Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man requests longer prison sentence to match Bird's jersey number

Default Man requests longer prison sentence to match Bird's jersey number

Go ahead file this under I for Idiot

Man requests longer prison sentence to match Bird's jersey number

October 20, 2005
    OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A man got a prison term longer than prosecutors and defense attorneys had agreed to -- all because of Larry Bird.

The lawyers reached a plea agreement Tuesday for a 30-year term for a man accused of shooting with an intent to kill and robbery. But Eric James Torpy wanted his prison term to match Bird's jersey number 33.

``He said if he was going to go down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird's jersey,'' Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott said Wednesday. ``We accommodated his request and he was just as happy as he could be.

``I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Man requests longer prison sentence to match Bird's jersey number

Good thing the guy's not a Wayne Gretzky fan.....

That's both hilarious and pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good thing the guy's not a Wayne Gretzky fan.....
    If this guy had any brains he just would have said he was a fan of another short- lived Celtic Eric Montross .... and be done with it..

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    If this guy had any brains he just would have said he was a fan of another short- lived Celtic Eric Montross .... and be done with it..
    Robert Parrish is the guy to revere-- 00 hanging from the rafters, wearing the championship rings, and partaking of a little "medical marijuana" to soothe those aching knees.

Glad he wasnt TOO BIG of an Artest fan and went with 91 .... he'd be there for quite a while.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is kind of ridiculous... this guy is going to spend tax payers money for an extra 3 years... for Larry Bird's jersey number?

Having people in jail isn't free. I can't believe they agreed to this.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac's Technique
    This is kind of ridiculous... this guy is going to spend tax payers money for an extra 3 years... for Larry Bird's jersey number?

I'll gladly spend my tax money this way.

The DA probably wanted to put him away for more than 33. But his lawyer haggled them down. So basically he just countered some of the work his lawyer did.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    Glad he wasnt TOO BIG of an Artest fan and went with 91 .... he'd be there for quite a while.
    That's kind of what I was alluding to with my Wayne Gretzky post. The Great One wore number 99.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    "I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it.''
    Sorry for the dumb question, but how does this scenario benefit the DA exactly? More money?

He got closer to what he wanted.

Robert Parrish lives here in North carolina just a few minutes from me. I've seen him at the local Lowe's store a few times. He is one tall dude.

He has a very nice house up on the lake here too.

But Yes, if I was going for a prison sentence, I would request one to match his number instead of any others.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    That's kind of what I was alluding to with my Wayne Gretzky post. The Great One wore number 99.
    Gotcha! didnt know recall who Gretzky was so.....added Ron's # .

For your education, young lady , Wayne Gretzky is considered to be the greatest hockey player of all time. He in fact had a stint in Indianapolis for the then Racers (?) I believe. I personally am a Gordie Howe apologist, myself, only because his son works with me.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Not knowing who Wayne Gretzky is is almost as bad as not knowing who Michael Jordan is.

Jordan?? Who? Who???
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

oh yeah! he was on ESPN the other day! :doh:

Not knowing who Wayne Gretzky is is almost as bad as not knowing who Michael Jordan is.

Eh, considering she's a soph(?) in HS, in IN no less, she gets quite a bit of slack. I know jack about the sport, and just barely know about him. I know that he's the "Great One" but other than that .

I'm 4-5 yrs older, so it's not that hard to imagine kids in HS not knowing who he is, unless they like hockey.

sweabs

Oh my Lord...............

What is worse? This guy taking the extra 3 years of a sentence, or Pacers Girl not knowing the Great One?

As a Canadian, who lives 10 minutes outside of Wayne's hometown, and have met Wayne and his father - that is BAD!!! Shame, shame, shame!

dont like hockey much ... but I'm only a freshman...

he'll be out in 15 so it really doesen't matter a whole lot does it...

Shame on the young generation... no respect for the past legends of any codes....

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

I DO TOO! Just didnt recall who he was...

I'M SORRY!!!!!! I KNOW WHAT HE'S DONE..I JUS DIDNT RECALL AT THE TIME!!!! OKAY FINE SHAME ON ME!

They're just teasing. Indianapolis isn't really a good city to grow up in and learn the sport of hockey. Northern Indiana, that's a different thing, but Indianapolis is another story. And most people just have no interest in Indy. I know I don't. I only know what a hat trick is from all those years playing NHL hockey on Sega.