got to haunt Donnie Walsh.God I wish he was still around.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •