Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd thoughts so far in the pre-season....

Default Odd thoughts so far in the pre-season....

Ok, your all gonna laugh at me because for whatever reason I just don't see the Pippen comparison to Granger. To me thier games are totally differant.

I see Granger as far more of a power player than I do as a swift Gazelle like I did Pippen.

No, if I were to compare him to anybody from back in the golden days it would be (prepare to laugh) Karl Malone.

Now not the old Karl Malone that relied on strength but the very young Karl Malone who was strong but still had speed. Danny just seems to me to be a guy who is going to be more apt about being around the post area than a guy chasing perimater player around. I don't find that a bad thing at all.

In fact, I like it. He's 6'8" tall & has very long arms so he plays taller than he is. Elton Brand is only 6'8" & he plays in the post so I don't see why on defense this is a bad thing. Actually early in the season with everybody injured in the big man area I think it will be quite beneficial to us.

Speaking of big men being injured.

Am I the only one who is concerned that the lack of people on the floor right now might hurt us at the beginning of the season even if everybody is back?

Granger & Saraurnos should be getting used to playing with O'Neal & Harrison not Brown & Walker. I understand that Harrison is injured so he can't play, but right now I think it's time to get J.O. back into the system.

Pre-season isn't just about working on your own skills, it's about the team getting used to each other & learning how to play together & right now it's not happening. Brichard made a great point in his thread about how the offense has no flow to it. Well, I think some of that is from the fact that we don't have the team that will be out there together on the floor working as a unit. I may be over thinking this one, but it just seems to me that if you can play you should play right now so the team can start to flow. But I do understand that if there is injury then you certainly don't want to aggrivate it.

Has anybody gotten any real sense of how the offense will role this year? I certainly have not been able to, but then again with the hodge podge of players out there I'm not sure Rick has been able to get any kind of sets put in at all.

BTW, if anybody saw the real training camp on NBA tv you had to be impressed with O'Neal's tutoring of David Harrison. He was showing him quick post spin moves & it looked like the Hulk was absorbing. It could have been staged for the camera but it didn't look like it. Man I can't wait to see what the Hulk has for us this year.

Has Jackson looked more unsteady on the floor this year than last to anybody else? It's not that he has been playing bad, but other than the first game I think he's been really up & down on the floor. I guess maybe he's adjusting to going back to the shooting guard spot.

Jamaal really concerns me. He got into the lane & was able to score last night but I think I saw way to much of Mel Mel the abuser for my taste. I don't want a Stephon Marburry at the point. I would much rather see him go with 2 points & 12 assist as opposed to 14 points & 1 assist. I think this may have a lot to do with the flow of the offense, because I don't think he has done anything in the way of leading the team on the floor.

Before we even entered the pre-season I had the Center spot listed as our problem. Now it's even bigger IMO.

I wouldn't mind trading some of our depth on the wings to get back just a solid center to help fill the void.

BTW, how bad was Walker injured last night?

Short list for today.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

sweabs

Default Re: Odd thoughts so far in the pre-season....

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't mind trading some of our depth on the wings to get back just a solid center to help fill the void.
    I thought this was going to happen a while ago, and yet I'm still waiting. I think along the same lines as you; it's crucial we get another big man. This is our weakest area on the roster, and it's quite weak.

How do we expect to deal with the flurry of big men Detroit can throw at us (Ben, Rasheed, McDyess, Darko, Dale, etc.), or even Miami (Shaq, Alonzo, Haslem). I'm sorry, but an oft-injured centre in Pollard, with the ever-more concerning Foster, and a guy in his second year who only played 1/2 of his rookie year is not going to cut it.

Pollard is unreliable at this point; he could break down at any point. Foster's injury seems to be quite serious, so how long will he be out? Not to mention, he's still not that physical force/banger down low that we really need. And as for Harrison, who is to say he can first of all play crucial minutes without getting tired, and secondly, play crucial minutes without getting into foul trouble? Add to the fact that he still needs to rebound more efficiently...

I'll continue to wait for the trade. Donnie and Larry can't be this blind to see the one glaring hole in our roster. They need to make something happen - there are teams out there looking for PG's.

Ok, your all gonna laugh at me because for whatever reason I just don't see the Pippen comparison to Granger. To me thier games are totally differant.

I see Granger as far more of a power player than I do as a swift Gazelle like I did Pippen.
    Agreed. Although I'm not sure I like the Malone comparison either. I'm still working on a good comparison.

