Thread: Damone Brown?

Default Damone Brown?

I went to the game, as I told you all we would win.

But this Damone Brown guy really impressed me, a lot more than samaki. He reminds me A LOT of Bender, minus the always injured part.

I think taking a closer look at Damone Brown might be worth a shot, anyone agree?

This guy was displaying some major jumps and can shoot the three surprisingly. He seemed to be hitting the boards pretty hard also.

Default Re: Damone Brown?

He looked pretty good, but seemed to get lost and out of position a lot. He's got some talent, and I was impressed, but we simply don't need him

Plus with the position he plays he does not stand a chance anyway to make this team.

Why Not Us ?

Damone Brown baby, he is the guy I want to be the 15th man.

Damone Brown will be one of the better players in the D league & I don't mean that as an insult. I wouldn't be suprised if he got called up to the NBA for a 10 day contract or two & then if the circumstance is right he might make a team.

However that team will not be the Indiana Pacers. We are just loaded at the position he plays.

Like it or not, due to injury, Samaki Walker is an Indiana Pacer.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I like Damone a lot more then samaki..

Damone seems to me to be your typical 6' 8/ 6'9 defend-a-lot, rebound-a-lot-, score-very-little bench SF. Nothing too special, although he could be a decent bench player somewhere.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Damone a lot more then samaki..

Well it's probably because he has more of a fluid game to watch. To sit down & just watch either of them play almost anybody would be enamored more with the individual skills that Brown has.

However, in a team game, Walker has more of the particular skills we need at the moment.

We don't really need another player who can slash & shoot. What we desperately need right now is a person who is strong, has a wide body frame, knows how to set picks & screens, will body up stronger post players on defense, rebound & oh it would be nice if they could hit an open shot.

Walker, while not perfect, does fit most of this.

But if I was going to pick who would win a one on one game I would choose Brown everytime.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Well it's probably because he has more of a fluid game to watch. To sit down & just watch either of them play almost anybody would be enamored more with the individual skills that Brown has.

However, in a team game, Walker has more of the particular skills we need at the moment.

We don't really need another player who can slash & shoot. What we desperately need right now is a person who is strong, has a wide body frame, knows how to set picks & screens, will body up stronger post players on defense, rebound & oh it would be nice if they could hit an open shot.

But if I was going to pick who would win a one on one game I would choose Brown everytime.
    Peck, I watched the game intently last night (although it was 2 o'clock so maybe I was half asleep). I looked for the things that you see in Smaki, I probably watched him closer than any other player. I will concede one thing. He is a decent defender. Nothing else about the guy impresses me, even his rebounding disappoints me somehow, I think his boxing out is weak.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Damone.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Peck, I watched the game intently last night (although it was 2 o'clock so maybe I was half asleep). I looked for the things that you see in Smaki, I probably watched him closer than any other player. I will concede one thing. He is a decent defender. Nothing else about the guy impresses me, even his rebounding disappoints me somehow, I think his boxing out is weak.
    Don't confuse the fact that I think we need a player like him to actually liking him as a player.

I think he's solid, nothing more nothing less.

But the fact that he is a decent defender is huge for us, especially against strong post players.

But your right about one thing, he's not that great of a rebounder. He's ok, but he sure could use some work there.

But one thing we both need to watch next time is how he uses his body to help out the wing players on the offensive side. He has the size, so let's see how well he uses it.

I did see him set several good picks but to be honest I need to pay more attention next time.

The Sixers drafted him in the 2nd round because Larry Brown liked his work ethic and he had a strong training camp that year and made the roster but was cut early in his rookie season because of a numbers crunch at the 3 spot. In limited time he did show some nice skills and a good work ethic when he was with the 76ers.

Dear Damone Brown,

I always stick up for you.

Whenever people say 'Aw, that Damone is just a D league player' -- and they say that a lot -- I say 'You just don't know Damone.'

When someone says you're worse than Samaki Walker, I tell them 'Damone's not worse than Samaki Walker. You just don't know him.'

Sincerely,
    Mark "Soup" Ratner

Quote Originally Posted by Peck

I feel ya, I feel ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    He looked pretty good, but seemed to get lost and out of position a lot.
    Maybe that is why he reminded him of Bender?

Of what I've seen of preseason I agree with the thought that Samaki will be a Pacer due to a numbers game and the fact he is not a dud. He wins a role because he is servicable at a position we are thin and vulnerable at.

...Of course if we weren't wasting a roster spot on Bender and had cut him as our amnesty victim (as I still believe we should've both from a $$$ sense and basketball team sense) maybe we could've addressed this position a little more and had a bit more of an open competition for it in training camp/preseason.

It is the Pacers' Achilles heel.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Maybe that is why he reminded him of Bender?

Of what I've seen of preseason I agree with the thought that Samaki will be a Pacer due to a numbers game and the fact he is not a dud. He wins a role because he is servicable at a position we are thin and vulnerable at.

...Of course if we weren't wasting a roster spot on Bender and had cut him as our amnesty victim (as I still believe we should've both from a $$$ sense and basketball team sense) maybe we could've addressed this position a little more and had a bit more of an open competition for it in training camp/preseason.

It is the Pacers' Achilles heel.

-Bball
    The roster spot we are wasting is Eddie Gill's. Giving him a two year contract was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    I dont really liek Gill, but saying were wasting his spot is asinine, IMHO, when we have Bender to compare to him.

He stepped up last year, and even shocked hte hell out of me by playing halfway decently, and even had a few good games.

We didnt bring him in to be a star, we brought him in to play his usual tough defense and to challenge Mel-Mel and AJ. The productivity we got out of him last season during the rough times was just "gravy", IMHO
    Yes but you simply don't give players of his caliber two year contracts. There are plenty of other IR-riding PG's that we could have gotten for a one year contract.