Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rant on forum netiquette and posting

Default Re: Rant on forum netiquette and posting

Yeah what's the logic behind removing the post counts. I now have no idea whether some of these guys are new posters or guys I never noticed before.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I can still see them!
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

SjA3837

I think it's a bit silly, I know i'm guilty of doing it... but sometimes you want to let the poster know you actually took time to read their post, and you agreed with it.

As I sit here in front of my computer looking at the screen, I am very, very, very, very glad that this message boards exists in reality of the world to provide us with very very very opportune opportunities to discuss, ie talk about, the Pacers, ie the Pacers, which is very very very good.

In short this is a really great thing altogether.....

Whew....now that I've exhausted my old high school tricks and established my "digest cred", I'd like to offer a modest suggestion.

On the snopes.com message board, they don't display your post count but assign you a funny title or saying based on how many times you've posted.

For instance, when you first register the area where a post count would typically be says something like "newbie". Once you get 25 posts it changes to "gusto boy" or something. You get a new one at 50 and 100 and on and on....

Its kind of cool b/c the folks who've been around a while pick up on what those things mean, but they don't have the same status thing a post count does, b/c lots of people don't have any idea what title is associated with how many posts.

Just a thought....
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah what's the logic behind removing the post counts. I now have no idea whether some of these guys are new posters or guys I never noticed before.
    If you go back in the thread you can see the logic behind removing post counts. There is a valid argument - although they aren't completely removed which may defeat the entire purpose anyway.

And I'm pretty sure you know who the new posters are, and who the new ones are by now. You've been here just as long as me. If you are having that much trouble, look at the "Joined" date under their avatar. But by now, I think you have an understanding of who is who. Even so, why does it matter if you can't tell if someone is new? Does it change your opinion on the person, or do you read their posts differently?

Okay, I've given myself time to calm down. As I've proven before, I'm practically allergic to Able's writing. I think he could probably write up an essay about the discover of a new species of bannana and it'd somehow upset me.

Okay, honestly, I've got to say this is pretty stupid. First off, I think this should have been dealt with via PM (Btown had the right idea) instead of creating a four page thread dedicated to b!tching about maybe three people. I'm actually pretty disappointed here, usually things are handled a bit classier than this around here.

Second, all of this, IMO, is a bit misguided. I'll never be sure if everyone had me in mind when the mention this off-topic "idiocy," since we somehow manged to mention no names throughout this monster of a thread. () I don't think I use a lot of smilies, but I guess others would disagree. However, until someone else decides to actually lay out some names, I'm going to assume that I've been lumped into this group of young people that all of you so throughly complained about.

All right, now that you understand that assumption, I'm going to explain both why my posts have veered toward "idiocy" lately, and expound on the second point above, in which I feel these crackdown efforts are a bit misguided. Bear with me here, I've got a feeling the rest of the post may be a little spastic in logical flow and structutre as I try to explain myself.

But before I begin to mention what annoys me, I'm going to start with what doesn't - the smilies. Personally, I don't see why they are such a bother. It takes me less than a second to process a quick , I'm not sure how something that takes so little time and effort for me to either pay attention to, or glance over, as this could annoy me as greatly as it seems to annoy some of you. Besides, they're all pretty cheerful and harmless in nature...

All right, now for the outrageous stupidity and idiocy (yes!) that is my off topic posting. I'm sure some of you have noticed that I haven't been posting about strictly basketball so much anymore. Maybe you thought that was a good thing (), maybe you thought it was a bad thing, maybe you just didn't care, or maybe you thought I was just immature and incapable of staying on topic. Well, what I'm about to say probably won't change any of that, but damnit, I've already wasted a good five paragraphs on this post; I'm going to say it anyway -

Pacers Digest has been real *****ty lately.

