Thread: Pacers @ Spurs Recap

Default Pacers @ Spurs Recap

Just got back from the game. A few observations of the team members:

Starters

O'Neal - He was letting Duncan score very easily and he did not box out much, but he did get a few nice steals. His offense was pretty good when going strong to the basket, not so good when fading or forcing things through double teams(which btw was not very often). Nice game.

Artest - On the first possesion of the game, he basically walked up to Manu and confiscated the ball. I thought that was pretty cool. He played very good D all game, I don't think Manu scored. He made an extra long 3 ball, but overall struggled to score. He couldn't make free throws, either. Decent game.

Jackson - He shot well; I only counted 1 bad shot. Solid D, other than picking up cheap fouls on the perimeter. I get a kick out of him putting both arms straight up in the air when a teammate shoots an open 3. Good game.

Tinsley - Only played the first half, but Parker was somewhat helpless against him early on. He was getting in the paint easily and finishing quite nicely. Played well in limited minutes.

Croshere - I've seen him in person a number of times, and this is the first time I wasn't hoping for him to be pulled asap. He was actually something like a beast out there. He was hitting shots, drawing fouls, grabbing rebounds, tapping loose balls to teammates, etc. I was truly amazed. He also got his chance to get lit up by Duncan. Phenomenal game (maybe my expectations are a little low for him).

Non-starters

Granger - I was looking forward to finally seeing him play and he left a little to be desired. He didn't play poorly, he just kinda blended in. Having to guard Duncan didn't help, as he picked up a couple of quick fouls as soon as he came in. I was waiting to see him crash the boards and he didn't grab a single rebound. On a good note, he is obviously a good passer and I could see he has skills, but it just wasn't his night.

Jasikevicius - A very quick trigger, and quite the marksman. He threw timely passes that his teammates were not always ready for. He made a few minor mistakes, but I thouroughly enjoyed watching him play (I'll admit I was a little skeptical). Loved his game.

Jones - He played well. Wasn't looking to shoot, but his passes were on point. My favorite thing about his game was his 1 on 1 defense against Finley. Strong game.

Walker - First, I have never been a fan of the guy. So, like Croshere, I didn't expect much. And, like Croshere, I was pleasently surprised. He made Sean Marks look like Sean Marks.

Johnson - This guy grew on me last year. Previously, I couldn't stand watching him play. I can now appreciate what he brings. The guy is a vet and a solid pro.

Brown - He's Tall

Snap - Incomplete

Gill - He came in during the 4th quarter and immedately got the ball and threw it away for a turnover. Other than that, he was virtually unstoppable.

I took pictures, but they suck. Better of looking at the AP photos.

sweabs

Default Re: Pacers @ Spurs Recap

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gill - He came in during the 4th quarter and immedately got the ball and threw it away for a turnover. Other than that, he was virtually unstoppable.
    Quote of the year!

Thanks for the recap. As you mentioned, Jermaine obviously had a difficult time with Duncan on defense (like most people will). But that's probably one area we will really miss Foster - our games against the Spurs!

With Ronnie, that's the sole beauty of his game. Even if he's having an off-night, you know he's going to be an important guy out there who is shutting down his man. And that wasn't any ordinary guy he was covering...that was Ginobili. Great to hear that he still has his lateral quicks (or maybe Ginobili just played god-awful).

By all reports, Croshere has been playing some solid basketball. I'm willing to bet that the lineup we go with until our bigs get healthy involves Austin at the 4 spot. Does anyone disagree? After reading the article with Croshere in IS, I wonder if he has a little fire lit under him knowing that he could have very well been an amnesty-clause victim? Something like that has to light a fire under you...just a little bit, at least.

Croshere has been very impressive in the preseason, I just hope it carries over into the regular season.

Slick said on the Radio that this is the first time he thinks Croshere looks like the guy that played in the 2000 finals. He said he was even playing credible defense. That's great because it doesn't look like we need a backup for JO.

Harmonica

Nice recap dannyboy. Thanks!

OMG imagine if Cro is that guy from 2000.

We added Bender, Cro, Granger, Sarunas and Artest all this offseason.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness

Not so quick on the "added Bender" part.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue
    Croshere has been very impressive in the preseason, I just hope it carries over into the regular season.
    I read in the paper that Carlisle said Cro was having his best camp ever. With the injuries to the big guys we need him to keep it up.

You jinxed it

That'd be niiiice.