Thread: Colts = The Others

Default Colts = The Others

From Bill Simmons: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/051014.

The Colts' organization, to its credit, has finally realized there's no reason to unleash heavy artillery against crappy teams (like the ridiculous 2004 stretch in which they walloped four terrible teams by a combined score of 182-57). Why not control the clock, keep Edgerrin James happy, keep their defense off the field and save the fireworks for big games? Sure, Peyton Manning can't throw for an extra 30 meaningless TDs and win another ESPY for Record-Breaking Performance this way, but it makes them infinitely tougher to scout during the season -- watching them these first five games, I almost feel like they're biding their time until Week 9, when they'll almost certainly be bringing a 500-pound kitchen sink to Foxborough with them.

And for the first time in three years, I'm honestly afraid of the Colts; they're almost like The Others in "Lost." What's going on with them? Why haven't they unleashed the passing game yet? What happens when they drop the hammer? There isn't a more frightening team in the league -- not only does their schedule pretty much guarantee them home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, not only is the Super Bowl in a Dome this year, but they only have to break out kitchen sinks for two games this season (at New England in Week 9, at Cincy in Week 11). Maybe they aren't a mortal lock for the title or anything, but it seems like Manning and the Colts finally realized three things:

1. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

2. This isn't about breaking records and winning ESPYs, it's about winning football games and peaking in January.

3. Great teams break out the kitchen sink only when they absolutely need it. That's why the 2005 season doesn't officially start until Week 9, when both teams bring their respective sinks to Gillette Stadium and pull a Coralles-Castillo on one another.

And honestly? I can't wait.

"Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

Default Re: Colts = The Others

Bill Simmons and Jason Fatlock both jocking the Colts.

Repent, the end is nigh.
    :thepacers

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Me thinks someone could have been a little more creative than writing "kitchen sinks" that many times...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't realize we're scary.

RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR!!!

Our defense has played really well the past five weeks, but I'm excited for Monday, as it will be a real test.

That said, Simmons has picked us to lose 2x out of the past five weeks, and he picked us to lose again this week. Here's to hoping we stick it to him again.

"Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Snart
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our defense has played really well the past five weeks, but I'm excited for Monday, as it will be a real test.

That said, Simmons has picked us to lose 2x out of the past five weeks, and he picked us to lose again this week. Here's to hoping we stick it to him again.
    I thought he was picking the Rams to beat the spread, not necessarily to win.

IndyToad
    Full of special features

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought he was picking the Rams to beat the spread, not necessarily to win.

IndyToad
    Full of special features
    Yeah, my bad. I need to work on reading/gambling comprehension.

I just hope this means that when we do finally show ourselves, we're not just some inbred yocals tooling around in a tugboat.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!