Thread: NY Post Article with Pacer mention

Default NY Post Article with Pacer mention

It's our boy Peter Vescey. First of all, really great point he makes about Curry following the death of Jason Collier. I highlighted the Pacers section.

October 16, 2005 -- Hoop du Jour HAD Jason Collier known he might be acutely susceptible to a heart attack, do you think the 28-year-old Hawks center who died suddenly at 5 a.m. yesterday — of what was initially suspected to be cardiac arrest — would've hurdled at the opportunity to take a non-invasive DNA test in hopes of tapering the truth? It's one thing to have no clue about your condition; unfortunately, more is learned from an autopsy than from even a comprehensive physical administered by the best doctors NBA teams can buy, hire or consult.
    It's another ball game altogether, despite warning signs, to blithely choose not to take every available examination in an effort to reduce your risk.
    Earth to Eddy (What, Me Worry?) Curry: Life is fragile, medicine is an art and there are no do-overs. Think of it as a Prevent Defense. Try to imagine how little money means compared to mortality before pain ravages your chest . . . not in the midst of it.
    Hank Gathers had no way of knowing what was about to hit him when he died on the floor while playing for Loyola Marymount.
    Reggie Lewis had keeled over once during a Celtics game and had been checked out thoroughly before dying while practicing on his own months later.
    Former Knick Monty Williams, currently a Trail Blazers assistant, was able to play in the NBA for 10 years in spite of a heart affliction that had been detected at Notre Dame.

In complete contrast, Brooklyn Tech's Conrad McRae dropped dead July 10, 2000 while playing at UC Irvine in the L.A. Summer League for the Magic. The former Syracuse center-forward's heart ailment had been diagnosed by the Nuggets' medical staff a few years prior. Denver refused to take any chances and cut him loose. Orlando allowed him to suit up once he indemnified the team by signing a bunch of release forms.
    Doc Rivers was coaching the Magic at the time. A friend of mine who attended McRae's funeral in New York says he'll never forget how traumatized Rivers looked that desolate day.
    Think Rivers would allow Curry to break a sweat for his Celtics unless Boston and Eddy had willingly explored every single test known to man and modern medicine?
    I wonder if the Knicks still see no reason to ask Curry to voluntarily go to that, "extreme?"
    At least Curry has a heads up which he and his new employer are choosing to ignore. We'll never know how Collier would've handled his situation.
    Jerry West's physical health (he has lost nearly 25 pounds) and mental state of mind (the Grizzlies have him excited) influenced the Memphis president not to call it a career after this year. It also didn't hurt, I suspect, that owner Michael Heisley showed the League Logo a lotta love by aggressively recruiting him to extend for two years for the princely price of (educated speculation) $7M per. Terms were not disclosed, but it's believed that 70 percent is going directly to West's agent, Col. Tom Parker.
    By the way, word has it Larry Brown's numbers are $11M per and that's not counting every conceivable perk, including use of a helicopter or jet on demand.
    In light of Amare Stoudemire's microsurgery and four months (minimum) on the shelf, and LeBron James' illness last week, doesn't the Cavaliers' franchise player owe it to himself to sign a max contract with Cleveland the moment he's eligible? Guaranteed Isiah Thomas and the Lakers are prepared to commit any atrocity to commandeer James before or after the Cavs' rights expire following the 2007-08 season.
    By all accounts, within and outside the Pacers' camp, Danny Granger is the steal of last June's draft. Selected No. 17, the New Mexico forward had been projected as a top six pick. An un-rehabilitated leg following surgery early last season scared off the masses. Indiana doctors maintained it wouldn't be a problem with the proper strengthening and it hasn't been. People tell me they've never seen anything like Granger and Ron Artest going at each other one-on-one.
    The Nets and Knicks played last night at Bridgeport, Conn. To make this usually mundane preseason game more interesting, Lawrence Frankincense and Next Town Brown made a wager: Whichever coach won, former Connecticut Governor John Rowland would repair his house.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: NY Post Article with Pacer mention

Ron vs Danny one on one? That would be great to see.

So ... how do we get these guys on the floor together? Three man SG/SF rotation with Artest/Jackson/Granger? Any other ideas?

