Thread: You know him ... You love him ... BILL WALTON!!!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default You know him ... You love him ... BILL WALTON!!!

I love what he says about the role of guards in the game. No wonder he's on TV instead of coaching.

-------------------------------------------

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/ba...l/13043499.htm

Walton: Beware of Lakers

By DAVID MARTINDALE

SPECIAL TO THE STAR-TELEGRAM

Bill Walton, a game and studio analyst for ABC and ESPN's NBA coverage, is itching for the season to begin.

He's eager in part because what passes for basketball in the preseason makes his eyes glaze.

"All you have to do to understand the importance of the exhibition season is to realize that San Antonio [opened] 1-7," Walton said. "And I'm not about to write the Spurs off."

In fact, Walton expects an exciting season from the Spurs, as well as from the Pistons, the Heat and even the Lakers.

Does Phil Jackson's return make the Lakers instantly better? With the addition of Phil Jackson, Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown ... everything is in place for the Lakers to move forward. But for anything to happen on a positive note, Kobe Bryant is going to have to become a team player and a team leader, along the lines of Bill Russell, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Paul Silas. Then the Lakers will move rapidly up the standings.

Fair enough. But you talk the same way about Shaquille O'Neal in Miami, do you? The problem Shaq had in Los Angeles was he and Kobe did not get along. That's not going to be a problem in Miami. These guys realize that Shaq is going to get them to the promised land. You're not going to have any individual agendas disrupt the major flow of the team, which is Shaq and Dwyane Wade.

Yours is truly the perspective of a former NBA big man, isn't it? The guards are basically there to inbound the ball and play a little token defense.

Your new ESPN/ABC analyst colleague, Paul Silas, coached you when you played for the Clippers. Is he a good pickup? I want to say how outstanding this is for the world of basketball to get this great legend on television. I am, though, concerned about Paul's longevity, because I have it on firsthand authority that he is next in line for the Supreme Court opening.

Your response to the new dress code? I have spent all summer sewing collars on my tie-dye T-shirts.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: You know him ... You love him ... BILL WALTON!!!

I hate the guy. Especially when he is announcing games on ESPN. I really could live without this idiots opinions and comments.

Banned

He's great. He's funny. He doesn't take himself of life too seriously. He talks in hyperbole all the time, but that's just his style.

If he really bothers you, then I'd say, "lighten up".

He bugs but I ignore him
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's great. He's funny. He doesn't take himself of life too seriously. He talks in hyperbole all the time, but that's just his style.

If he really bothers you, then I'd say, "lighten up".
    I am a very light-hearted person, yet he can always make me cringe when I hear his incessant rambling. I think that I would like him more had I not seen an entire episode of "Bill Walton's Long, Strange Trip." I can't remember if that is what his show was called, but its something close to it. I lost many a brain cell on that one. I think I kept waiting for something good to happen, and it never did.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yours is truly the perspective of a former NBA big man, isn't it? The guards are basically there to inbound the ball and play a little token defense.

Of course, that's generally true.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mac_Daddy
    I am a very light-hearted person, yet he can always make me cringe when I hear his incessant rambling. I think that I would like him more had I not seen an entire episode of "Bill Walton's Long, Strange Trip." I can't remember if that is what his show was called, but its something close to it. I lost many a brain cell on that one. I think I kept waiting for something good to happen, and it never did.
    I watched a couple episodes of that also. It was a weird show.

I just like Walton. He's goofy. Listening to him ramble on and on is interesting to me, considering that 30 years ago he stuttered so badly that he literally could not speak in public. No he makes his living at it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fair enough. But you talk the same way about Shaquille O'Neal in Miami, do you? The problem Shaq had in Los Angeles was he and Kobe did not get along. That's not going to be a problem in Miami. These guys realize that Shaq is going to get them to the promised land. You're not going to have any individual agendas disrupt the major flow of the team, which is Shaq and Dwyane Wade.
    Ummm, did he forget about the three guys they added. GP isn't as bad as Toine or JWill, but those are three egos that need major floor time, and the ball in their hands to boot.

They take the flow away from Shaq and Wade. They have to prove otherwise, not the other way around.

Your new ESPN/ABC analyst colleague, Paul Silas, coached you when you played for the Clippers. Is he a good pickup? I want to say how outstanding this is for the world of basketball to get this great legend on television. I am, though, concerned about Paul's longevity, because I have it on firsthand authority that he is next in line for the Supreme Court opening.
    Paul Silas a TV legend? Okay, did I miss something? He kisses butt like no other.

Your response to the new dress code? I have spent all summer sewing collars on my tie-dye T-shirts.
    Does he still think he actually plays? His body couldn't hold up when he was 28, let alone 58.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson
    I watched a couple episodes of that also. It was a weird show.

I just like Walton. He's goofy. Listening to him ramble on and on is interesting to me, considering that 30 years ago he stuttered so badly that he literally could not speak in public. No he makes his living at it.
    lol... I did not know he had a stutter.

Sports Logo

Bill Walton = Piston's Homer
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Bill Walton can eat my shorts.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I don't mind Bill announcing sometimes. I think he can ge pretty funny but he clearly has his favorites. At least we'll have someone on the inside this season.

woman without a team

Back in the old days (O.K, 2 years ago) when Dan Patrick had co-hosts on his radio show they would always have bets on the over under on how long Bill would talk after they said hello to him. I think the longest was something like 9 minutes.

He was on Wheel of Fortune tonight. I couldn't change the channel fast enough.

I absolutely can't stand him. I haven't been able to since we played the Knicks in one of those series when Reggie kept killing them.

Anyway, before game 1 he rambled how we didn't have a chance. We were outmatched, and blah blah blah. I recalled it so vividly because it pissed me off. Then comes game 7 .... oh now he sings another tune. Even going as far as to say "I knew they had it in them all along". Soured me on him very early.

Really ... REALLY can't stand him.

thought_criminal

He's on my all-time all-white-guy team.

Along with Jerry West, Rick Berry, Pistol Pete, and Larry Bird

Once you realize that even Bill doesn't believe anything he says he's much easier to listen to.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Once you realize that even Bill doesn't believe anything he says he's much easier to listen to.
    The actual sound of his voice is annoying to me, let alone the content.

He definately has a radio face, but not a radio/TV voice.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bill Walton is annoying as all hell. His "act" has gotten waaaaay too old. Now, you just have to wonder if he actually believes even 10% of the absurd garbage that comes rolling out of his mouth.

He kind of reminds me of Tom Green. I HATE Tom Green.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Bill Walton is annoying as all hell. His "act" has gotten waaaaay too old. Now, you just have to wonder if he actually believes even 10% of the absurd garbage that comes rolling out of his mouth.
    The worst day of my life was the day Bill Walton said something I agreed with.