Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

  1. #1
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    24
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...510130415/1088
    October 13, 2005

    Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    By Mike Wells

    You expected more excitement from the voice on the other end of the phone.
    Indiana Pacers forward Jonathan Bender was less than 24 hours removed from scoring 13 points, including attempting a game-high 14 free throws, in the preseason opener against the New Jersey Nets.

    More encouraging was the manner in which he scored -- on aggressive drives to the basket that drew fouls. Drives that showed his right knee is OK.
    Ecstatic? Elated? Not Bender. Not yet. Not after what he has endured the past three seasons.
    "There's no reason to get excited about it because it was just one game," Bender said Wednesday. "I'm not surprised at how I played because that's how I played in the summer."
    Others might have done a double take at his opening act.
    It certainly didn't look like the same Jonathan Bender who has played a total of 74 games the past three seasons because of an assortment of injuries. Bender said his knee was "a little sore when I woke up, but that's expected."
    Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said the plan is to play Bender at the power forward position because "it gives him a quickness advantage."
    Bender said his objective is to get to the rim.
    "My goal is to play as aggressive as I can," he said. "In the past, I would get in games and play more like a robot; just run to the spot where I need to be at on the court, not looking at every option. If I've got a big guy on me that isn't as quick, I'm going to put the ball on the ground and go by him."
    His play Tuesday certainly didn't surprise his teammates. Bender, the No. 5 pick in the 1999 draft, has been doing that throughout training camp.
    "Jonathan's amazing," guard Stephen Jackson said last week. "To see him out there running and jumping, he looks like the old Jonathan Bender -- the high school Jonathan Bender."
    Bender, of course, has heard that praise almost every preseason.
    He knows every compliment comes with a concern about his health.
    "I'm not worried about what people think," he said. "I'm just out here to play my game and help my team."
    Injury update
    Carlisle said forward Jermaine O'Neal (thigh) might play tonight against Utah. Rookie Danny Granger (ankle) is doubtful and David Harrison (side pain) and Jeff Foster (Achilles tendon) are out.
    There is some concern that Foster might not be ready for the regular-season opener Nov. 2 at Orlando. He has not participated in contact drills in practice.
    "It's hard to say," Carlisle said. "We still believe he'll be ready for Nov. 2, but right now it's hard to put an exact date on his return. We're trying not to take any unnecessary risks with him."
    Bender's career
    Jonathan Bender has struggled with injuries throughout his career. In the preseason opener Tuesday, the 24-year-old forward showed glimpses, again, of what he can do when healthy.



    Hope this hasn't been posted yet. If it has you know what to do Dr. C .

  2. #2
    Member Pacers#1Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    God I hope he stays healthy.

  3. #3
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carlisle said forward Jermaine O'Neal (thigh) might play tonight against Utah. Rookie Danny Granger (ankle) is doubtful and David Harrison (side pain) and Jeff Foster (Achilles tendon) are out.
    Well that's a little disappointing. I was hoping to see Granger tonight......

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well that's a little disappointing. I was hoping to see Granger tonight......
    I just want to make sure that Danny is healthy before he steps out onto the court... I'd like him to be competing for minutes during the season and not sitting on the bench injured.

  5. #5
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordecaii
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just want to make sure that Danny is healthy before he steps out onto the court... I'd like him to be competing for minutes during the season and not sitting on the bench injured.
    I pay full price for pre-season games. He needs to get out there and play hard, hurt or not.........

  6. #6
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    U mad, doggy.
    Dangit!

    I just do me. I buy half season tickets. I go to games, and I try to take pictures for the forum. I have a family, so if you hear me about being in the club getting it popping, that's not true. I'm married with three children. I don't care what people think about me. I'm in the balcony every season. I'm like the king of the balcony. Nobody does it how I do it. That's pretty much it man. I'm a regular fan. I don't really try to wild out. They be calling me "low key this, reserved that" but you can't blame me. I grew up around low key and reserved people. You can't blame me for who I grew up around................

  7. #7
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I pay full price for pre-season games. He needs to get out there and play hard, hurt or not.........
    So you want him to be the next Grant Hill: Orlando, the early years.

  8. #8
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,496

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Bender said his knee was "a little sore when I woke up, but that's expected."
    .."to be expected"... Much like it is to be expected that this pain will get worse as more practices and games take place...

    And like it is to be expected that he won't or can't play thru this pain...

    Fortunately I've set the bar so low in my expectations for Jonathon Bender that he won't have to do much for me to be pleasantly surprised.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  9. #9

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hater.

    Supporting Bender=Supporting the Pacers.

    Every fan should love every player completely.
    And I will hug him and squeeze him and love him and ...
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  11. #11
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    24
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I will hug him and squeeze him and love him and ...

  12. #12
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I will hug him and squeeze him and love him and ...
    Don't Squeeze to hard, you might break him.....

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't Squeeze to hard, you might break him.....
    LOL - for those who watched Bugs Bunny, that was sort of the point (part of it anyway)
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  14. #14
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    24
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope


  15. #15

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    See, this is what makes me mad. Prior to training camp, Jeff Foster was 100% guaranteed to be ready for the regular season. Then he had a minor achilles injury. Then it was a little more severe than expected. Now he might miss some time in the regular season. So is the guy actually missing a leg, and we're not going to find out about it till the all-star break? Surely they knew days ago that he was probably going to miss the season opener and some regular season games.

    And what is up with David Harrison? These injuries are really getting to me.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    I say Bender's new nickname should be "Sick Note."

    Jonathan "Sick Note" Bender has a nice ring to it. It rolls off the tongue.


    "Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

  17. #17
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    24
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    it does roll off.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,795

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...510130415/1088
    October 13, 2005

    Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    By Mike Wells

    Tuesday, the 24-year-old forward showed glimpses, again, of what he can do when healthy.
    Yep, let's see now, 1-5 from the field and 1 rebound in 16 minutes.
    He sure showed everyone, didn't he?

    I know, I know, he hit his free throws. Still, 1 rebound in 16 minutes?

  19. #19
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,496

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See, this is what makes me mad. Prior to training camp, Jeff Foster was 100% guaranteed to be ready for the regular season. Then he had a minor achilles injury. Then it was a little more severe than expected. Now he might miss some time in the regular season. So is the guy actually missing a leg, and we're not going to find out about it till the all-star break? Surely they knew days ago that he was probably going to miss the season opener and some regular season games.

    And what is up with David Harrison? These injuries are really getting to me.
    If I was cynical I'd think they downplay or even sweep these injuries under the rug in an attempt to not throw a wet blanket on fan enthusiasm... and potential ticket sales.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  20. #20
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the forum may need a whole truckload of these things.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  21. #21
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the forum may need a whole truckload of these things.



    Why Not Us ?


  22. #22
    Member Pacers#1Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    I love the way Bender is playing. He was a little TO agressive tonight.

  23. #23
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    24
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love the way Bender is playing. He was a little TO agressive tonight.
    6 fouls in 12 mins. too agressive...atleast he won't be too tired to play tonite vs. twolves .

  24. #24
    Member Pacers#1Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6 fouls in 12 mins. too agressive...atleast he won't be too tired to play tonite vs. twolves .
    good point

  25. #25
    Member Pacers#1Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Aggressive Bender offers Pacers hope

    It's nice that he plays hard one night and we still expect him to play the next night. He is showing some great signs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •