Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Official NBA Fantasy Basketball Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official NBA Fantasy Basketball Discussion

Awesome...

now about some insider fantasy requests.... anyone able to post em...

http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/fba/front

some of them Eric KaraLocoBell Insiders woulden't go astay
    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Re: Official NBA Fantasy Basketball Discussion

Is there anybody who would not take KG with the #1 pick?

Duncan's minutes fell off a tad last year, and Shaq is always injury-prone. LeBron might be my #2, at least in the league scoring system where I play (gametime, basketball.sports.ws). Cleveland's improved depth might keep him from playing those 44 minute games he had last year, though.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).

Comment

Originally posted by pacertom
      Is there anybody who would not take KG with the #1 pick?

Duncan's minutes fell off a tad last year, and Shaq is always injury-prone. LeBron might be my #2, at least in the league scoring system where I play (gametime, basketball.sports.ws). Cleveland's improved depth might keep him from playing those 44 minute games he had last year, though.
      I hadn't gotten that far but before the knee came up I was at least considering Amare.

Extremely young, numbers went up a ton last year, back to his true position at PF, two-position player depending on your format and the Suns were minus Q and JJ meaning they'd need even more production from him.

Not sure I'd have decided that way but the thought had more than crossed my mind. TD gets consideration only because of two positions.
      The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Comment

Well I think KG's supporting team has dropped off so yeah it's a tough one

I'd Still go with Lebron as everyone says this is his year....MVP..

Lebron just because i think he'd get more Triples then KG....

Comment

Originally posted by btowncolt
          Vinny Del Negro would be my pick, but he's always been #1 in my heart.
          Dana Barros!!

Why Not Us ?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Slade
            Dana Barros!!
            Mischa Barton !!

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedKnick
              I hadn't gotten that far but before the knee came up I was at least considering Amare.

Extremely young, numbers went up a ton last year, back to his true position at PF, two-position player depending on your format and the Suns were minus Q and JJ meaning they'd need even more production from him.

Not sure I'd have decided that way but the thought had more than crossed my mind. TD gets consideration only because of two positions.

I did take Amare w/ my #1

Comment

Originally posted by jkimb950
                I did take Amare w/ my #1
                Ouch, My condolences do0d... thats gonna hurt right in the gonads...

on my fantasy board the owner says he wasn't gonna trade him for anything but an All Star.. wishfull thinking... but i mean this is the keeper league so it might pay for the future...

Thats a Good Question, What is Amare's Trade Value now... can you get something or just pray he comes back at the back end of the season with some Monster Games....

is he worth a Tayshaun Prince or an Allen Iverson...

Depends if you can cover him i suppose as to how cheap he'll go..

Comment

Originally posted by btowncolt
                  Vinny Del Negro would be my pick, but he's always been #1 in my heart.
                  Peanut Butter!!!!!
                  "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

Comment

Tell me how my new team looks, any suggestions

PG- Stephon Marbury
                    SG- Lebron James
                    SF- Pau Gasol
                    PF- Jermaine O'Neal
                    C- Kurt Thomas
                    G- Andre Miller
                    F- Mike Miller
                    G- Chauncey Billups
                    G- Micheal Redd
                    SF- Micheal Finley
                    SG- Eddie Jones
                    SF- Jalen Rose

This was all preranked, as I missed the live draft...sucks I know. I know i probably need to drop maybe Eddie Jones and pick up a big man.
                    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Comment

looking at my rankings, you have 7 players in the top 75 on my list.

I'd say that if your league has 10 teams, yours is OK but not great.
                      If there are 14 teams or more, your roster is pretty strong. Eddie Jones is most expendable. Finley, Rose, and Mike Miller are pretty ordinary and similar to one another. Of those 3, I personally like Miller best for consistency and minutes.
                      The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).