Jack at the 2
    Danny at the 3
    Ron at the 4
    JO at center

And I agree I would LOVE to see Danny and Ron go at each other in practice.

Harmonica

Hank Gathers had no way of knowing what was about to hit him when he died on the floor while playing for Loyola Marymount.

Reggie Lewis had keeled over once during a Celtics game and had been checked out thoroughly before dying while practicing on his own months later.
    Hank Gathers had been diagnosed with a heart condition before he died. From what I understand, he chose not to take his meds for arrhythmia. Said they made him sluggish. He was a time bomb regardless because of his condition. He should never have been on the floor.

Reggie Lewis received conflicting reports from doctors, but chose to go with those that said he could continue playing. Nice call, docs. Oops.

Vescey needs to do his research.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hank Gathers had been diagnosed with a heart condition before he died. From what I understand, he chose not to take his meds for arrhythmia. Said they made him sluggish. He was a time bomb regardless because of his condition. He should never have been on the floor.

Reggie Lewis received conflicting reports from doctors, but chose to go with those that said he could continue playing. Nice call, docs. Oops.

Vescey needs to do his research.
    With Gathers what happened is he kept bugging the Doctors to reduce his med levels. They did and he died. There was a lawsuit over it - I don't know where that ended up.

One of the people who examined Lewis was Dr. Estes - a cardiologist who also happened to have examined Eddy Curry. Estes told Lewis to quit playing.

This summer Estes, in giving Curry clearance to play, said (paraphrasing): "This is nothing like Hank Gathers or Reggie Lewis. In those cases we were talking about diseased, damaged hearts. Curry's heart is perfectly healthy and normal for a man his size."

Vescey's getting dumber with age.

Edit: My bad - that quote came from Dr. Canmom, not Estes. Here's a thread with an article I posted a few days ago - it's no longer on the Tribune site (7-day archive).

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15286
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Danny's defense really impresses me.

I've noticed Ron has brought the ball up a few times. Does anyone think a lineup without a true PG is a possibilty.

Something that would have Ron, Danny, Jack, JO, and a random center on the court at the same time...? Ehh prolly not
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I think with practice Jack could bring the rock up, ron can play the 2. Yes that is very possible, especially if we get a lead and we just need to lock a taem down.

jack/ron/granger/jo/any center or even croshere

is a pretty intimidating lineup defensively. JO would clearly just play Center on defense basically.

I'd like to see that lineup brought in once we have established a lead and need to maintain it. Jack is so big, no little point guard is going to give him that much trouble. He just needs to take a couple lessons from Tinsley on that little back kick thing he does to get up the floor.

I dont think you want Jax at any other spot but the 2
    Ron at the 3 Granger at the 4 as we know he is as tall as Samaki and has long arms in some situations you can expose the slower and undersized PF's in the league.

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know Danny is getting a good wourk out when he goes up against Ron.

Rememeber the day when ol Great Isiah, had the dream of Artest as a Point Fwd.. Artest handling the Rock Duties....

ohh the memories...

I'd like to know what Vesey thinks is a intrusive test :|

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood

Something that would have Ron, Danny, Jack, JO, and a random center on the court at the same time...? Ehh prolly not
    I don't know about your PG experiment/theory but I think "and a random center" describes our center spot well

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, the versatility of this team amazes me! We've got guys that can play three and four positions. We've got big sets, small sets, offensive sets, defensive sets, sets for rainy days, for sunny days, set for green eggs and ham in box with a fox wearing blue sox.

OK, a little carried away, but, you get the point -- or does Ron get the point? Maybe Granger could, he did in college. Heck, why not try JO at point once or twice.

I love the fact that we can bring out different players for different positions against different opponents at different times for different needs.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    Wow, the versatility of this team amazes me! We've got guys that can play three and four positions. We've got big sets, small sets, offensive sets, defensive sets, sets for rainy days, for sunny days, set for green eggs and ham in box with a fox wearing blue sox.

OK, a little carried away, but, you get the point -- or does Ron get the point? Maybe Granger could, he did in college. Heck, why not try JO at point once or twice.

I love the fact that we can bring out different players for different positions against different opponents at different times for different needs.
    If only we had healthy centers...
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

just thinking about a line up with that much defensive talent makes me giggle like a little school girl!!!!!