Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawks' Jason Collier Dies

sweabs

Default Hawks' Jason Collier Dies

f
    Last edited by sweabs; 08-08-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hawks' Jason Collier Dies

Whoa, that's horrible. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Man that completely sucks. I remember when he committed to IU out of Ohio and then later transferred to Ga.Tech. Seemed like a nice, kind of quiet, kid. I never thought he would be in the pros this long, but hadn't heard anything ever about him having arrythmia or similiar heart conditions. Sympathies to his family. Too young to die, for sure.

ESPN is reporting that it was likely due to a heart attack.

man...that sucks

deepest condolences towards his family and hawks organization

Pacesetter

Unbelievable. I just read a story on him the other day, and it dawned on me he played his last couple years at Georgia Tech, and now he's playing for the Hawks which seemed like a great fit. I also noticed he one of his most productive seasons last year.

Very sad to see a basketball player depart this life, and especially one that you've watched play alot of ballgames!

My condolences to the Collier family, & the Hawks!

Very tragic and to be young and supposedly healthy just adds to it....

Certainly puts a few things into perspective as well...

Why Not Us ?

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

I just read about this. Certainly puts even more scrutiny on the whole Eddy Curry affair.

My condolences to the young man's family.
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

Quote Originally Posted by BostonConnection
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just read about this. Certainly puts even more scrutiny on the whole Eddy Curry affair.

My condolences to the young man's family.

Those were my thoughts exactly

That is simply horrible. I know his cousin.

My deepest condolences to his entire family.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The NBA seriously needs to investigate the effects of a grueling 82 game season combined with constant strenuous workouts has on the heart.

this sucks
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987
    The NBA seriously needs to investigate the effects of a grueling 82 game season combined with constant strenuous workouts has on the heart.
    It's so rare. When you compare the number of athletes that die each year to the number of participants in both amateur and professional sports, the percentage is very, very small. Most of the time it's due to a previously undetected and underlying problem. And how many heart-related deaths can you think of in professional basketball? Reggie Lewis? His problem was detected and he received conflicting reports as to weather he should continue to play or not. I suspect he sought enough opinions until he heard the one he wanted to hear. I do believe the NBA season is too long in terms of wear-and-tear on an athlete's body, but it hardly warrants an investigation.

Wow, definitely didn't see that one coming.

RIP Jason
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Harmonica

"Due to initial reports, Collier, 28, died in his sleep earlier in the morning."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

On the surface, my guess would be that he died of Long QT Syndrome. Though I imagine it might go undiagnosed because it's incredibly hard to detect post-mortem and it's a relatively new medical discovery in sudden cardiac death in young people.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    "Due to initial reports, Collier, 28, died in his sleep earlier in the morning."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

On the surface, my guess would be that he died of Long QT Syndrome. Though I imagine it might go undiagnosed because it's incredibly hard to detect post-mortem and it's a relatively new medical discovery in sudden cardiac death in young people.

I just set through a Long QT class just two weeks ago. The irony of that is that the guy who taught it was from Atlanta, GA.

Of course it's way to early to tell if this is what occured, but no matter the cause this is sad.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    I just set through a Long QT class just two weeks ago. The irony of that is that the guy who taught it was from Atlanta, GA.

Of course it's way to early to tell if this is what occured, but no matter the cause this is sad.
    Of course, but it's the first thing I think of when I hear about a young person dying suddenly and inexplicably. And it's amazing how very few people in the medical profession know about it, although it appears that's starting to change.

that sucks...

Of course, but it's the first thing I think of when I hear about a young person dying suddenly and inexplicably. And it's amazing how little known it is in the medical profession, although it appears that's starting to change.

Well to be fair it's been known for a long time, there just wasn't a name for it & it wasn't so closely scrutinized in the deaths of young people. I'm sure in retrospect a lot of people actually died of this but they just didn't test for it.

Also, GA is one of the leading states for research on this.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Well to be fair it's been known for a long time, there just wasn't a name for it & it wasn't so closely scrutinized in the deaths of young people. I'm sure in retrospect a lot of people actually died of this but they just didn't test for it.

Also, GA is one of the leading states for research on this.
    From my research, and if I recall correctly, I believe it was identified and given a name in the mid-90s. That's pretty recent. And yes, they now suspect that a lot of previously inexplicable deaths in young people might be attributed to this. Testing for it is difficult because the first episode is usually fatal. How many parents would have their children tested for it without some prior concern? And detecting it post-mortem, I believe, requires genetic testing from tissue.

It's very unfortunate that one has to pass away so young. My thoughts to those who were close to him and his teammates
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

RIP

Unfortunately, history tells us that coronary events in 20-something athletes are more than likely a result of some sort of substance abuse.

Harmonica

AP - Oct 15, 2:44 pm EDT
    ATLANTA (AP) -- Atlanta Hawks center Jason Collier died early Saturday after he had trouble breathing and was stricken in his home, his father said. He was 28.

Jeff Collier told The Associated Press his son died in an ambulance on the way to the hospital and did not have any diagnosed health problems apart from his knees.

Jeff Collier said he received a phone call at 3:30 a.m. Saturday from Jason's wife, Katie, who said her husband was having trouble breathing and quickly turned blue.

"You get a call and it's your daughter-in-law crying saying she's giving him CPR and trying to keep him going," Jeff Collier said. "I guess it took awhile for the paramedics to get there. He had a slight pulse when they took him and he passed away in the ambulance while they took him to the hospital."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

From my research, and if I recall correctly, I believe it was identified and given a name in the mid-90s. That's pretty recent. And yes, they now suspect that a lot of previously inexplicable deaths in young people might be attributed to this. Testing for it is difficult because the first episode is usually fatal. How many parents would have their children tested for it without some prior concern? And detecting it post-mortem, I believe, requires genetic testing from tissue.
    Just curious, is this disease more common in athletes?