Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey, rcarey, check it...

sweabs

Default Re: Hey, rcarey, check it...

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, free jazz is a little hard on my ears as well. As a music composer friend of mine said, "You have to work up to it, but it makes perfect sense." I had an interesting thing happen recently. I bought Bītches Brew several years ago and just couldn't get into it. Well, a few weeks ago I put it on and wow! it just blew me away. They were breathing fire in those sessions. I kinda think that's what my friend was talking about. My ears weren't ready for it when I first heard it. Oh, have you listened to Grant Green's Idle Moments? That's one of those early-60s Blue Note recordings that incorporates a traditionally non-jazz instrument (Bobby Hutcherson on the vibraphone) and makes it somehow work to quirky effect.
    The scenario you outlined happens to a lot of people. My old jazz teacher said the same thing about Coltrane when he first started listening as a kid. These things just take time - I was the same with some of Coltrane's later stuff.

I have never heard Idle Moments. I'll look it up, because I've always had an appreciation for the vibraphone, yet my collection wouldn't reflect that. The only guy I've really listened to is Lionel Hampton.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by pollardfreek
    Ever since I started getting really serious about my guitar playing and theory, I've started listening to jazz and blues so I could get schooled in the roots of more modern music. I've started listening to Louis Jordan and I've got to say I love his stuff. Since you guys seem to be experts on the subject I was just wondering if you had any suggestions for somebody like me who's just getting into the genre.
    It's good you're listening to Louis Jordan - he's a very important figure in the development of Rhythm and Blues.

Judging by your avatar, you've already ventured into the realm of Muddy Waters which is another good place to start.

Robert Johnson is a guy you really should listen to, and if you want to go way back to an influential guitarist, listen to some of Blind Lemon Jefferson's stuff.

By the way - my favourite jazz guitarists are Stanley Jordan and Wes Montgomery.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    I have never heard Idle Moments. I'll look it up, because I've always had an appreciation for the vibraphone, yet my collection wouldn't reflect that. The only guy I've really listened to is Lionel Hampton.
    When you send me the J.J. disc, make sure you include your return address and I'll burn a copy of Idle Moments and send it to you. You'll like it. It's really funky and laid back. Probably one of my favorites.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    When you send me the J.J. disc, make sure you include your return address and I'll burn a copy of Idle Moments and send it to you. You'll like it. It's really funky and laid back. Probably one of my favorites.
    Sounds great - thanks!

By the way, btown: What sax do you play? I'm sure you can play all, but what are you most comfortable with?

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by pollardfreek
    Ever since I started getting really serious about my guitar playing and theory, I've started listening to jazz and blues so I could get schooled in the roots of more modern music. I've started listening to Louis Jordan and I've got to say I love his stuff. Since you guys seem to be experts on the subject I was just wondering if you had any suggestions for somebody like me who's just getting into the genre.
    I used to play guitar a lot when I was younger and decided to take jazz guitar lessons at some point. I took them for about 6 months and my playing improved dramatically. I tended to play rock, but the jazz lessons brought an unusual dimension to my playing. rcarey mentioned Wes Montgomery. A great place to start with him is The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery. I also like Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue. And Grant Green's Idle Moments is one of my favorite jazz recordings.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    I grew up on the alto, so that's my baby. I don't care for the tenor. It's just too funky. But there's nothing I love more than the rare opportunity to play a bass, as those things sound incredible in the right arrangement. Did I ever tell you I got to play at Carnegie Hall in grade school? Unbelievable experience.
    You played at Carnegie Hall? They let you...btown, in there?

Just kidding - but how exactly did you get to experience that? Imagine the acoustics!

Hey rcarey, that's good to hear that you're intrigued enough to sample some more. I love the early Ornette stuff, his band was cracking in the 60s too (Scott LaFaro was just awesome when he was around, Don Cherry has had some moments of greatness as well - but he's got some 'strikeout w/ a man on 3rd' type records too methinks). It's not immediately accessible but after some good listening it makes more sense.

You might like some of the Steve Lacy/Roswell Rudd collaborations where they do all the Monk tunes (there are at least a few of those) but you may really enjoy an early Lacy cd called 'The Straight Horn Of Steve Lacy'. He's got a really interesting story in that he was a dixieland player who for some unknown reason Monk picked up to play with his combo for a while. Lacy took a lot away from his short time with Monk and Monk is sort of his muse in a way. 'The Straight Horn...' is one of his earlier sessions and isn't free, it's more or less a hard bop record and a fine one at that. It's not an inaccessible record at all.

Other trombone players... Grachan Moncour III is a free player who played with Shepp some and has done quite a few sessions where he was the leader. Not sure if you'd like him, I'm not a huge fan although he does have a very cool name. A good friend of mine is a trombone player so I've sat through the 'George Lewis Solo Trombone' record more than once. It's somewhat difficult to find records where trombone is featured prominently after the hard bop era because (as I'm sure you know being a player) it just fell out of favor when saxes and trumpets became the weapon of choice because scales could be done faster or it was more exciting to play or blah blah blah.

As far as New Thing or free stuff goes I wouldn't be the only person who swears up and down that Ayler's 'Spiritual Unity' is absolutely essential and is one of those rare documents that captures 'the right people' on 'the right day' at 'the right period of time'. His playing is fluid and very unique. The interaction between the trio is pretty amazing once you listen a few times and it's not just a rhythm section f'ing around while someone else is playing tenor. When Ayler and his band have it "on", I find his music beautiful in a very unique, emotional way. It can be challenging at times though. He has a very interesting and I would say tragic story as well but that's pretty well documented and I'm sure someone has it laid out online.

whew.

sweabs

Kerosene - thanks for all the recommendations. I always like some direction when I'm going to look for new music, so thanks again. I've cut and paste a bunch of these suggestions from yourself and Harmonica and saved them in a word document.

Btown - sounds like an awesome experience. Did you guys have a real good music teacher, or was your success more a result of a bunch of talented players? Or a combination? I know sometimes you just happen to get a grade school band, where half the kids are taking private lessons.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by kerosene
    As far as New Thing or free stuff goes I wouldn't be the only person who swears up and down that Ayler's 'Spiritual Unity' is absolutely essential and is one of those rare documents that captures 'the right people' on 'the right day' at 'the right period of time'. His playing is fluid and very unique. The interaction between the trio is pretty amazing once you listen a few times and it's not just a rhythm section f'ing around while someone else is playing tenor. When Ayler and his band have it "on", I find his music beautiful in a very unique, emotional way. It can be challenging at times though. He has a very interesting and I would say tragic story as well but that's pretty well documented and I'm sure someone has it laid out online.
    That's the second time I've seen Ayler's Spiritual Unity mentioned in as many weeks. Might be time to check it out.

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I'm really enjoying the stuff you recommended. Stanley Jordan is simply amazing. Do any of you guys get the BET Jazz channel? I used to get it until they replaced it with Style. That channel really trained my ear for the stuff I'm listening to now.