Thread: SOS from a digibetic!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default SOS from a digibetic!

Help! Help! I'm sort of a digibetic and I have a problem with my internet.

Somehow, I can't get access anymore to Google.com, hotmail or NBA.com, but I still can reach sites such as this or other discussion forums, anybody have an idea how I could solve this or atleast what could be going on?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Default Re: SOS from a digibetic!

Are you at work? Could be a content filtering issue.

Is it a new internet connection? Could be routing issue with your ISP

Or it could be a MTU issue:

A: If you have any or all of the following symptoms your MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) may be incorrect.

Can not access certain web sites or see particular frames within a website.

Web pages stall and/or eventually time out and fail to load.

Can not access web sites or sections of web sites that require a username and password (i.e. banking, stock quote, online ordering, etc).

Can not access or download from certain FTP sites.

Can not access certain servers or information while using a VPN client.

Can not access web based or POP based email or send/receive emails.

Can not access remote desktop applications or active directories.

Can not send/receive file transfers.

Important Notes:

One way to verify whether if it is an MTU problem is to try and access the application or website via dial up access. Since dial up uses a default MTU of 576 bytes you will not have the same problems as broadband. If you have problems with both broadband and dial up access then the problem is something else.

This ping test only verifies whether the packet is fragmented at the end points.
    Due to additional complications, VPNs require a different type of MTU test. Please refer to the VPN MTU Test.

Please reference the MTU troubleshooting article from Cisco for a brief overview of the MTU/PPPoE problem.

If you have a network with multiple PCs every computer should be set up with the same MTU. Additionally, some PCs may use several Network Adapters or a VPN client adapter on one PC so you must verify you are changing the Network Adapter associated with your broadband service or VPN client.

The built in PPPoE client for Windows XP uses an MTU that can not be easily changed. The MTU is set to 1480. For more information please reference this XP MTU article. This only applies if you are running the built in XP PPPoE client!

Finding the Correct MTU
    To find the correct MTU for your configuration you must run a simple DOS Ping test. You will simply send out ping requests and progressively lower your packet size until the packet no longer needs to be fragmented. Although this simple test is accurate for testing end points, users may find that a lower MTU may be better for their particular circumstances. Please reference the following steps:

The command for this ping test is ping www.dslreports.com -f -l xxxx.

There is a single space between each command.

"-l" is a lower case letter L, not the number one.

The last four numbers are the test packet size.

Step 1
    Open a DOS prompt screen by clicking on Start>Programs>MSDOS-PROMPT. You can also use the Run Command by clicking on Start>Run then type in "command" for Windows 95/98/ME or "cmd" for Windows 2000/XP.

Step 2
    At the DOS Prompt type in ping www.dslreports.com -f -l 1472 and hit Enter. Notice that the packet needs to be fragmented. (Figure 1)

Step 3
    Drop the test packet size down (10 or 12 bytes) and test again. Notice that the packet still needs to be fragmented. (Figure 2)

Step 4
    Drop the test packet size down more and test again until your reach a packet size that does not fragment. (Figure 3)

Step 5
    Once you have a test packet that is not fragmented increase your packet size in small increments and retest until you find the largest possible packet that doesn't fragment.

Step 6
    Take the maximum packet size from the ping test and add 28. You add 28 bytes because 20 bytes are reserved for the IP header and 8 bytes must be allocated for the ICMP Echo Request header. Remember: You must add 28 to your results from the ping test!

An example:
    1440 Max packet size from Ping Test
    + 28 IP and ICMP headers
    1468 Your optimum MTU Setting

Step 7
    You can dowload DrTCP here or find a similar registry editing application to change your MTU. An example of changing the MTU using DrTCP is shown below. (Figure 4)

Pictures by Andy Houtz

Step 8
    Important Note: There may be more than one network adapter showing in the pull down menu for your PC. You must make sure you change the MTU on the correct network adapter associated with your broadband connection or VPN client. You must also reboot your computer in order for the new MTU settings to take place. Additionally, if you have a network with more than one computer, all NICs, adapters, and router(s) must have the same MTU setting. Please reference the links below to learn how to change the MTU on some popular routers:

That's all I could find for you. I'd tell you to google it, but you can't.

It could also be spyware. Run ad-aware or something similar.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be using them tomorrow and see what I can get done. Again,thanks very much .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws