Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft Day 2005

Default Re: Draft Day 2005

Wherever he is, at least we know Gnome is not roaming alone.........

sweabs

Is anyone else ready to change this 24 hour clock besides me?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!! I'M IN FAVOUR!!!! (and the cap's indeed mean I'm SCREAMING, DAMMIT!!!)

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is anyone else ready to change this 24 hour clock besides me?

Not too many options now. I had today set aside for the draft. I'm gone most of tomorrow, all day Mon and Tues. and (I think) I'll be in Ohio next Friday through Sunday. I'll be able to check in the mornings and evenings except for next weekend. But once we get past about the 6th rd I won't have much of a contingency list because I'll have to start balancing my roster - don't want to get two F's when I need one F and one G.

I may figure out the advanced CL well enough to help with it. But setting a time limit of less than about 10-12 hours will not work for me. I'm sure there are others with similar issues.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

sweabs

That's what I was afraid of......

I still think we should have gone with the live draft and just had those who couldn't make it send a list or something.......

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    That's what I was afraid of......

I still think we should have gone with the live draft and just had those who couldn't make it send a list or something.......
    I was opposed to the 24-hour idea when I read about it just when I came back from vacation and stated it, but everything seemed in the bag already by then.

I rather lose one day, than a week where I have to constantly check if It's not my turn and if I'm not holding up the person after me.

Regards,

Mourning

Let me address a few points.

Hicks - The 24 draft clock does not mean you have a total of 24 hours to make all your picks. It means that the the person whos turn it is to select a player, has 24 hours to do so.

To everyone is general - I took great care to select a single date for this years draft. The 22nd was just about the only date available. Several members of the league were on vacations during the earlier weekends & if I recall there were going to be at least two away on the 29th.

Shortly after setting the date 4 people came forward saying they would not be available at all for that date. At least one other would be away for part of the day.

Getting 24 people to hang out at a PC for 7 straight hours at the exact same time is just not possible. I thought that the draft would be less hassle to everyones day to day life if we could spread it out. It certainly would let each owner be responsible for his own draft. I would rather do the draft in a single day, even if it takes 7 hours to do it, but when you consider all of our schedules you will realize is simply can not be done.

As far as the delays in the draft. I don't like them any better than anyone else & if you go back & read the many PM's, e-mails & posts I've written over the past month you will know that I have almost been an ass about being ready, & being on line to draft.

Once again, I will mention that if the draft is going slower than I think it should, like someone forgetting that today was the draft, I will do all I can to get them on line to make a selection.

Also, once again, as of this hour, we have 9 days before the season begins. I see absolutly no reason why we can't draft the final 10 rounds within that time frame. You might remember that I said we would shorten the draft clock by mid-week if we needed to. I'll send out an e-mail, as well as post something here, 24 hours in advance of the time change. We also could re-group next weekend to finish off any picks we need to.

I'm trying to make this as smooth a process as possible. Keeping in mind that people have important things to do each & everyday of the week, myself included.

As for the contengency list - I don't like them & use it as little as possible. When my turn is coming up I'll toss 2 or 3, maybe 4 names on it. Other than that I won't go near it, mainly for the same reasons stated above. If you are going to be gone for any length of time I would suggest just putting on a small list of players you might want or post something saying you will be away for a while & you'll get to your pick when you return.

ok, well if we can let's change it to 10 or 12 hours than, atleast that's a little better than what we have now.

Regards,

Mourning

I don't want you to think I'm complaining about the 24-hour thing. You try something, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. We have until a week from Tues. before we have to be done.

If it gets to a point where I can't be around for a while (tomorrow I SHOULD be able to check 1st thing in the AM, around Noon and I'll be available after 5-6 p.m. for the rest of the evening) and I'm no longer at the "best available player" point I'd probably PM a list to Jose (if that's OK) with some players and my strategery.

Unless I think I can manipulate the advanced CL well enough - haven't spent that much time on it but I'm going to start playing with it a little.

edit - Not sure there is a 10-12 hour option - I think it goes from 1 to 24.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    edit - Not sure there is a 10-12 hour option - I think it goes from 1 to 24.
    Ahh... ok, never mind then .

Regards,

Mourning

You never know if something is going to work until you try it.

It's probably too soon to say that the 24-hour option isn't working. I expected the draft to take well into the week. If everybody had today clear, then we could have done it the old way. But they didn't, so this is how it is.

I don't like using the list any more than the next guy, but at this point in the draft it's pretty good. Unless you've already got a single position center, the best player availible will work just fine. And if you already have a C, then the best G or F will work. Sure, if you have two picks pretty close together, you might want to worry a bit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "it is what it is". The person currently on the bubble will pick when they get a chance, and then we'll move on.

It's a mindset change, really, instead of waiting, waiting, waiting online for your turn, just check back in now and then. Set your list with a couple of players, or whatever number you are comfortable with, and go have a beer.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett