Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vecsey} Pacers interested in Magliore

Default Vecsey} Pacers interested in Magliore

This isn't the first rumor that has the Pacers interested in Magliore. Rumor was they were interested before the draft.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/53784.htm

Sign Or Trade
    by Peter Vecsey, NY Post

October 23, 2005 -- Hoop du Jour DUE to deadlines and (no) commitments, one or two major trades, possibly more, are almost guaranteed to ignite before a World Series winner is declared some time before stockings are hung with the greatest of care.

Actually, NBA teams only have until Oct. 31 to extend first-round draft picks with three years' service. The Suns and Rockets exhausted no brain power when choosing to lock up Amare Stoudemire and Yao Ming at max money for the next five seasons after this one.

Decisions regarding how much, if anything, to invest long-term in Nene, Tayshaun Prince, Mike Dunleavy, Fred Jones, Chris Wilcox, Melvin Ely, Drew Gooden, Caron Butler, Jared Jeffries, Jeri Welsch, Rasual Butler and John Salmons continue.

Nene headlines my list of the unsigned, because he's most likely to be ceded within the next eight days. The Nuggets already are softly flirting with this year's luxury tax level of $61.7 million. They're $4.8 million below, and that's far too close for comfort for owner E. Stanley Kroenke. Meanwhile, without Nene on next season's salary cap books, they'd be at $53,695,295.

Thus, it appears Denver cannot afford to sign its 6-11, 260-pound Man From Sao Carlos, Brazil. At the same time, they're afraid the forward formerly known as Maybyner Rodney Hilario will generate an offer too big to match next summer.

In other words, here today, gone later today.

Sad to say, your guess is as good as mine as to where Nene figures to wind up. All I know for sure is the Grizzlies, Bulls, Hawks and probably a dozen other teams have ample minutes for him in their starting lineup.

Another name on loose lips is Jamaal Magliore. Sources say the Pacers, Grizzlies, Bulls, Clippers, Hawks, and Blazers are all over the Hornets regarding their All-Star (two seasons back) center, who'd really rather leave but is keeping a low profile so his exodus can be handled professionally.

Supposedly, there's something semi-serious in the works involving Magliore and Corey Maggette, but my L.A. pipeline somewhat devalues that floating perception. While admitting there has been some talk along those lines, he states he can't see it happening unless the deal is expanded mightily to include J.R. Smith.

It's inconceivable that the Hornets would even entertain such an impure thought. Barring a severely swollen ego (judging by Smith's unsavory shot selection, it's plain to see he's appreciably smitten with himself), J. R. and rookie playmaker Chris Paul, an inherent leader, are the franchise's backcourt for now and forever.

By the way, did you see where the Garden was overrun last night by sumo wrestlers? Fifteen of them were able to beat Eddy Curry back on defense.

Contrary to widespread reports, the Celtics and Clippers never have engaged in any conversation whatsoever re Maggette and Paul Pierce. It's almost amusing that one obscure publication can fabricate a story and how many established newspapers run with it without bothering (maybe they just don't have the necessary resources) to fact check.

Obviously that's too much to ask when everyone working for hoopshype.com evidently failed English comprehension. Last week I wrote that Charles Barkley encouraged Eddy Curry to take the DNA test even though it's not multiple choice. Naturally, the Internet site doesn't get it without sub-titles; Barkley's "message" to Curry became a hoopshype headline. For the edification of hoopshype.com these next items are fact, not facetious, from real sources, not pretend:

The Celtics approached the Mavericks a while back about Pierce but were rejected for two reasons. Dallas believes you can't have two official scorers and everyone's very satisfied with the one (Dirk Nowitzki) already on tap. Moreover, acquiring Pierce meant also having to take a bad contract or two off Boston's cap.

Darius Miles, who may very well be the Trail Blazers' point leader this season if Zach Randolph's surgically-repaired (mirofracture) knee (and attitude) doesn't improve any time soon was offered for Maggette last week; my Paper Clips weren't remotely interested.

Default Re: Vecsey} Pacers interested in Magliore

Here we go again...

Did anyone else find that article very difficult the read, just the way it was written? I mean, I know it's Peter Vecsey.. But it was written very oddly. Maybe it's just because it's really late?

Naptown Seth

I'd love for Bender to keep up his high caliber play into the regular season. His trade value would skyrocket, and he would be a very attractive piece to the Hornets.

Bender + Fred Jones + 1st for Magloires.

Tinsley/Saras/Johnson
    Jackson/Johnson/Artest
    Artest/Granger/Jackson
    O'Neal/Foster/Croshere
    Magloire/Pollard/Harrison

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Huxtable
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here we go again...

Did anyone else find that article very difficult the read, just the way it was written? I mean, I know it's Peter Vecsey.. But it was written very oddly. Maybe it's just because it's really late?
    My Peter Vescey Tolerance Level has dropped off rather sharply lately. Used to be you could find some decent info in it but now it's just garbage.

The day will come when his articles will consist of nothing but lame one-liners.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

How about Vescey giving Hoopshype.com a lot of free pub?

Guys like Vescey think the world wakes up to read him, and it often manifests itself by ripping his competition. He either had so little to say this week he was desperate, or he was so consumed by his competition (even though the comparison is apples to oranges) that it reduced limited point of view even more.

He's probably still upset that TNT dumped him, only to see a guy like Chad Ford, who had a similar site to Hoopshype.com before guesting on ESPN, become a full blown employee at ESPN. He's probably worried another non-newsprint endowed member of the media will get his shot, surpassing Vescey's dreams.

He'd be nice to have, but I don't see us having the pieces to get it done.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    As has been pointed out, it's all about Bender.

Granger's going to take the role we had for Bender (backup PF/SF) if he becomes half the player we think he's going to be. I really think that Bender might have finally been made extraneous in the minds of TPTB now that Granger's doing so well. Otherwise, why push him towards PF if that's Bender's spot?

Bender/AJ/Fred/Cro/First/Cash works for Mags/Brown/Butler. We get mags, keep a body at PF (don't think Brown's better than Cro at this stage of life), and cut salary slightly.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Read in the NY Daily News today, that teams shouldn't bother approaching the Pacers about Artest unless you are offering a top 10 player in return.

If Bender keeps playing the way he does, I don't think I trade him for anything, either. Bender creates mismatches all over the place. If said party remains healthy, it would be foolish to trade him for a guy who is past his prime.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    If Bender keeps playing the way he does, I don't think I trade him for anything, either. Bender creates mismatches all over the place. If said party remains healthy, it would be foolish to trade him for a guy who is past his prime.
    Fool's gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Fool's gold.
    He can keep doing it if he can stay healthy. Of course, the odds of that...

Like I said, we're better off w/ Granger than Bender. If Bender stays hot, we should trade him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Aggreed!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

You think trade him like we did Duane Ferrell back in the 90's when he got hot? I'm not so sure I'd trade Bender, but I'm not sold he's not fools gold either.

Basically my jury is still out.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Here's the thing. Let's say Bender becomes everything we hope he can become. What then?

The man doesn't have a place on this team. It's grown past him. Granger has the opportunity to fit in very well, and every minute Bender is on the court is a minute Granger isn't getting experience.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    He can keep doing it if he can stay healthy. Of course, the odds of that...

Like I said, we're better off w/ Granger than Bender. If Bender stays hot, we should trade him.
    I refuse to even entertain the thought.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Than also take into account the salary he is commanding now and WILL be commanding IF (big "if") he stays healthy, besides that we are up short for minutes now that Granger is on the team.

Freddie, Jonathan (IF he indeed has a decent to good season, meaning atleast 60 games) and and a couple of future 2nd rounders should net us a decent Center, add Foster and subtract the 2nd rounders and we could TRY for something better than decent, I guess.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would make sure AJ was sent in the deal to get Mag. It's not that I don't like AJ, but having 4 PGs on one team is crazy.

AJ or Fred+Foster+1st round pick for Mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    If Bender keeps playing the way he does, I don't think I trade him for anything, either. Bender creates mismatches all over the place.
    Sure does - when he's on defense any other team has an automatic mismatch to take advantage of.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I wouldn't trade Foster. He is literally the perfect fit for our team. We have all the fire power we need in JO, Ronnie, SJax, Sarunas, and Granger. Foster is the hustler that everyone wants on their team. He doesn't demand the ball in the post and he is tough as nails. I read an interesting fact on Foster the other day. Did you know that Jeff didn't get an allowance or have a job in high school? His dad gave him a dollar for every rebound he got. I know that was a little off topic but I thought it was very interesting. Back on topic, Foster is the man for the Pacers whether it be starting or coming of the bench. He brings the old school game that made the NBA so great and competitive and fun to watch. Foster stays!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Here's the thing. Let's say Bender becomes everything we hope he can become. What then?

The man doesn't have a place on this team. It's grown past him. Granger has the opportunity to fit in very well, and every minute Bender is on the court is a minute Granger isn't getting experience.
    Madness. Are you forgetting that RON ARTEST is our #2 scorer? ONE incident and everything changes drastically. Then we're back to last season but with a good looking rookie. Bender then becomes a HUGE piece of the puzzle. As he will on THIS years team.
    Hulk/Bender/Granger second unit.
    What doesn't fit there?????????????????????????????

If JB turns out to be the player we've been hoping he'd be for what.. 7 seasons now.. I'd say keep him. If he's THAT good We'll make room for him. Now if Granger proves to be as good as - or better than advertised, along with an outstanding Bender, then you might see Artest go bye bye as much as I hate to say that. Artest could get us a top tier 2 guard... and while I like SJax, I think we can do better. But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here. But point is, If Granger is as good as advertised - or better - then there's just not room for him and Artest on the same team.

Not saying I'm all for an Artest trade, because I'm not, but that's reality. If Granger is THAT good, you gotta make him happy and put him in the lineup. Maybe eventually Artest can help us get that center we so badly need? Who knows?

I'd rather Granger make Ron expendible than Bender.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood

Are you kidding?

We have plenty of pieces to "get it done", the question is if we would part with certian players.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    I'd rather Granger make Ron expendible than Bender.
    I wouldn't go that far.