Thread: Rate my team

Default Rate my team

Hey, I'm still a relative newbie at this, and have modest confidence in my choices.

So tell me how good/bad/awful my team is, and what would have been smarter to do; I'm trying to learn here.

G - Steve Nash (PHO)
    G - Larry Hughes (CLE)
    F - Lamar Odom (LAL)
    F - Josh Howard (DAL)
    CF - Raef Lafrentz (BOS)
    FG - Morris Peterson (TOR)
    G - Jameer Nelson (ORL)
    G - Devin Harris (DAL)
    F - Corliss Williamson (SAC)
    CF - Darko Milicic (DET)
    G - Kerry Kittles (LAC)
    C - Michael Doleac (MIA)

sweabs

Default Re: Rate my team

Well, your guard position is strong between Nash/Hughes/Nelson/Harris, and your forwards aren't too bad.

However, you really need some centre help. Raef will probably give you around 30 productive minutes, which still means you have to fill up 18...which would currently be going to Darko. First off, I don't know if Darko will be playing 18 minutes/game. And if he does, if one of those guys gets injured, you have a gap of centre minutes that aren't even being filled. I always make a habit to at least carry 3 centres on my roster.

Speaking of which, if you need one...how about Chris Wilcox for Hughes? Straight up?

The top five listed there are all solid players - Nash is better than that IF he can come close to matching last year with Stoudamire, JJ and Q gone. Nelson's solid and projected on a lot of sites to be a starter.

You center position isn't as strong as I'd like. Right now you have one starter and 2 reserves - that doesn't give you much injury protection, particularly if it's Lafrentz who goes down. I always like to have 2 starters and 1 reserve at C. That way you can still cover minutes with 1 injury. Milicic's a wild card who could really help your team if he gets PT.

The rest of your lineup guys are just OK - I'd be watching the waiver wire once the season starts to see if you can do a gradual upgrade. Williamson puts up decent numbers as a reserve but the rest of the guys have historically been pretty low.

Not bad though - but you might look at other teams for someone who has a bunch of centers but is light on guards and see about swinging a deal.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I'm so setting myself up for deception, but:

Should I trade Hughes for Wilcox?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

No, never!

Rcarey was just being funny.

Oh boy - usually once the season starts we tell people to sink or swim on their own and I hate to bust up someone's deal but no way on God's green Earth should you even think about that. In fact, I'd probably vote to rescind that deal. It's complete robbery.

I don't know exactly what Hughes' production is but no way do I trade him for someone who isn't a certified, solid NBA starter - and with numbers at least in the same ballpark as Hughes. Centers are worth a little more than everyone else - supply and demand. But don't give the farm away.

edit: For some reason I missed rcarey's contribution.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Oh boy - usually once the season starts we tell people to sink or swim on their own and I hate to bust up someone's deal but no way on God's green Earth should you even think about that. In fact, I'd probably vote to rescind that deal. It's complete robbery.

I don't know exactly what Hughes' production is but no way do I trade him for someone who isn't a certified, solid NBA starter - and with numbers at least in the same ballpark as Hughes. Centers are worth a little more than everyone else - supply and demand. But don't give the farm away.

edit: For some reason I missed rcarey's contribution.
    Yeah you missed my contribution - plagiarism!

Thanks for ruining my big deal Jose & Rim.......but since you let him know, then fine...I'll throw in Dahntay Jones for the hell of it, okay Hicks?

You actually made me laugh out loud though - you really ARE a noobie for this stuff eh?

By the way, I would never pull the trigger on a trade like that. Obviously I'm just being a smart-ass, but even in the league I run, I've had to rescind a real-lopsided trade before. It happens, and usually I look down upon the person who takes advantage of the new guy like that.

This is one of my more sad newbie moments. I knew how good Hughes was, but I couldn't remember if Wilcox had become something nearly that solid in LA or not. Hence why I asked. I can't believe (well, wait, yes I can ) I didn't see it as a joke up front.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I got 4 centers even though Ratliff, and Diop aren't going to play.

I like my team a lot having Iverson/B. Jackson/Daniels at G, Howard(his remaning minutes)/J. Smith/Wells at F, and Okur/Howard at C.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

This is one of my more sad newbie moments. I knew how good Hughes was, but I couldn't remember if Wilcox had become something nearly that solid in LA or not. Hence why I asked. I can't believe (well, wait, yes I can ) I didn't see it as a joke up front.
    What I do with every trade offer is calculate my points scored based on the production of my current team, then plug in what the production would be after the trade and compare.

Once you have that you can look at other things like depth, injury concerns, etc. - but that's move number one. It's also why I never give an up or down to trade offers at work - I leave all my fantasy stuff at home. Other than posts, I don't do fantasy bball at work.

I have 3 starting centers. I know how you like Brad Miller, plus I've got Emeka Okafor and Chris Kamann. I'd consider a deal as long as I get the best player on your team. HAHAHAHAHHAHAAA!

Damn, I so funny.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez