Thread: Carlisle 'disappointed' with Artest's freelancing

Default Carlisle 'disappointed' with Artest's freelancing

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...510120448/1088

nets 105, pacers 103
    Artest shaky in return
    Carlisle 'disappointed' with forward's freelancing
    By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com
    EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Ron Artest didn't want Tuesday's preseason opener against the New Jersey Nets to be a big deal.
    He didn't plan on having friends and family members attend the game, although his hometown of Queensbridge, N.Y., is across the Hudson River from Continental Airlines Arena.

But just as his career has gone, nothing went according to plan for Artest.
    Artest scrounged up 13 tickets for his family and friends only to have a far from glamorous performance in the Indiana Pacers' 105-103 loss to the Nets.
    "I thought Ronnie struggled," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "At times he went away from what we were doing as a team and that disappointed me."
    Artest had eight points on 3-for-8 shooting in 12 minutes. All three of his rebounds were offensive.
    "I was practicing out there," he said. "I wasn't taking the game too serious out there because that's how the game was going."
    Artest's comments of not taking the game seriously aren't what the Pacers want to hear, considering he's essentially been away from the game for a year. He played on the team's summer league squad in Minneapolis against lesser talent, but Tuesday marked the first time since the infamous brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills (Mich.) last November that he played in an organized, competitive game against NBA players.
    Artest's stated approach to this season probably won't help him, either.
    "I'm still going to be playing hard and wild and out of control like an animal that needs to be caged in," he said before the game. "I'll let the referees handle it."
    Despite being without three of the team's key frontcourt players, Artest floated around the perimeter, pulling up for jumpers (0-for-3 on 3-pointers) bringing the ball up the court.
    "I was just trying to do what I do," Artest said. "I have to let it come within the offense. I know I can take my man anytime, but that's not what it's about.
    "It's an adjustment because when I left last season, it was totally a different style than what it is now. I have to get my timing back and adjust to the new style of play."
    Artest received a mixed reaction from the sparse crowd during introductions and there was limited heckling from the fans.
    "I'm looking forward to being bashed and cursed out," Artest said about facing unruly fans this season. "That's going to be a lot of fun."
    The most animated Artest became was early in the third quarter, when he picked up two quick fouls and a three-seconds violation. Artest questioned, in a conversational tone, referee James Capers after he was called for a hand checking foul on a drive by Vince Carter. Artest left the game for good with 8:53 left in the third quarter.
    "I think when I got Defensive Player of the Year I was playing great defense," Artest said. "Last year when they implemented those new rules, I was still playing very good defense. I just have to get adjusted to the NBA style of play. It will be fine because I can still slide my feet."
    Artest is going to be in the spotlight throughout the season. Every one of his mishaps is going to be put under a microscope. Artest, however, sees it as a way to promote his second career. Artest plans to release a hip-hop compact disc later this season.
    "(Music star) Jay Z, he pays millions of dollars for promotion, and I'm getting it for free," Artest said.

Default Re: Carlisle 'disappointed' with Artest's freelancing

oh no...
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Well that is not good to read.

As I was listening to the game last night it seemd as though Ronnie was taking some quick shots, but Mark and Slick didn't say anything so I didn't think much about it. Not having seen the game myself it is difficult to know just how bad it was. But if Rick said something it must not be good.

Ron better get his act together, we don't need this. This concerns me more than antyhing else Ron does. It is only preseason, so we'll see

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great.......
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Hmmm

He can't do this stuff right now. Yes, he needs to be physical. But he must stop taking quick shots.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

First I over sleep and now I read this. I have a feeling this isn't going to be my day.

Horrible, horrible start to the day. Damn it RON!! Already, he didn't waste anytime at all. Damn it!

Does anybody know what we did with that 55 gallon drum of Thorazine we had lying around Conseco?

I think someone needs an IV drip....

This season should be all about "If you aren't with us, you're against us."

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

This is just a drop in the bucket, but to all those that preached ad nausuem about Ron being a "changed man" after 11/19, I hope you all take a long time to soak this in, and think about what it predicts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Game 1 of the preseason and Ron Ron is already back to his bad habits.

The most irritating thing is he's back to saying really stupid things. I'm now officially worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

NotLosingButWinning

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace

The most irritating thing is he's back to saying really stupid things. I'm now officially worried.
    Artest will never stop saying stupid things. I could really care less about what he says before and after games. The fact that he wasn't playing within the offense is the most frustrating and disturbing part part. At the same time, I don't think he can start where he left off after last season.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace

Did he ever STOP saying stupid things?! I'm trying to remember that he was probably a little beside himself given the situation he was in, so I'm willing to let him work back into game shape, physically and mentally....