Comment

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/b...2=stateChanged

"Oct. 13, 2005, 6:24 PM
                        FBA '06: Top 100 ESPN Fantasy Games

1 LeBron James, Cle SG
                        2 Kevin Garnett, Min SF
                        3 Shawn Marion, Pho SF
                        4 Tim Duncan, SA PF
                        5 Dirk Nowitzki, Dal SF
                        6 Tracy McGrady, Hou SG
                        7 Kobe Bryant, LAL SG
                        8 Gilbert Arenas, Was PG
                        9 Dwyane Wade, Mia SG
                        10 Allen Iverson, Phi SG
                        11 Jermaine O'Neal, Ind PF
                        12 Stephon Marbury, NY PG
                        13 Paul Pierce, Bos SG
                        14 Shaquille O'Neal, Mia C
                        15 Elton Brand, LAC PF
                        16 Andrei Kirilenko, Uta SF
                        17 Steve Nash, Pho PG
                        18 Vince Carter, NJ SG
                        19 Ray Allen, Sea SG
                        20 Yao Ming, Hou C
                        21 Mike Bibby, Sac PG
                        22 Steve Francis, Orl PG
                        23 Jason Kidd, NJ PG
                        24 Chris Bosh, Tor PF
                        25 Baron Davis, GS PG
                        26 Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Cle C
                        27 Andre Miller, Den PG
                        28 Chauncey Billups, Det PG
                        29 Rashard Lewis, Sea SF
                        30 Drew Gooden, Cle SF
                        31 Larry Hughes, Cle PG
                        32 Emmanuel Ginobili, SA SG
                        33 Jason Richardson, GS SG
                        34 Jason Terry, Dal PG
                        35 Pau Gasol, Mem SF
                        36 Marcus Camby, Den C
                        37 Kirk Hinrich, Chi PG
                        38 Kyle Korver, Phi SF
                        39 Ron Artest, Ind SG
                        40 Michael Redd, Mil SG
                        41 Rafer Alston, Hou PG
                        42 Damon Stoudamire, Mem PG
                        43 Rasheed Wallace, Det PF
                        44 Joe Johnson, Atl SG
                        45 Tayshaun Prince, Det SF
                        46 Michael Finley, SA SG
                        47 Andre Iguodala, Phi SF
                        48 Predrag Stojakovic, Sac SF
                        49 Chris Webber, Phi PF
                        50 Kurt Thomas, Pho C
                        51 Quentin Richardson, NY SG
                        52 Ben Wallace, Det C
                        53 Jamaal Magloire, NO C
                        54 Bobby Simmons, Mil SF
                        55 Richard Jefferson, NJ SF
                        56 Zachary Randolph, Por PF
                        57 Damon Jones, Cle PG
                        58 Antawn Jamison, Was SF
                        59 Eddie Jones, Mem SG
                        60 Carlos Boozer, Uta C
                        61 Brad Miller, Sac C
                        62 Al Harrington, Atl PF
                        63 Tony Parker, SA PG
                        64 Dwight Howard, Orl PF
                        65 Emeka Okafor, Cha C
                        66 Jalen Rose, Tor SG
                        67 Jamal Crawford, NY PG
                        68 Grant Hill, Orl SF
                        69 Antoine Walker, Mia PF
                        70 Samuel Dalembert, Phi PF
                        71 Richard Hamilton, Det SG
                        72 Mike Miller, Mem SF
                        73 Jamaal Tinsley, Ind PG
                        74 Tyson Chandler, Chi SF
                        75 Corey Maggette, LAC SG
                        76 Chris Paul, NO PG
                        77 Andrew Bogut, Mil C
                        78 Udonis Haslem, Mia C
                        79 Ricky Davis, Bos SG
                        80 Mehmet Okur, Uta PF
                        81 Mike Dunleavy, GS SF
                        82 Deron Williams, Uta PG
                        83 Caron Butler, Was SF
                        84 Carmelo Anthony, Den SF
                        85 Kenyon Martin, Den PF
                        86 Raef LaFrentz, Bos C
                        87 P.J. Brown, NO PF
                        88 Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Sac PF
                        89 Josh Howard, Dal SF
                        90 Stromile Swift, Hou PF
                        91 Lamar Odom, LAL SF
                        92 Cuttino Mobley, LAC SG
                        93 Wally Szczerbiak, Min SG
                        94 Shane Battier, Mem SF
                        95 Luke Ridnour, Sea PG
                        96 Gary Payton, Mia PG
                        97 Brevin Knight, Cha PG
                        98 Jameer Nelson, Orl PG
                        99 Sam Cassell, LAC PG
                        100 Amare Stoudemire, Pho PF"
                        Here, everyone have a : on me

Comment

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/b...ory?id=2172731

"Sep. 26, 2005
                          Modified: Oct. 2, 2005
                          FBA: Preseason Looks

By Jason Langendorf of Scouts Inc.

Wait, you didn't honestly believe I could be contained by one sport, did you?

Don't automatically assume the football guy is some one-trick pony. Just ask the fellas down at Chicago's Eugene Field Park about the 6-5 point guard, and they'll tell you ... OK, on second thought, don't listen to a word those guys say. You'll just have to take my word for it: I got a basketball jones.

And believe me, I'm jonesing right now. The acrobatic playoffs stylings of Manu Ginobili seem like ancient history. The NBA draft was about as glamorous as laundry day at the Langendorf household, and it was a relatively slow offseason for trades and big-money free-agent signings. Truth is, I nearly wet myself reviewing statistics of the Rocky Mountain Revue. (Yes, I should get out more.)

But the moves still matter, especially to fantasy owners. Who woulda thunk guys like Charlotte C Primoz Brezec and Portland C Joel Przybilla -- and any other seven-foot Z-boys who have slipped my mind (C Zaza Pachulia notwithstanding) -- would play productive roles with new teams last season? And then there are the Eric Snows and Brent Barrys, who steal our hearts and sink like lead zeppelins. Hate those guys.

Determining whom to avoid can be just as important as figuring out whom to target, so here are the 10 most important offseason changes -- for better or worse -- fantasy players need to know:

F Antoine Walker and PG Jason Williams, Heat
                          This could be the ugliest mishmash of talent since the boys in Monty Python stopped making movies. The theory, I assume, is that Walker will thrive as a 3-point gunner working inside-out with C Shaquille O'Neal and that his ball skills will help keep the offense from bogging down in the half court. Williams is another long-range bomber who, I guess, can help create space in the paint for Shaq and, uh, lead the break. But with G/F James Posey and PG Gary Payton also on board, neither Walker nor Williams figures to get the minutes to put up enough of the good numbers (points, rebounds, 3s, assists) to offset the bad (turnovers, cruddy percentages). The biggest loser in the equation, I fear, is PF Udonis Haslem, who had a breakout 2004-05 but could lose the playing time he needs to rack up rebounds and make his strong shooting clips really count.

SG Larry Hughes, Cavaliers
                          Don't get me wrong: I like Hughes. Nice player. Good story. But his union with SF LeBron James could enter the Pippen-Barkley pantheon of bad pairings by January. New Cleveland GM Danny Ferry covered himself a bit by bringing in PG Damon Jones after the fact, but Hughes and James probably are too similar -- explosive slashers who are erratic shooters from the perimeter -- to share the same court without one of them taking a serious statistical hit. Jones is the team's only dangerous 3-point shooter, and neither C Zydrunas Ilgauskas nor PF Drew Gooden is a true inside player. So who will keep opponents honest when the Cavs try to isolate James or Hughes? Will they get in each other's way on the break? James is king in Cleveland, so Hughes' numbers are more likely to suffer. And because both players crave the ball in their hands and Jones isn't a great ball handler, turnovers will be a nuisance for both. One more thing: Hughes has played in more than 67 games in a season only once in his eight-year career.

F Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Kings
                          You could do worse than Abdur-Rahim as PF Chris Webber's replacement if you're Sacramento, but don't expect C-Webb-like numbers from the new guy. Abdur-Rahim doesn't block shots like Webber, and he doesn't have near the ball skills (career assist average: 2.8). Things turned out surprisingly well for him in Portland last year, and his numbers could even improve in an offense with a true point guard and better supporting players. And because SAR spends more time in the low post than Webber does, his presence could help boost G/F Peja Stojakovic's 3-point numbers back to their '03-04 heights.

G/F Joe Johnson, Hawks
                          Everyone get a good look at what happened to Kobe Bryant, a truly great player, in L.A. last year? Now imagine Johnson, merely a good player, in the same boat -- only one with more holes and a crew of sailors barely old enough to shave, let alone drink. Atlanta has been stockpiling long, athletic swingman types the last two years, a la Indiana. But unlike the Pacers, the Hawks don't have the veterans to usher in the new era slowly. It's just Johnson, F Al Harrington and, well, Zaza. You can bet Johnson will increase his scoring and 3s and perhaps his assists (the offense could run through him), which will be great in scoring leagues and some roto formats. But you might as well pencil him in for a 40 percent field-goal shooting clip and three-plus turnovers per -- as if Hawks fans (and fantasy owners) didn't get enough of Antoine Walker last year.

F/C Stromile Swift, Rockets
                          Swift has his problems -- he isn't very physical, doesn't shoot worth a damn and has trouble staying healthy -- but you can't deny that he puts up valuable roto numbers when he's on the floor. In 21.0 minutes a game over five years with the Grizzlies, Swift averaged 1.5 blocks, kept his turnovers down and shot well from the free-throw line for a big man. I'm a little troubled by his sagging rebounding numbers and field-goal clip, but another 8-10 minutes a game and working alongside C Yao Ming could make a world of a difference for Swift. If he qualifies at center in your league, he could pay big dividends as your No. 2.

G/F Bobby Simmons, Bucks
                          Simmons doesn't seem the type to rest on his laurels, but it wouldn't be the first time we've seen a contract-year guy blow up and, after getting in touch with his inner Trump, blow out with his new club. And even though I can't put my finger on it exactly, Milwaukee has a weird mix of talent that makes me worry. If Simmons can put up efficient numbers with the Clippers, maybe we shouldn't worry too much. But where are swingmen Desmond Mason and Jiri Welsch supposed to play, and will they mess with Simmons' minutes? Will key setup man PG T.J. Ford snap in half the first time PG Chauncey Billups posts him up? How long before C Andrew Bogut grows that porn-star mustache back? These aren't easy questions.

SG Bonzi Wells, Kings
                          Another Sacto addition who doesn't look great on paper but could turn into a fantasy success story. Wells has a history of burning up bridges practically before they've been built, and his attitude has affected his minutes at times in the past. But away from the 10-man rotation in Memphis and backcourt shuffling of Portland a few years back, he could (and probably is expected to) log about 35-plus minutes a game, which would be a career high. Considering Wells has averaged as many as 17.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.6 steals and has shot as well as 53.3 percent from the field and 77.8 percent from the line at various times in his NBA career, he could explode in a wide-open offense. At his position, only Wells' 3-pointers and turnovers are a little weak.

SG Cuttino Mobley, Clippers
                          The Kings obviously didn't love what Mobley gave them last year (mostly his defense), but in a 43-game tryout, he still put up some of the best numbers of his career. Think he isn't capable of the same, and maybe more, in La-La Land? Perhaps no team in the history of professional sports has generated more garbage-time stats for its constituents than the Clippers have. And because Mobley is this team's only legitimate sniper and PF Elton Brand and C Chris Kaman actually draw some attention inside, he could lead the league in 3s made and approach 20 points per game.

F/C Kwame Brown, Lakers
                          Trust no one who tells you he knows what Brown will do in a Lakers uniform. If I told you I had a clue, I'd be lying. But here's what we know about Brown: He withered in an awful environment early in his career in Washington, and the Wizards never seemed to nurture him and give him the sort of moral support and leeway any normal college-age kid needs. Brown's physical gifts are considerable, and his competition in L.A. amounts to C Chris Mihm and PF Slava Medvedenko. Perhaps no coach in the history of the game has been better qualified than Phil Jackson to coddle and coax the talent out of Brown, but ultimately it's up to an enigmatic 23-year-old whether he wants to be a player.

G Marko Jaric, Timberwolves
                          Jaric is one of those players who looks a lot better on a fantasy roster than in an NBA lineup. No respect for his game? Who cares. If you don't go after guys like this (PG Rafer Alston, SG Quentin Richardson and PF Vladimir Radmanovic, take a bow) in the middle and late rounds of your drafts, you're a knucklehead. Honestly, what I like least about Jaric is that he annually misses 20 or so games. His shooting percentages? Big whoop. Most NBA point guards today shoot in the low 40s from the floor, and I can live with Jaric's relatively clunky free-throw touch if he gets me six assists, 1-2 steals and a 3-pointer a game while keeping his turnovers low -- all of which he did last season. The Wolves have a lot fewer scorers than they had in the past, so Jaric could raise his scoring to 13-15 points per game."

