Thread: Star} No trades in works by Pacers for now

Default Star} No trades in works by Pacers for now

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...510220449/1088

No trades in works by Pacers for now
    Uncertain injury situation forces team to live with payroll

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com
    The Indiana Pacers intended to trim payroll and alleviate their tax burden by exploring trade opportunities. But injuries and championship potential have persuaded them to change their mind, for now, about trying to get closer to the $61.7 million luxury tax threshold.

Pacers president Larry Bird said outside of making two cuts to get the roster to 15 players, he doesn't anticipate making a move before the season starts.

"I would never say we're not going to make a trade because you never know, but right now I'm happy with this team and it looks like who we're going to go with," Bird said. "You don't want to make a move just to make a move. You have to make sure you have a team that can compete."

The Pacers talked throughout the offseason about wanting to avoid paying the luxury tax. The Pacers are about $10 million over the threshold. Teams pay a dollar-for-dollar tax on the excess.

"We'd like to get that number down, but we've had so many injuries in the preseason that we haven't really seen our whole team together," Bird said.
    Centers David Harrison and Jeff Foster have yet to play in a preseason game. Forward Jermaine O'Neal returned Thursday after being out with a right thigh contusion.

Barring a roster move, the Pacers enter the regular season with four point guards: Jamaal Tinsley, Anthony Johnson, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Eddie Gill. Coach Rick Carlisle will use two point guards together at times.

Default Re: Star} No trades in works by Pacers for now

Right after the draft, and after they signed Sarunas the Pacer brass said they were not done making moves yet. Then they didn't make any so I figured they were happy with the team they had.

With all the injuries to centers though I thought it possible they might make a last minute trade. Now unless they are offered something good, it doesn't look like they will make a trade.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

actually, the obvious trade in my mind is dumping pollard for salary relief. possibly coupled with a guard (freddie or aj) being traded for a big man.

now, with both foster and harrison fighting injuries, i guess tptb have decided to hang on to pollard a little longer. near the trade deadline is the most logical time for a salary dump, anyway.

of course, it could also be cro or bender who's being shopped, but pollard (big man, expiring contract) is definitely the better trade bait.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    actually, the obvious trade in my mind is dumping pollard for salary relief. possibly coupled with a guard (freddie or aj) being traded for a big man.

now, with both foster and harrison fighting injuries, i guess tptb have decided to hang on to pollard a little longer. near the trade deadline is the most logical time for a salary dump, anyway.

of course, it could also be cro or bender who's being shopped, but pollard (big man, expiring contract) is definitely the better trade bait.
    I'm pretty sure Pollard IS salary relief, as he is in the last year of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    I'm pretty sure Pollard IS salary relief, as he is in the last year of his contract.
    Right.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say we make a minor trade at the deadline to get rid of one of our 4 point guards.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    i mean relief THIS year. as it is, pollard will cost the team over $10M this year, including luxury tax.

the idea is we trade pollard to an under-the-cap team, say atlanta. atlanta gets to rent a vet big man for a while, while pacers save big bucks.

i'm pretty sure this is what larry bird is hinting at.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Why on earth are we taking this at face value?

Granted, the Bird/Walsh years have been "leakier" than the Walsh solo years, but they ALWAYS deny working on trades. Always. This is for two reasons: 1) they don't want to ever bust a deal before it's done, and 2) they never want any players to feel unwanted until they are out the door.

News that the Pacers are not working on a trade = NO NEWS AT ALL. They're never "working on a trade" even when they actually are.

The only way I would consider trading Pollard is if the Pacers get someone who is better at defending Shaq. Since that is next to impossible the Pacers better not trade Pollard. I don't care how much money it saves them. That money will be well spent if the Pacers face the Heat in the ECF. Of course if Shaq suffers a season ending injury, then Pollard isn't needed so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    The only way I would consider trading Pollard is if the Pacers get someone who is better at defending Shaq. Since that is next to impossible the Pacers better not trade Pollard. I don't care how much money it saves them. That money will be well spent if the Pacers face the Heat in the ECF. Of course if Shaq suffers a season ending injury, then Pollard isn't needed so much.
    Also the thought occured to me how valuable will it be at times to have Samaki a guy who Practiced against Shaq everyday. Not to say he is going to slow Shaq down, but just having a guy that is familiar with his moves, certainly does not hurt.

Why Not Us ?

Gill and Cro are gone in my eyes. AJ if Tinsley continues to improve his D.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Cro isnt going anywhere.....

Nobody wants him, and Bird likes him.........
    pluse like Bender two years on an inflated contract.....

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Cro isnt going anywhere.....

Nobody wants him, and Bird likes him.........
    Yup, no one in the NBA is going to take Cro this year, next year maybe but I doubt the Pacers let go of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Why on earth are we taking this at face value?
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer Barbrady
    Nothing to see here.
    ...especially if Vecsey is to be believed.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!