Also agreed on the JO-Hulk stuff, although I would have preferred that Traitorface had been able to get in on the mentoring also. Oh well.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Agreed. Although I'm not sure I like the Malone comparison either. I'm still working on a good comparison.

Also agreed on the JO-Hulk stuff, although I would have preferred that Traitorface had been able to get in on the mentoring also. Oh well.

Not nearly as much as I would have preffered it.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Chest Rockwell

Oh, Dale Davis, why didst thou forsake us?

Quote Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell

I can think of about 7 million reasons why. Not that it makes it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell
    :ifyacantbeatemjoinem:
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

If Jeff, David and scot are healthy, I feel good about the center spot. All we need is a role playing center and I think each of those three guys provide something different, so the coaching staff can play whoever is needed on a certain night

I'm not a fan of playing players in the preseason who won't be on the team.

We all have to keep in mind that this is preseason and the intensity is a lot lower than what a regular season even a November regular season game is. So before we are too critical of jax or Tinsley we should wait until November.

Peck, I agree with you about Granger he is not like Pippen at all. and I think Brand is a decent comparison. Granger can look overmatched at times underneath the basket, and yet as Quinn said last night DG has a nose for the ball.

As far as trading some of the excess for a role playing center, I mentioned that last week.

Anyone else just wish the Pacers would give the ball to Saras and turn him lose a little. I don't know if he is capable of being a starting point guard in the NBA for a 50 plus win team, but I do know he is going to struggle being a backup. For him to be most successful he needs to be given a team to run, those are his strengths, that is what he is good at. I'm convinced of it.

UB said..."Anyone else just wish the Pacers would give the ball to Saras and turn him lose a little. I don't know if he is capable of being a starting point guard in the NBA for a 50 plus win team, but I do know he is going to struggle being a backup. For him to be most successful he needs to be given a team to run, those are his strengths, that is what he is good at. I'm convinced of it."

Ditto on that thought. The question is will the team ever figure that out.
    On any given rebound the ball should immediately be in his hands and the rest of the players run the lanes and keep your eyes open. Saras has
    that talent that cannot be taught. He is better at it than Tinsley.
    Watch Jersey and how they get the ball to Kidd and start running.
    That is a coaching issue, I hope the Pacers figure out what they have
    in Saras, otherwise he will be wasted. I believe the rebounding will be
    better this year with an even stronger Artest and Granger added in.
    Thus oppurtunities to run will be there.

owl

Ok, your all gonna laugh at me because for whatever reason I just don't see the Pippen comparison to Granger. To me thier games are totally differant. I see Granger as far more of a power player than I do as a swift Gazelle like I did Pippen.
    I like the Elton Brand comparison more than Pippen as well....but I actually think he is a mix of the two. He is more comfortable around the bucket at this time, but with more experience I see his outside game being strong as well.
    The Pacers do need to do something to shore up the C position. Otherwise, we will not be playing next June. I am just not sure who to trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Anyone else just wish the Pacers would give the ball to Saras and turn him lose a little. I don't know if he is capable of being a starting point guard in the NBA for a 50 plus win team, but I do know he is going to struggle being a backup. For him to be most successful he needs to be given a team to run, those are his strengths, that is what he is good at. I'm convinced of it.

So, maybe we should start Austin over JO then too. He's a much better starter than backup.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

So, maybe we should start Austin over JO then too. He's a much better starter than backup.

No, no, no. I must not have explained this very well. I think the job of a starting point guard and a backup point guard is very, very different. And it has very, very little to do with one of them being a better player., (I agree, almost every player plays better as a starter) A starting point guard is a leader, someone who can run a ballclub. You might believe Saras is no better than a high school player, but you must admit he has leadership skills and he can run a ballclub, maybe only a high school ball club, but he can run a team. And if he is never given the chance to do so he'll never be very sucessful.

Tinsley and Saras are both starting point guards. Tinsley might be 100X better, but that does not mean that Saras doesn't have starting point guard skills

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by UB
    If Jeff, David and scot are healthy, I feel good about the center spot. All we need is a role playing center and I think each of those three guys provide something different, so the coaching staff can play whoever is needed on a certain night
    All we have is role playing centers, but they are seemingly never healthy. And certainly not all at once.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

No, no, no. I must not have explained this very well. I think the job of a starting point guard and a backup point guard is very, very different. And it has very, very little to do with one of them being a better player., (I agree, almost every player plays better as a starter) A starting point guard is a leader, someone who can run a ballclub. You might believe Saras is no better than a high school player, but you must admit he has leadership skills and he can run a ballclub, maybe only a high school ball club, but he can run a team. And if he is never given the chance to do so he'll never be very sucessful.

