Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reggie's comments!

Default Reggie's comments!

I don't mean to rain on the parade the day before opening night but -

Our team is nowhere close to the Pistons. Reggie was absolutely right in picking the Pistons. I am glad he did not do a Bill Lambeer in that studio show. Being a homer is good for a day but one would like a fool if you continue that. Reggie is a person of integrity and will pick objectively.

I have all along said that 80% of the starting lineup is either made up of nutcases or has a fragile psyche. They are good people but are just not mature and lack discipline and do not have a high level of concentration. We tend to underestimate what Reggie did as the glue on that team. I would even venture to say that he retired because he saw some things last year which made him think that this team lacked the discipline to do it on all nights and all through a season. All the whining to the refs on the court, breaking plays and not playing within the system will get you nothing. I am not even going to get into the 11/19 fiasco.

I am going to follow this team just like I did teams of the past but it hurts me when I see all the whining, lack of discipline, etc. The 90s teams of the past were disciplined and played good team ball. I just am not confident that this team has the frame of mind and level of concentration to do that.

Probably, Reggie picked the Pistons just to make the Pacers have a chip on their shoulder and rally around.

Default Re: Reg, lookin sharp. (Comments on Indiana)

We don't have a chance, thats the dumbest thing ever. Let me guess your a pistons fan in disguise. You now have the rights to the dumbest thing I have read on this board. We proved last year we had a chance

Nice response Destined, I guess one can't point out what one percieves as flaws in this team and still be a fan of it. Who does that remind me of?....nm.
    Your rebuttal was nothing but a troll.

We have a chance. That's a given. But I don't think they're a lock to the degree that alot of posters seem to think. At this point I still don't see a reason why we suddenly have the edge over Detroit.

And I'm one of those that agree with the people who cite this teams fragile physice and it saddens me because talent-wise they got all the talent needed in this legaue.

I never said we were a locked. But we have a chance. We proved that last year. TO think otherwise, well is retarded.

Just out of curiosity, when did he say they didn't have a chance?

"Our team is nowhere close to the Pistons." sounds a lot like it.

The guy makes it sound like we are the Atlanta Hawks.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I see what you mean. My stance is that until they prove otherwise they will be one of those teams that tear it up in the regular season and fade away in the post-season.

The talent is there, I don't think anyone is disputing that. But I'm not putting them up there with the Spurs or the Pistons until they can prove that they are on their level. And that level is not defined in the regular season.

But yeah, we're better than the atlanta hawks

Look if your perfectly healthy and you fall. You could fault us on being a regular season team. but until we collapse(we haven't although Boston has) with JT and JO. Their is no proof that we can't bring it in the Playoffs.

Because from what I see hard nosed defense is whats needed in the playoffs and thats what we play.

Well we certainly didn't fade in the playoffs last season. You could say we faded earlier in the season, but given what we were dealt, we overachieved in the postseason last year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Then he changed his reason to we don't have the guy to hit the clutch shot.(Even though Detroit didn't need one in 2004).
    Huh?

Ever heard of Chauncey Billups?

It's not like he led the NBA in clutch shooting that year or anything.....

Never in the last three seasons has there EVER been indecision on who to give the last shot to...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Huh?

Ever head of Chauncey Billups?

Never in the last three seasons has there EVER been indecision on who to give the last shot to...

I knew this post was coming, as soon as I read that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Huh?

Ever heard of Chauncey Billups?

You have a big inferiority complex. Don't you I never said they didn't have one. I said they didn't need one.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    You have a big inferiority complex. Don't you I never said they didn't have one. I said they didn't need one.
    Hmm.....maybe you missed the part where I said he led the NBA that year in clutch shooting ? That would lead one to believe that they did, in fact, NEED him, since they counted on him to hit shots in the last 2 minutes more than any team relied on any player...

Yeah, that's me. Pointing out the fact you weren't making sense is proof of my infiriority complex....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I'll be honest, I never would have guessed Reggie would have been as candid as he was. If you would have asked me I would have told you that he would have just made some bland "they have the talent" statement & been done with it.

The one thing he said that really shocked me because I didn't take it as him joking when he said it, was when he said that James Jones was one of the few Pacers who ever listened to him.