Comment

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/b...ory?id=2179753

"Sep. 26, 2005
                            Modified: Oct. 3, 2005
                            FBA: 2006 Sleepers

By Jason Langendorf of Scouts Inc.

Like rainbows and Gary Coleman, sleepers are something everybody loves.

Yet even as we embrace them, we aren't sure what to make of them (also true of rainbows and ersatz Arnold Jackson, but now I'm only referring to the sleepers). Don't get hung up on the jargon. A fantasy sleeper, put simply, is any player who has value in a given league who exceeds generally accepted expectations. Lots of room for interpretation there, I know. But one person's sleeper is another's surefire starter and yet another's waiver-wire flotsam.

Just know that because leagues vary so drastically in depth and styles and categories scored, it's almost impossible to package any player beyond the game's elite in a way that translates to every fantasy owner. And if you abide by that logic (or what passes for it), you'll find some of the sleepers I've listed below to be useful and others mere curiosities. (Specifically, I'm writing to that group of Pacific Division-only 23-category keeper-league owners in Smelterville, Idaho, who undoubtedly will form a posse to hunt me down like the dog that I am for wasting their time with this column. Just relax. Perhaps I'll cover Zarko Cabarkapa and Smush Parker in a future column.)

G/F Josh Smith, Hawks
                            Smith is a statistical oddball, but in a good way. A skinny 6-9 swingman who has lacked the handle of a guard and the go-to move of an impact scorer, he nevertheless is capable of racking up points, rebounds and swats -- the last one being key. Smith, who ranked 12th in the league in blocks per 48 minutes (3.37) as a rookie, offers his owners a lot of flexibility at the power positions in roto leagues because he can help cover a tough category at a shooting guard or small forward slot. Inconsistency marred his play last season, but players with his size and athleticism don't come along often and he has more to give in the assists and 3s departments, maybe as soon as 2005-06. Sixteen points, eight boards, 2.5 assists, 2.5 blocks and a steal a game are attainable.

C Joel Przybilla, Trail Blazers
                            A career stiff who didn't come on until the second half last season in a forgotten NBA city, Przybilla has zero cachet (read: should come cheap). And at 7-1, with decent hands and a strong sense of his own limitations, he should have no trouble matching or bettering his per-game post-All-Star break numbers in the rebounds (9.7), blocks (3.4) and field-goal percentage (56.1) categories that compose the bulk of his value. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar he's not, but as Portland's only source of low-post scoring behind PF Zach Randolph, Przybilla could be a double-double machine and is legitimately capable of leading the league in blocks and field-goal shooting.

G/F Josh Howard, Mavericks
                            Howard is a do-it-all type whose surroundings in Dallas are both a blessing and a curse. He draws less attention from defenses and gets better playmaking help because of the Mavericks' superior talent, but Howard also suffers because SF Jerry Stackhouse, G/F Marquis Daniels and new addition G/SG Doug Christie are similar players who command playing time. At his best, Howard is an eight-category player, but to take the next step, he needs to earn a few extra minutes while refining his shooting touch (at the line and from the perimeter) and showing more consistency. Given his strong playoffs run, it isn't out of the question.

PG Luke Ridnour, SuperSonics
                            Shrimpy, pasty-faced Ridnour has built a fast following with his funkadelic game, but can he push his numbers into the fantasy-starter neighborhood this season? It won't help that wingmen Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis hog so many shot attempts, but Ridnour at least should absorb some of the minutes, scoring and assists of departed G Antonio Daniels. If Ridnour raises his shooting from the floor a few ticks (though 40.5 percent isn't awful for a point guard these days) and takes it to the rack more often (the better to exploit his 88.3 percent clip from the line), we'll really be on to something. Bonus: Folks in turnover leagues will love his efficiency with the ball (3.24-to-1 turnover-to-assist ratio in '04-05).