You all had your fun for a good three pages, now it's my turn, my chance to rant about what annoys me. PD was always about great Pacer discussion - heated, yet intelligent and civil debates, questions that probed the mind and invoked some heavy-level thinking (for sports anyway), and of course general discussion of Pacer news. But somewhere along the line, I'd guess somewhere right before preseason, everyone got loony. Re-treads of FAMOUSLY ANCIENT and over-done topics, line

by line
    by line

by line
    by line ([sarcastic remark]! I win! )

by line (Darko sucks! Hahaaaaaa!)
    arguments that test the boundaries of both logic and sanity, sudden overflows of cynicism, Hater! vs. Realist! clashes (and booooooy are THOSE interesting), and, as Grace said a while ago, a lot of PMS-like behavior are just some of the things that just really irk me! Oh, and all the Bender jokes...... just kidding.

So, why do I post off topic? Because it's a hell of a lot better than any of that crap!

I see this thread crack down on harmless things like abundant smilies and friendly off topic conversation, while no attention is paid to what I consider to be the real insanity, and......

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    If you go back in the thread you can see the logic behind removing post counts. There is a valid argument - although they aren't completely removed which may defeat the entire purpose anyway.

And I'm pretty sure you know who the new posters are, and who the new ones are by now. You've been here just as long as me. If you are having that much trouble, look at the "Joined" date under their avatar. But by now, I think you have an understanding of who is who. Even so, why does it matter if you can't tell if someone is new? Does it change your opinion on the person, or do you read their posts differently?
    I just like to welcome someone to the board if I see that they made their first or second post, is that so bad? I really think it makes a difference, if they feel more welcome - and we all want more Pacer fans to forum with right?

Who are the young people being targetted with the removal the post count anyway? I don't really care about it, and while PG likes to congratulate people on hitting different milestones, she doesn't post only to hit them. So who is it? Who's abusing the count, who has become so caught up in it? No one I know, and in fact I'd bet if these people were ASKED about it, instead of simply judged, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who did, in the manner that you guys think....

SOUP? Did you suffer a brain aneurysm?
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    SOUP? Did you suffer a brain anyeursm?
    No, but I hope to soon!

BTW - you misspelled.

My young friend, I don't think anyone is picking on you. And so what if they are. Be a man, suck it up and go on. I know a lot has been made of the input from some of the younger crowd, but you know something, exposure to yall is what brings me to this board. And I think everyone, or at least most, enjoy the diversity. Some might write stuff that is upsetting, but ignore man, ignore. You don't have to read it. People are ignorant, they might not see things the way others perceive them. I got your back, man. Continue to post the way you've always posted but just be a little aware that some of the powers that be get irked by some things. And if it gets out of hand, I've got plenty money to blow and we'll start are own pacersdigest two.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I know you had to spell check that bc I see aneurysm on a bi-monthly basis and not even I know how to correctly spell it. So therefore, you can't know how to spell that just off your fingertips.

Harmonica

I don't see what all the hub-bub's about. Can't say there's really anything that annoys me about this board (except the absolute lack of taste most posters here have in movies), but I trust if anything were to get out-of-hand, Hicks (or whomever) will step in and remedy the problem. I've found that a good 6-8 month banning often does the trick, but I'm sure most problems can be taken care of privately first.

sweabs

And if it gets out of hand, I've got plenty money to blow and we'll start are own pacersdigest two.
    HERESY!!!

And Soup, from what you've written, I think you just need to relax. Regular season is starting up soon...take a deep breath.

My young friend, I don't think anyone is picking on you. And so what if they are. Be a man, suck it up and go on. I know a lot has been made of the input from some of the younger crowd, but you know something, exposure to yall is what brings me to this board. And I think everyone, or at least most, enjoy the diversity. Some might write stuff that is upsetting, but ignore man, ignore. You don't have to read it. People are ignorant, they might not see things the way others perceive them. I got your back, man. Continue to post the way you've always posted but just be a little aware that some of the powers that be get irked by some things. And if it gets out of hand, I've got plenty money to blow and we'll start are own pacersdigest two.
    Heheh - don't worry man. I know my rants edge on manic desperation, but that's mainly because I don't rant often. It's the only way know how really. I'm quite fine though, you don't gotta worry about my feelings , I'm just venting.