I guess I don't have much choice!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Sports Logo

Well at least it will be an interesting year.

sweabs

I desperately want to believe that this will all work out okay, but what happens when JO comes back too? That's just one more offensive weapon out there, that potentially "takes away" some of Artests' shots.

Artest was playing with a lot of bench players and guys competing for a spot on this team. On the one hand, he may have felt obliged to pick up the slack and do the scoring for our team.

On the other hand, this could have been all about the "Artest show" - and he is in fact more concerned with personal stats than working collectively for the teams' success (which would go against everything he has said in the media...which also wouldn't surprise me).

P.S. - what a way to start off the year.................

It's just his way of thinking that gets me. The fact that he doesn't think that he did anything wrong. It's like when I catch my 13 year old doing something stupid, he may not think that anything is wrong with what he had done, but then again, HE'S 13!

So how long before we see the "What can we get for ron" thread?

I'm sure he knows he did something wrong. He is just to stupid and Arrogant to admit it.

And like Artest said, its been almost a year since he has played competitive basketball against NBA caliber players. Rick should have let him practice. He has a much bigger adjustment than anybody who was allowed in the league last year.

Eh. Just let the referees handle it, Rick........

I saw the whole thing last night on TV and while he didn't exactly rush shots as much as he took alot of stupid ones.

This is something I forget about him every offseason. He's such a tremendous talent and on paper he should be virtually perfect. But his descion making can be atrocious at times and it affects the entire team it seems.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Those who anger you control you.

Ron controls a lot of people evidently!

Time will tell - I don't care what Ron says - what he does on the court is what is important. I think his play last night was a byproduct of playing in the summer league where he was expected to do it all. I personally think he wasn't that far out of control last night and he will reign it in even more as the preseason rolls on.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I want to say two things for the record.

1) I've never said that Ron will be a changed man. Never even thought it. I don't believe he will.

2) My vow from maybe two seasons ago to never pay any attention to what Ron says has served me rather well. While many of you rise and fall with what he says, I really don't even pay any attention.

I'm anxious to see how Ronnie plays in the next two homes games.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    and he is in fact more concerned with personal stats than working collectively for the teams' success

I don't believe that. Why would you want personal stats during a preseason game when it does not count.

He does not go out on his own from time to time because he wants personal stats. He does it for two reasons. 1) That is his personality- his natural tendency. 2) He is too confident. He thinks he can score at will on anyone

Much ado about nothing. Here is a guy who says stupid stuff. Everyone knows that. It has nothing to do with his play. I don't even believe it has anything to do with his whether or not he's going to run into the stands and pummel someone. I don't believe that will happen again.

So we're back to quotes in the media and his play on the court. Look at all of what he is saying last year, all while pouring in 24 ppg, 50% from the field, and 92% from the line, all while playing his usual stellar defense. Evidently, all of that while being fatigued from a record tour. Again, much ado about nothing.

His play on the court last night was expected. JO was out. It was his first game back. He's the best shooter among the starters now. He was pressing, trying to do too much. It's not to excuse his play, nor is it bad that Carlisle calls him out on it. However, it's nothing to worry about after a single preseason game.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I don't believe that. Why would you want personal stats during a preseason game when it does not count.

He does not go out on his own from time to time because he wants personal stats. He does it for two reasons. 1) That is his personality- his natural tendency. 2) He is too confident. He thinks he can score at will on anyone
    I said that is one of the possibilities. You don't have to believe it - but it's definitely an option.

Why would he care about personal stats in the first preseason game? Maybe because it's just that...the first preseason game. His first game back since the suspension. Gratned, the stats don't count in preseason, but they sure look good when ESPN is broadcasting how much of a "beast" you are coming back from your long suspension.

You raise another good point. He is too confident; he thinks he can score at will on anyone. This does have to do with stats, as I remember him saying numerous times in interviews "I could average a triple double in this league", etc. etc. blah, blah, blah.

Ugh...and I used to be one of the biggest Ronnie fans on here...what is happening to me?

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Bender hasn't really played an organized NBA game in about 3 years and he didn't have any headlines about his coach being "disappointed" in his efforts.

Dissapointed?????? he stayed upright, walked of the court on his own account, how could ANYONE be dissapointed, let alone the hact he played !
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!