Tinsley and Saras are both starting point guards. Tinsley might be 100X better, but that does not mean that Saras doesn't have starting point guard skills
    I get what you're saying. I just think you're opening up the door for apologists to say "he'd play well if only they'd start him." I think that's absolute bull ****. There's few things I hate more than hearing someone would do so much better if only they were given more responsibility.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I get what you're saying. I just think you're opening up the door for apologists to say "he'd play well if only they'd start him." I think that's absolute bull ****. There's few things I hate more than hearing someone would do so much better if only they were given more responsibility.
    ...But sometimes it is true...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was trying to think of a player like Granger and one that kind of pops into my mind is Bernard King. Another never did anything spectacular, but had great post moves, but could shoot from the outside, and both were good but not great athletes.

The one thing King did have however was the quickest jump shot for a big player I've ever seen.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Every once in a while the college draft seems to produce an impact player that no one was expecting to be one. For instant Lebron James was expected to make an impact, plus we heard a lot about Carmelo Anthony. However, how many expected Dwyane Wade to be the impact player he turned out to be?

What's this got to do with anything? Just that I've watched other teams get lucky with players and wanted it to happen to the Pacers. With Granger it seems to have happened. Maybe he won't make a major impact like Wade did, but he's satisfied my desire for the Pacers to get lucky in the draft for once.

Scottie, the Mailman, Bernard King? One thing is for sure, Granger is getting mentioned in the same breath as some exalted company.

David Harrison played very well in the summer league. He's been working hard and looks very good. RIght now he suffered a very temporarily restraining muscle tear in his stomach. I've done that and it does hurt like hell. There is NO reason to think he won't be 100% in a couple of weeks. It's not like he's nursing a damaged knee for god's sake!
    Jeff Foster had his damaged hip repaired and was to all reports moving and running very well AFTER that. In the process of getting back into shape he overrworked a bit and strained something ELSE. There is NO reason to think that he won't be 100% once that heals. It's apparently NOT the hip any longer and everyone should be cheering that fact!
    I saw it said several places that Pollard was looking and moving better than at any point since he came to Indiana. Given that he'll be our THIRD string center, I'd say the position is very ably manned and I look forward to strong performances by all 3 guys.
    Relax a little. Preseason doesn't mean *****...........

PS - It may VERY well end up that our end of the game lineup has Jermaine/Artest/Bender OR Granger ANYWAY!!!!!!!

Sorry guys but until Saras makes a major turn around on his defensive skills I'd rather have AJ. Rule number one of keeping yourself between your man and the basket is not happening with #3. If the coaching staff comes up with a plan to CYA the liabilities then ok, but my goodness he looks that bad to my eyes.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    Sorry guys but until Saras makes a major turn around on his defensive skills I'd rather have AJ. Rule number one of keeping yourself between your man and the basket is not happening with #3. If the coaching staff comes up with a plan to CYA the liabilities then ok, but my goodness he looks that bad to my eyes.
    I don't think Saras' defense is any worse than Tinsley's was during his first two season (until Carlisle was hired)

I ahven't seen Saras play yet, but I am pretty sure that to beat out Tins he needs at least a full year of maturing in the NBA and that is if he ever learns to be as good a defender as Tins now is.

If Tins stays healthy and proves to all those that think opposite that he was just visited by idiotic bad luck then he is easily a top 5 PG, something I am sure Saras will not be this year.

On top of that it is my opinion that if our second PG can run a team, we are all the better off, it is not like Tins never came of the bench and ran the team, he did and he did so well that he became the starting PG again, so it can be done, in that sense it might be a blessing they both have that ability.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Every once in a while the college draft seems to produce an impact player that no one was expecting to be one. For instant Lebron James was expected to make an impact, plus we heard a lot about Carmelo Anthony. However, how many expected Dwyane Wade to be the impact player he turned out to be?

What's this got to do with anything? Just that I've watched other teams get lucky with players and wanted it to happen to the Pacers. With Granger it seems to have happened. Maybe he won't make a major impact like Wade did, but he's satisfied my desire for the Pacers to get lucky in the draft for once.