SF Mike Dunleavy, Warriors
                            Dunleavy put up only decent numbers last season, but all signs point to his moving up a notch or two on the statistical ladder. He has improved his bottom line in most categories in each of the last two seasons, and things really started to click for him in the second half of last season, specifically after the arrival of PG Baron Davis (when Dunleavy's shooting percentages took off). He's only 25, and he probably still is filling out his frame. Dunleavy never will be a banger, but if he adds another rebound and a couple of points to his scoring clip in '05-06, he'll be a top-50 player who comes at a top-100 price.

C Chris Kaman, Clippers
                            To the jaded, Kaman entered the league as just another token mid-major, NCAA tourney-starring, 7-foot white guy who would follow the Todd Fullers and Jim McIlvaines on the short track out of the NBA. But the open-minded saw Kaman's mobility, athleticism, decent jump shot and ability to go to either hand. He built on his rookie-year stats last season, increased his averages from the first to the second half, and in April averaged 17.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 4.3 blocks against San Antonio, Utah (a good defensive team) and Phoenix. Granted, it was April. Yes, they were Kaman's only three games in the month (a back injury bogged him down). But the progress is undeniable. Whether Kaman is ready for more minutes -- and whether, on a team with PG Sam Cassell, SG Cuttino Mobley, SF Corey Maggette and PF Elton Brand, he ever will see the ball on offense -- is less certain.

PF Al Jefferson, Celtics
                            Jefferson has the strength of a bull moose, but he also played defense like one as a rookie. Finishing ranked 16th in the league in rebounds per 48 minutes (14.2) and 48th in points per 48 (21.7), Jefferson showed obvious potential. But he got nowhere near that magical 48-minute figure because of his conditioning and propensity for fouls (8.9 per 48 minutes, fourth-highest in the league). He worked on his body over the summer and could be ready for 25-30 minutes a game (which Boston should be willing to give him). He won't deliver 3s or assists like some of the league's top, more dynamic big men, but Jefferson could produce like a poor man's Shaq (without the center eligibility) as soon as this season.

SG J.R. Smith, Hornets
                            Transplant Smith, a rookie last year, to the 2000-01 Utah Jazz squad, and you basically have SG DeShawn Stevenson. Scary, but true. The difference: Smith is a better athlete and has a sharper shooting touch than he showed last season. More important, New Orleans stunk last season, so Smith logged big minutes as the team unloaded talent at yard-sale prices and, uh, built for the future. On the bright side, Smith improved steadily as the season wore on and could develop into one of the league's better scorers if he builds up his body and discovers a midrange game. Better playmaking (hello, PG Chris Paul) and decent help inside should help 6-6 Smith shoot a higher percentage on 3s as a soph. Besides, who else is gonna score on that team?

PG Sebastian Telfair, Trail Blazers
                            I had serious doubts about a 6-0 high school point guard, especially one who happened to hail from New York and claim Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury as a cousin. How does anyone live up to that kind of hype? Well, Telfair made a nice go of it despite sitting behind PGs Damon Stoudamire and Nick Van Exel for much of the season and possessing virtually no jump shot. Telfair likely never will be a serious 3-point threat, but he has gotten stronger and clearly has a knack for finishing plays -- whether at the rim, at the line or putting a teammate in position for easy points. After averaging 12.5 points, 6.7 assists and 1.36 steals and shooting 45.3 percent from the floor in April, Telfair now is the Blazers' starter at the point.

PG Shaun Livingston, Clippers
                            Yet another straight-from-preps second-year player? So sue me. I can't help it if the league keeps drafting 'em -- especially if the boys keep proving they can ball. Livingston makes believers out of everyone who gets to see him in extensive action, but fantasy owners weren't among them: Because of injuries, the Ticonderoga-thin 182-pound rookie played only 30 games last season. Then again, when Livingston played, man, did he play. His 11.0 points, 4.4 rebounds and 7.4 assists over Los Angeles' last 10 games only scratched the surface of his ability. At 6-7, he fills passing lanes (steals potential!) and harrows shooters (blocks potential!), and he can get his own shot or knock down spot-up jumpers. Livingston's upside really knows no boundaries, though that skinny bod and Cassell are immediate obstacles."

Comment

Thanks for the Insider Posts Mate... Awesome stuff...

Comment

Working...
                              X