Thread: Do the Pacers Realistically Have a Shot at the Championship This Year?

Default Do the Pacers Realistically Have a Shot at the Championship This Year?

I think everyone would agree that the Pacers have a chance to win the East. But do the Pacers really have a chance to win it all?

I think this playoff season will tell a great deal about this team because things are finally starting to come together. Tinsley is a capable PG. Foster is a capable C. Oneal and Artest are all-stars, and Reggie can still be explosive. With Bender, Harrington, Jones, Croshere on the bench, they are potentially explosive. And Carlisle does well, as does his coaching staff.

I still worry about the youth of this team, and about the playoff experience outside of Reggie. Teams like the Kings and Lakers have been there plenty of times and know what it takes all the way around. Having the best record, and being hot doesn't mean that they are actually capable of competing for the championship. I sincerely hope that they can get there, but I think it's likely that if they do, they'll be in for an awakening.

The Pacers and Pistons are already proving that East is slowly catching up, and that the West's days are numbered. What I hope, is that after this playoff run, the franchise will consider making the right moves to catapult them to the championship level, which would mean dropping a couple of the young guys for seasoned players in their prime. The Pistons pickup of Rasheed Wallace shows what a good move can do. And I think that in the ECF, after it's all said and done, the Pacers will realize that they need a little more, and that they should take it will one the greatest clutch and three point shooters is wearing a Pacers jersey.

With that said, I think they have a chance, and I would be ecstatic if they made it to the finals. And as I believe in miracles, of course if they got there, with home court advantage, I have to believe they would have a chance.

Default Re: Do the Pacers Realistically Have a Shot at the Championship This Year?

I don't really want to talk about the Finals just yet, since they have not proved that we can get out of the first round. Once that happens, lets take one game at a time. Like they are doing.

And i do not think we need anyone else to win. We have all the pieces here.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Default Re: Do the Pacers Realistically Have a Shot at the Championship This Year?

The two teams I'd like to meet the least are the Pistons and the Lakers.

To win a championship, we'd have to go through both of them, which is as it should be.

Ask me in two months.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't really want to talk about the Finals just yet, since they have not proved that we can get out of the first round. Once that happens, lets take one game at a time. Like they are doing.

And i do not think we need anyone else to win. We have all the pieces here.
    Actually... I think we'd need to consider why we lost- IF we lost- and base any player moves on that. Also, you have to see what is out there. Who knows what someone would offer and then you have to look at what that would do to the team.

We also need to keep an eye on the rearview mirror to see who is after us and what they are doing... even if we do go deep into playoffs.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden