Thread: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution } Atlanta hoping (or was) to land Samaki ?

Default The Atlanta Journal-Constitution } Atlanta hoping (or was) to land Samaki ?

I have to assume they are indicating they were hoping Samaki was going to be cut as opposed to trading Indiana for him ?

Looking for a big

By Sekou Smith Wednesday, October 26, 2005, 03:50 PM
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    I know we’re a day early on this but so what?
    Thursday’s 6 p.m. deadline for trimming rosters has added importance for the Hawks, who will officially begin their search for a) Jason Collier’s replacement and b) the second big man they were going to go after anyway.

There is a long list of names of people who COULD be available. Two of the more prominent names being tossed around are Samaki Walker in Indiana and Francisco Elson in Denver. Either would be a welcome addition for a Hawks team in dire need of another big body for a frontcourt rotation that is ridiculously thin.

But with plenty of cap room, the Hawks could also work a deal to land something better. The obvious needs: 1) a big man who can play pick-and-roll with backup point guard Tyronn Lue, which gives the second unit a staple when its on the floor and 2) another big (as coaches love to call them) willing to rebound, play defense and do the junk work that most players shy away from.
    Other interesting tidbits

[SIZE=2]I can see why Hawks fans are ticked off: Magloire would have been exactly what the team needed to shore up the middle. But Bucks fans skeptical of the move need to realize what their team is dealing with in the Central Division. Indiana, Detroit and Cleveland are loaded. So if you want to keep up, you better find big men to rival the big men on those teams. Magloire, Andrew Bogut, Dan Gadzuric and Joe Smith look pretty good to me[/SIZE

Going up against a have

| Monday, October 24, 2005, 03:50 PM
    The Hawks’ matchup tonight against Miami reminds me of the difference between the NBA’s haves and the have-nots.
    The haves are gearing up to play into the summer of 2006 while the have-nots are gearing up to play through the All-Star break before retooling. The Hawks are light in the middle while the Heat have Shaq, Alonzo Mourning and a promising young center Earl Barron, whom the Heat coaches believe could be a major factor.
    The Heat’s deep enough that Antoine Walker is coming off their bench. A guy who was arguably the Hawks’ best player (for half of) last year, is coming off their bench!
    That’s why a game like tonight, even without key players available (Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams and Tony Delk won’t play) is a great test for the Hawks. And it’s the only way to gauge how far away they are from the top of the Eastern Conference, and some people believe the league.
    I don’t know if I am convinced yet that this Miami team is the leading contender in the East. Indiana and Detroit figure to be strong and the Heat has to integrate ‘Toine and Jason Williams into their system. So I think we have to wait and see how they play before crowning the Heat.
    But we’ll know a lot more about the Hawks after tonight because we’ll know if they’re just road kill for the top teams in the league or if they’re going to put up a fight.
    First impressions, Part 2

By
    Sekou Smith
    Friday, October 21, 2005, 03:50 PM
    Welcome to Day 2 of our first impressions list
    John Edwards: The raw materials in attendance. The execution, however, remains a work in progress. Edwards is basically a rookie, he played so sparingly last season in Indiana last season and was mostly a spectator in practice. He’ll be the biggest project for the coaches this season. And the more work the better. Because the Hawks are going to need him before season’s end.

Al Harrington — He’s been just about everything you could want from a veteran leader on a young team. He’s developing a nice chemistry with Joe Johnson, too, as they’ll have to work in tandem often as the Hawks’ primary scorers.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...wks/index.html

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution } Atlanta hoping (or was) to land Samaki ?

How does the contract situation work at training camp? Is Samaki already signed to a non-guaranteed contract that lasts into the season or could Atlanta make an overture to his agent and make an offer before the Pacers can lock him in for the year? ...Even create a 'bidding war' of sorts?

I hope not because I don't think TPTB of the Pacer organization would be interested in any bidding.... at all...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution } Atlanta hoping (or was) to land Samaki ?

I say sign him, and then trade him for a pick when we are done with him.

If anyone trades a pick for Samaki Walker they should be fired, might as well pick up Slip he is better then Samaki for a team like the Hawks.

Samaki Walker for Al Harrington?
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Samaki Walker for Al Harrington?
    If they throw in JJ and we put in Fred I will only consider it then.

Come on this is atlanta. We might be able to get a first round pick

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Samaki is signed and I think he will be, I don't think he can be traded for a least two months or something like that. I am not sure why it's like that but I am pretty sure that is how it works.

A whole season of Smaki..... it hurts.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    A whole season of Smaki..... it hurts.
    If your an opposing guard it sure does.

Man did you see the picks this guy has been setting?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck

Yes his overall game isn't quite as bad as I had been saying.

He is just a total fluck-up on the offensive side though....
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is just the 15th man. I think he will be solid in that role.

I'm trying not to be too hard on Atlanta after Collier's passing, but why in the world would you give Edwards $2M when Samaki's still available in the first place?

Actually, this speaks well of Samaki in my estimation. He may very well have had offers from such bottom feeders, but decided he'd take a non-guaranteed contract with a contending team instead.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck

I thought I heard that the refs are going to be calling those picks ALOT more this season??.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    I thought I heard that the refs are going to be calling those picks ALOT more this season??.
    They sure ain't so far. And if they're not in the preseason, they sure as hell aren't going to when the games count.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    There's nothing to call if the pick is set properly...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Hold on ... Francisco Elson was also available?

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Seeing that article and the byline - Sekou Smith, reminds me that he used to write for the Star. Why'd he leave? Was he an original Indiana guy? My suspicions would make me think that he's a Gannett guy and moving up the ladder... but I don't remember him being bad covering us here. Anyone know anything?
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman