Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rant on forum netiquette and posting

Default Re: Rant on forum netiquette and posting

Ok... I think threads degenerate when all the points have been made (or close to it)... which brings us to another point that was raised in this thread:
    #1 Shout box
    #2 Thread splitting in general

Perhaps thread moving and especially splitting haven't been as thorough as needed to cut down on the OT replies and off shoots.

Some things might need sent to the Shout box (or other sub forum)... Others might be a legitimate off shoot of the original thread and simply need their own thread in the main forum.

And speaking of proper forums... Shouldn't this thread be in the Feedback forum?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think getting rid of post counts is a good idea, but getting rid of smileys really wouldn't do anything. Smileys can be abused by being the only thing in a response, but personally, I'd rather see a post with just a smiley in it then a post that simply reads "lol".

Hello all,

You know I appreciate some of the changes that have gone on. Its a little different but thats fine. I want to reiterate though, please don't make it so uncomfortable for people to post here. While I do think my posts are all in all pretty substantive and mature, I think this site serves a purpose of being a general meeting place for people with a similar interest, the Pacers. It allows for people to come on and interact in the evenings, or daytime as it might be, and I personally have no problem with people who have short messages or want to try to say something witty. That's my two cents. And as far as something someone mentioned regarding being "adults", well the thing is, we do have some teens and they are very good contributors, in my opine. There is, therefore, going to be some difference in the maturity level of various posters, and I think that's ok. Its what makes the diversity of this board so awesome. Lets not lose sight of that.

KRJ
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

So if someone asks a question, the person answering can't just say "yep" or "no"? If someone asks what number Ronnie is wearing this year, the reply must spell out T-H-I-R-T-E-E-N (or whatever number he is actually wearing this year as I believe 13 is wrong)?

This place is like the opposite of a college comp class. Instead of demanding that you be more concise, you're demanding we blather on. I guess I need to start dredging up my old highschool tricks for getting my papers to appear to be longer then they actually are. Which font is the biggest again? (Count this whole paragraph as blather practice.)

Btown, you always come through.

I didn't mean my "you always come through" comment as a negative. I understood what you were doing. Your post even brought a smile to my face, which is now lost (unfortunately).

Guys, I'm having a little trouble getting here nowadays. http://www.anal-retentivedigest.com isn't working for me anymore....
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Didn't you here? The Pacers are using a freer offense this year. As a result http://www.anal-retentivedigest.com can no longer be accessed through Carlisle's pants. Get yourself and alternate service provider and you should be fine.

I'm not kidding anymore. Stop hijacking every thread with this. Please.

I know its hard to believe, but its true. A freer offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know its hard to believe, but its true. A freer offense.
    A what ? Come again please...

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I am asking a serious question here. What do you mean the real fun discussions and mesage boards. What do you want more of

It's hard to describe, I can't really say. The way the discussions were before were a lot more...I don't know. Different. Maybe a bit more thought-provoking? I'm not sure. I find myself not wanting to respond as much because the topics just aren't interesting. I suppose that comes with the times, and things change every season.

I think I just haven't been to a forum party in so long the energy is just being drained out

Who knows, maybe I'm just being stupid. But there just is a different feel to it now. I dunno.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

bleh....

I don't like the idea of making a minimum post size... I don't think many people spam the message boards with single word answers (well.. a few exceptions... you know who you are... I know I am guility of it sometimes)...

This willl just encourage the use of more smilies or more ...s I think.

Hey all,
    I think it's time to settle down and just check out whatever changes have been made, maybe then reconvene after a few weeks and discuss. But overall, it seems people are getting testy and I think we need to focus our energies back on the Pacers. I'm off for two weeks and trying to find some good discussions on the board but everyone is on this post. I think basically all the points have been spelled out. Hicks and the Btown and the other admins are doing a great job and trying their best to patrol the board, and Able's comments are noted and well received. I hope we can get back to the business of basketball soon and stop picking on people or ideas.

"Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Don't like the idea of minimum post sizes either. I think we (admins) should just try be a bit more proactive in keeping threads on topic/splitting threads.

I don't think it's a big deal, we've actually gone through this before. The thread hijacking behavior seems to go waaaaay down when it always gets split off to the ShoutBox.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I'm not kidding anymore. Stop hijacking every thread with this. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt

I think simply PMing the couple offenders would have been a more equitable solution than all of this, but ah well.
    Quoted for truth...... or maybe quoted because I agree with it Oh hell, quoted because I want to improve my post #.......

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I liked my post count. It made me feel special (ed).

RIP

You can still see it in the profile thing.

Tim

For what its worth, we just need the season to start.
    November will clear up a lot of this.

This thread pointed out something, a lot of our members were bothered by the situation but didn't feel comfortable pointing it out for some reason.

Maybe just me but I thought we were to a point that we could talk openly about something like this and not wait for Able or Hicks or someone else with perceived rank to say something.

I hope people will speak up and not remain silent until you want to leave. That is PD got started in the first place, RATS got out of hand and we left.

I liked seeing the post counts, because mine was kickass (which meant nothing, but was cool anyway) and it let me know who the newbies were without remembering the names of who joined and when...

No biggie as far as I'm concerned about any changes made, it's not my board. I hadn't noticed the problems being described, but I don't notice a whole lot anyway....

I'll try to remember to not post one liners or do anything else annoying to anyone, but I AM kind of annoying, so I guess people will have to live with it...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I say we get a team together, something that can get at the very core of an issue.

That team than could run roughshod over everyone & everything, then once that team had driven out the bottom dwellers then they can return home as the conqouring hero's that they are.

No, in all seriousness I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that this was an extremley dull off-season once both Saras came on board & Dale left. There just wasn't much to say so a lot of people who are the blowhards (myself in particular) went to the sanctuary of the Political board where there is never a disagreement & we all share the same views. Now that the season has kind of gotten underway it will get better.

Again though, I thank Hicks, Able & the rest of the PD staff for giving us this place to express ourselves.

The newer guys & gals will find thier groove & it's up to us to help them along the way. For that matter they can help us as well.

So, let's give the post counts thing a try & we'll see if we can't bring this up to mid season form by the time the season starts.

Oh yea & one more thing, Artest sucks. There that should send us off into the right direction.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    I liked seeing the post counts, because mine was kickass (which meant nothing, but was cool anyway) and it let me know who the newbies were without remembering the names of who joined and when...

No biggie as far as I'm concerned about any changes made, it's not my board. I hadn't noticed the problems being described, but I don't notice a whole lot anyway....

I'll try to remember to not post one liners or do anything else annoying to anyone, but I AM kind of annoying, so I guess people will have to live with it...
    If you click on a person's name, you will go to their user profile. The post counts are still listed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    I say we get a team together, something that can get at the very core of an issue.

That team than could run roughshod over everyone & everything, then once that team had driven out the bottom dwellers then they can return home as the conqouring hero's that they are.

No, in all seriousness I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that this was an extremley dull off-season once both Saras came on board & Dale left. There just wasn't much to say so a lot of people who are the blowhards (myself in particular) went to the sanctuary of the Political board where there is never a disagreement & we all share the same views. Now that the season has kind of gotten underway it will get better.

Again though, I thank Hicks, Able & the rest of the PD staff for giving us this place to express ourselves.

The newer guys & gals will find thier groove & it's up to us to help them along the way. For that matter they can help us as well.

So, let's give the post counts thing a try & we'll see if we can't bring this up to mid season form by the time the season starts.

Oh yea & one more thing, Artest sucks. There that should send us off into the right direction.

**** you.

And I can still see the post counts....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ArTeSt RuLeZ...