I have to assume they are indicating they were hoping Samaki was going to be cut as opposed to trading Indiana for him ?

Looking for a big

By Sekou Smith Wednesday, October 26, 2005, 03:50 PM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
I know we’re a day early on this but so what?
Thursday’s 6 p.m. deadline for trimming rosters has added importance for the Hawks, who will officially begin their search for a) Jason Collier’s replacement and b) the second big man they were going to go after anyway.

There is a long list of names of people who COULD be available. Two of the more prominent names being tossed around are Samaki Walker in Indiana and Francisco Elson in Denver. Either would be a welcome addition for a Hawks team in dire need of another big body for a frontcourt rotation that is ridiculously thin.

But with plenty of cap room, the Hawks could also work a deal to land something better. The obvious needs: 1) a big man who can play pick-and-roll with backup point guard Tyronn Lue, which gives the second unit a staple when its on the floor and 2) another big (as coaches love to call them) willing to rebound, play defense and do the junk work that most players shy away from.
Other interesting tidbits

[SIZE=2]I can see why Hawks fans are ticked off: Magloire would have been exactly what the team needed to shore up the middle. But Bucks fans skeptical of the move need to realize what their team is dealing with in the Central Division. Indiana, Detroit and Cleveland are loaded. So if you want to keep up, you better find big men to rival the big men on those teams. Magloire, Andrew Bogut, Dan Gadzuric and Joe Smith look pretty good to me[/SIZE

Going up against a have

| Monday, October 24, 2005, 03:50 PM
The Hawks’ matchup tonight against Miami reminds me of the difference between the NBA’s haves and the have-nots.
The haves are gearing up to play into the summer of 2006 while the have-nots are gearing up to play through the All-Star break before retooling. The Hawks are light in the middle while the Heat have Shaq, Alonzo Mourning and a promising young center Earl Barron, whom the Heat coaches believe could be a major factor.
The Heat’s deep enough that Antoine Walker is coming off their bench. A guy who was arguably the Hawks’ best player (for half of) last year, is coming off their bench!
That’s why a game like tonight, even without key players available (Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams and Tony Delk won’t play) is a great test for the Hawks. And it’s the only way to gauge how far away they are from the top of the Eastern Conference, and some people believe the league.
I don’t know if I am convinced yet that this Miami team is the leading contender in the East. Indiana and Detroit figure to be strong and the Heat has to integrate ‘Toine and Jason Williams into their system. So I think we have to wait and see how they play before crowning the Heat.
But we’ll know a lot more about the Hawks after tonight because we’ll know if they’re just road kill for the top teams in the league or if they’re going to put up a fight.
First impressions, Part 2

By
Sekou Smith
Friday, October 21, 2005, 03:50 PM
Welcome to Day 2 of our first impressions list
John Edwards: The raw materials in attendance. The execution, however, remains a work in progress. Edwards is basically a rookie, he played so sparingly last season in Indiana last season and was mostly a spectator in practice. He’ll be the biggest project for the coaches this season. And the more work the better. Because the Hawks are going to need him before season’s end.

Al Harrington — He’s been just about everything you could want from a veteran leader on a young team. He’s developing a nice chemistry with Joe Johnson, too, as they’ll have to work in tandem often as the Hawks’ primary scorers.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...wks/index.html