But Harmonica, that's the thing. 4 pages of antagonism for what? What the hell could be so bad that THIS?? THIS!!! Come on man. Its making people who are great contributors feel bad and feel like they have targets on their backs. They don't deserve it.

I know you had to spell check that bc I see aneurysm on a bi-monthly basis and not even I know how to correctly spell it. So therefore, you can't know how to spell that just off your fingertips.

NEVER doubt my spelling skills! I don't always know how to produce a correctly spelled word, but I'm excellent at spotting a misspelled one. =/

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Life is not fair.

Uh, okay. This isn't exactly ground breaking news man.

But who the heck really cares if things get off freaking target. Its not like we're in a session of congress (or across the pond they might call it a session of the house of lords), it's sports. Sports. People are dying. Babies are being born. People are getting flooded out of their homes. Hurricanes come and go and come and go and come and go. We're talkin about sports here. GDi who the hell cares if things get off target. Its a past time. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    That was deep. Thank you.......
    And the old cliche "life is not fair" was?! It wasn't even relevant!

btw, can someone tell me how to post a picture i found on the internet in my "signature" section please?

But who the heck really cares if things get off freaking target. Its not like we're in a session of congress (or across the pond they might call it a session of the house of lords), it's sports. Sports. People are dying. Babies are being born. People are getting flooded out of their homes. Hurricanes come and go and come and go and come and go. We're talkin about sports here. GDi who the hell cares if things get off target. Its a past time. Get over it.

Thank you

Whoa. Did anyone else just notice the new EDIT and QUOTE buttons in the bottom right of the posts?

Or nevermind.

But who the heck really cares if things get off freaking target.
    I do. Nothing steams me more than people not posting about basketball on a basketball board............................

I'm not a frequent poster, but am a frequent reader. I love reading other fans opinions about the Pacers, getting Pacer info that Pacers.com and ESPN.com fail to offer, and other things that only local Pacer addicts would know about. Not many NBA fans reside here in the heart of Carolina, surrounded by UNC, Duke, Wake Forrest, and other elite college teams, so it's good to hear from some NBA fans once in a while.

I have noticed (even in the short 6 months that I've been here) that too often: 1. Threads are started in the General Discussion forum that have NOTHING to do with the Pacers; or 2. Topics are bumped by posts that:

1) Are irrelevent to the topic, or even other posts in the thread
    2) Contain absolutly no evidence of added information, or opinion
    3) Include nothing more than this mellow green pea just to raise their post-count

These problems do hinder the ease of reading relevent information, which up until now has been outstanding.

I noticed the post count was gone earlier today, and I have to say I like it. Although I understand that some people view posters with a high post count as "board veterans" and those with low post counts "newbies," this is simply not always the case. Take me for example.

I visit the PD board more than once a day since I discovered the site through the IndyStar message boards about 6 months ago. Not until about three months ago did I become a member, simply because you can't post without becoming a member, and once in a while I actually do have an opinion.

However, I have been 'welcomed' as a new member almost every time I have posted. Although I do understand that three months does not compare to some that have been members since the site got started, and not that I don't appreciate the kindness, the fact remains that I have regular visitor to this board every day for half a year, and I have been an avid Pacers fan since the age of 12 (seven years ago).

Although I (as well as others I am sure) seldom put in my two cents on each and every thread, it does not take away from the fact that we are Pacers fans. I like the deletion of the post-count, as it does not always attribute to the knowlege a person has about the Pacers, or the length of time the member has been a fan of the Pacers. For all we know, Reggie Miller could join this board as reg31mil, and be treated with the general assumption that he was a new Pacers fan.