Scottie, the Mailman, Bernard King? One thing is for sure, Granger is getting mentioned in the same breath as some exalted company.
    Good point, Will. I always think the same thing when I go over our draft choices. It feels REAL good to have lightening finally strike here.
    Now that's not to dimiss the skills of Baby Al, Harrison and James Jones, three picks I was hyped about, but I think we all see something special in Granger.

Just as an FYI to everyone, here's lsiting of our draft history. I started with the drafting of Hernb Willams, ostensibly the start of the first meaningful NBA Pacers era.

1. Herb Williams, Ohio State (14)
    2. Ray Blume, Oregon State (36)
    2. Al Leslie, Bucknell (Pa.) (37)
    3. Purvis Miller, Southern California (60)
    4. Rolando Frazer, Briar Cliff (Iowa) (83)
    5. George Peterson, Jersey City St. (106)
    6. Bob Fronk, Washington (129)
    7. Larry McKinney, Boise State (152)
    8. Len Hatzenbeller, Drexel (Pa.) (174)
    9. Scott Whitley, William & Mary (195)
    10. Rodney Benson, Wright State (215)

1. Clark Kellogg, Ohio State (8)
    2. Guy Morgan, Wake Forest (40)
    2. Jose Slaughter, Portland (43)
    3. No pick
    4. Jeff Jones, Virginia (77)
    5. Rich DiBenedetto, Wisc.-Eau Claire (100)
    6. Jeffrey Clark, St. Josephís Pa. (123)
    7. Brad Leaf, Evansville (146)
    8. Donald Reese, Bradley (169)
    9. Mike Scearce, Purdue (192)
    10. Craig Summers, Wisconsin-Stout (213)

1. Steve Stipanovich, Missouri (2)
    1. Mitchell Wiggins, Florida St. (23)
    2. Leroy Combs, Oklahoma State (26)
    2. Jim Thomas, Indiana (40)
    3. Greg Jones, West Virginia (49)
    4. Terry Fair, Georgia (72)
    5. Roger Stieg, Mississippi (95)
    6. Cliff Pruitt, Alabama-Birmingham (118)
    7. Tony Brown, Indiana (141)
    8. Ray McCallum, Ball State (164)
    9. Lynn Mitchem, Butler (186)
    10. Mark Smed, Augustana (SD) (207)

1. Vern Fleming, Georgia (18)
    2. Devin Durrant, Brigham Young (25)
    2. Stuart Gray, UCLA (29)
    3. No pick
    4. Ralph Jackson, UCLA (71)
    5. Gene Smith, Georgetown (94)
    6. Clyde Vaughan, Pittsburgh (117)
    7. Kenton Edelin, Virginia (140)
    8. Tom Heitz, Kentucky (163)
    9. Brian Martin, Kansas (185)
    10. Gary Carver, Western Kentucky (207)

1. Wayman Tisdale, Oklahoma (2)
    2. William Martin, Georgetown (26)
    2. Dwayne McClain, Villanova (27)
    3. Kenny Patterson, DePaul (48)
    4. Vince Hamilton, Clemson (72)
    5. Kelvin Johnson, Richmond (94)
    5. Ivan Daniels, Illinois-Chicago (111)
    6. Stu Primus, Boston College (118)
    7. Jeff Acres, Oral Roberts (140)

1. Chuck Person, Auburn (4)
    2. Greg Dreiling, Kansas (26)
    3. No pick
    4. Derrick Taylor, LSU (72)
    5. Richard Rellford, Michigan (95)
    6. Jeff Hall, Louisville (118)
    7. Steve Woodside, Oregon State (141)

1. Reggie Miller, UCLA (11)
    2. Brian Rowsom, N.C.-Wilmington (34)
    3. Sean Couch, Columbia (60)
    4. No pick
    5. Mike Milling, N.C.-Charlotte (103)
    6. Gary Graham, Nevada-Las Vegas (126)
    7. Montel Hatcher, UCLA (149)