Now I'm just waiting on the shots to be fired at Reggie here on the forum. This will be fun to watch.

I think I got a glimpse of a slight backhanded jab early in this thread when we were talking about hitting clutch shots in the finals.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: Reggie's comments!

Since I did split this, which caused it to sink.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really amazed at how many people on here think we can't beat the Pistons. Honestly, the Pistons just don't scare me that much. They're a very good team, but I believe we're better, especially now. We're more unified, we've added amazing talent and depth, and we are no longer starting a 39-year-old shooting guard. And we were undoubtedly better than Detroit before the brawl.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I'm really amazed at how many people on here think we can't beat the Pistons. Honestly, the Pistons just don't scare me that much. They're a very good team, but I believe we're better, especially now. We're more unified, we've added amazing talent and depth, and we are no longer starting a 39-year-old shooting guard. And we were undoubtedly better than Detroit before the brawl.
    And they still have the best starting five in basketball that seems to dominate us either physically or mentally.

Now I think the loss of Larry Brown will be monumental, and I don't look for them to return to the finals.

However, until proven otherwise, our "core" cannot beat their "core"
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Their core has never played our current core. Time to see what happens.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    And they still have the best starting five in basketball that seems to dominate us either physically or mentally.

Now I think the loss of Larry Brown will be monumental, and I don't look for them to return to the finals.

However, until proven otherwise, our "core" cannot beat their "core"
    Au contraire, por favor.

Last time both "cores" faced each other, it was the Pacers that dominated, both physically and mentally (well, until the cup was thrown, anyhow). You can write that off as "just a regular season game" if you want, but it was Ben and co. that came unraveled with the whoopin' we put on 'em.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Their core has never played our current core. Time to see what happens.
    I'm not sure who you are thinking is our core.

To me the core is JO, Ron, Tinsly, and Jax.

In which they have never played all four, in the playoffs at the same time.

But have played at least 3 of them 2 years in a row

But I don't see any reason to believe that they will again this year either. Undoubtably, Tinsly will be sick, or JO will be injured, or Ron and Jax will be in trouble, or something.

Still, IMO and I'm sorry to say this, but I'd still take their core of Wallace, Wallace, Hamilton, and Billups over ours.

House Sigil:

StephanJackson1

But I don't see any reason to believe that they will again this year either. Undoubtably, Tinsly will be sick, or JO will be injured, or Ron and Jax will be in trouble, or something.

Still, IMO and I'm sorry to say this, but I'd still take their core of Wallace, Wallace, Hamilton, and Billups over ours.

they are going to play together tonight ,aren't they?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Au contraire, por favor.

Last time both "cores" faced each other, it was the Pacers that dominated, both physically and mentally (well, until the cup was thrown, anyhow). You can write that off as "just a regular season game" if you want, but it was Ben and co. that came unraveled with the whoopin' we put on 'em.
    Did Ben lose his cool? Most definitely, but with the fear of this deteriorting quickly, I will just say that it was Ron who truly came unraveled.

And yes, it was just a regular season game. No matter how cliche' that sounds, it definitely matters.

House Sigil:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by StephanJackson1
    they are going to play together tonight ,aren't they?
    Yes...

But I'm talking about the playoffs specifically.

House Sigil:

Mark Boyle pointed out when debating who was better, JO or Artest, that when talking about Ron, it's important to realize his abilities and his negative issues are seperate, and to remember that when talking about their basketball abilities.

I am taking the same stance when talking about this team as a group. I'm not going to handicap my discussion with "but they'll get hurt" or "but he'll get suspended". If that happens, it happens. But right now, we're looking at Tins, Jack, Ron, and JO all together, and for now that is what we should be looking forward to seeing in the playoffs. With that in mind, no, Detroit hasn't delt with it, and IMHO they have what it takes when paired with their supporting cast (Granger, Sarunas, Foster, Cro) to beat Detroit.

Especially now that we have the better coach.

The Core I would think would be Jax Tinsley, Artest, Jo and then probably the two first off the bench too see heavy minutes each night Saras and Granger.. Those would be the Core players ...

Just so everyone knows last call for the Piston Bandwagon is 6:59p.m.Tonight. That's a One Way Ticket, don't be late... and don't let the door hit ya..

Why Not Us ?