1. Rik Smits, Marist (2)
    2. No pick
    3. Herbert Crook, Louisville (61)
    3. Michael Anderson, Drexel (73)

1. George McCloud, Florida State (7)
    2. No pick

1. No pick
    2. Antonio Davis, Texas-El Paso (45)
    2. Ken Williams, Elizabeth City St. (46)

1. Dale Davis, Clemson (13)
    2. Sean Green, Iona (41)

1. Malik Sealy, St. Johnís (14)
    2. No pick

1. Scott Haskin, Oregon State (14)
    2. Thomas Hill, Duke (39)
    2. Spencer Dunkley, Delaware (51)

1. Eric Piatkowski, Nebraska (15)
    2. William Njoku, St. Maryís (41)
    2. Damon Bailey, Indiana (44)

1. Travis Best, Georgia Tech (23)
    2. Fred Hoiberg, Iowa State (52)

1. Erick Dampier, Mississippi State (10)
    2. Mark Pope, Kentucky (52)

1. Austin Croshere, Providence (12)
    2. No pick

1. Al Harrington, St. Patrickís H.S. (25)
    2. No pick

1. Vonteego Cummings, Pittsburgh (26)

1. Primoz Brezec, Olympia Ljubljana (27)
    (Slovenia)
    2. Jaquay Walls, Colorado (56)

1. No pick
    2. Jamison Brewer, Auburn (41)

1. Fred Jones, Oregon (14)
    2. No pick

1. No pick
    2. James Jones, Miami (FL) (49)

1. David Harrison, Colorado (29)
    2. Rashad Wright, Georgia (59)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I think Granger is his own person. It's hard to compare someone to another player in history, because each person has their own game, personality, and nuances. Granger plays like Granger, and I can't say I don't like it. He's kind of like an everyman type person, with the ability to score, defend, block, steal, or whatever. I enjoy that about his game. He can fit his abilities to what the game dictates. Granted, I haven't seen him play. But from descriptions of what I hear, plus the radio, I can tell this man has a real sense of how to play the game.

Now if he'd just rub off on Bender a bit....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax
    I was trying to think of a player like Granger and one that kind of pops into my mind is Bernard King. Another never did anything spectacular, but had great post moves, but could shoot from the outside, and both were good but not great athletes.

The one thing King did have however was the quickest jump shot for a big player I've ever seen.
    As a dedicated Knick fan at childhood - there never was, and will never be like Bernard King! The man basically had one move - the turnaround jumper from the baseline - but it was unstoppable to the point of back-to-back 50 point games in '84, and making the all-stars. However, he never was a good outside shooter, and definitely not a big-man.

I would hope Granger is more versatile than Bernard King.

Comparisons for Granger seems like a nice game. I saw James Worthy, Scottie Pippen, Karl Malone, Elton Brand, and now Bernard King...

How about letting him be Danny Granger?

I agree, but I'm prejudious (did I spell that right?)...

I think he's exactly the guy to run a 50+ win team. Tinsley is great at pennetrating, beating his man off the dribble, and running a show. But he is just slightly better than about 20 players who have the same qualities. Saras, on the other hand, brings whole new aspects to the game with his passing, court vision, leadership, shooting, and if you haven't noticed yet - he's the BEST pick'n'roll guy out there, --maybe-- after Steve Nash. These are qualitites that very few NBA PG's have.

Once his teammates get to know him better, and by that I mean:
    - Pick'n'roll with JO or Foster, or even Pollard
    - Alley-oops to Artest, JO, even Jax, Bender
    - Being ALWAYS ready for a pass to come your way is step number 1
    - Working to get yourself free, KNOWING that the pass will be there - that's step 2
    - In transition look for Saras. Only good things happen when this guy gets the ball after a rebound. He's fantastic in the open court!

I think Saras' highest quality is his passion for the game. The fans will love him, I guarantee you! He shouts, he yells, he laughs, he cheers, he's emotionally involved in every aspect of the game. He understands "momentum", he's the best momentum-breaker I've seen to play in years. He's the one who'll make the basket when nothing goes in for everyone else. He's the guy who'll draw the foul after a run by the other team. He'll hit a 3-ball that nobody expected him to shoot to get a momentum going, etc. etc. On the other hand, he's got the killer instinct. He'll hit the shot to ice games - one of the hardest shots to make. You'll never see him miss a free throw in the 4th quarter, and he hits those while joking around and having fun of it (who said Chauncey Billups?). All of these are aspects that Tinsley doesnt have, and will probably never have. That doesnt say who's the better PG, or who should start. Personally I beleive that Saras will start out as a backup, and when Tinsley goes out on injury at some point he will pick it up and that will be that.

One last note to "Cabbage-hater #1" Kegboy - I tend to agree with you about your cynicism and non-conformism, and before I really saw him play I didnt understand all the hype either. On the same note, though, I am willing to bet you anything you want that by the end of the season you will be the Saras #1 fan in Indiana. No hat eating will be necessary...