Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heywoode or anyone else with a TIVO

Sports Logo

Default Heywoode or anyone else with a TIVO

I have to be out of town tonight and will miss the game. If anyone could record it for me I would be very thankful. I have to get used to looking at the schedule before making plans again.

Default Re: Heywoode or anyone else with a TIVO

I've got a Tivo, but no way to get what I record over to the PC. When I was trying to capture games last season it wasn't working well. I will TRY to capture it directly to the PC, but I can tell you now I have about a 10% chance of it actually working.

I simply cannot do the ReplayTV service anymore. The deck is cumbersome (which means my wife hates it) and it is just too expensive to pay Directv for Tivo service, pay for the Sports pack to see the games in the first place, and then pay a third service to be able to record the games....

I will be GLAD to continue contributing in the way that I was last season. I have a good DSL connection that pans out to around 40k of bandwidth. I would be happy to use every bit of it.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I'm trying to record it on my PC tonight.

Why do you have to pay a monthly fee to Tivo anyway?????
    WHy isn't it just recording to a hard drive instead of tape like a vcr?

The Tivo service is subsription based. If you had cable tv and bought a Tivo unit from the Tivo company, you would pay Tivo.

I have DirecTV, who partners with Tivo, and I pay DTV a 2nd receiver fee (the deck I have is dual-tuner, plus I have a single, non-tivo receiver in my bedroom) and a Tivo user fee.

Just the way it works...

Hi all! I've been lurking around PD since June, and I decided to sign up since the season is coming up. (Actually when I first tried to sign up it wouldn't let me access this forum so it took me an extra 2 months to get here ).

Anyway, I'm living down at IU, and they have absolutely worthless TV stations, and I don't get Fox Sports Midwest, so I'm going to miss a lot of games this season.

If anyone can record the games and post them, I'd be incredibly happy! I watched every Pacers game for the past 2 years and I don't know what I'll do without my Pacers fix!!!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have Tivo, but no clue on how to record it to PC. If anybody would be willing to show me how, i'd do all the games.

The Tivo units sold by DirecTV are not capable of that kind of connection as far as I know (which isn't much!).

I think some of the units straight from the Tivo company can be joined to a network and the transfer takes place that way. You assign the Tivo deck an IP address just like you would a PC.

If you have a non-DirecTV Tivo deck, you might explore some of the settings and configuration menus on it and see if it addresses networking at all.

There is another Tivo-like product called ReplayTV, and it works the same way; assigned IP address to join a network. The high end decks can be programmed via the web, and the recorded programs can be transferred to other ReplayTV decks via the web also...

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do you have to pay a monthly fee to Tivo anyway?????
    WHy isn't it just recording to a hard drive instead of tape like a vcr?

Tivo makes their real money off subscriptions, not the units.

Orignally posted by Mordecaii
    Anyway, I'm living down at IU, and they have absolutely worthless TV stations, and I don't get Fox Sports Midwest, so I'm going to miss a lot of games this season
    I lived in the dorms last year here at IU and it was the worst thing ever since I did not get fox sports midwest. Fortunately this year I have the insight digital cable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Tivo makes their real money off subscriptions, not the units.
    Nobodies answered the question, WHY do we need to pay Tivo???
    You are recording TV just like with a VCR, only onto a hard drive instead of a tape. WHY do they get paid monthly ? And for WHAT??????????

so who's been nominated as the designated taper ??

as the law says

they get paid maintaince fees

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    Nobodies answered the question, WHY do we need to pay Tivo???
    You are recording TV just like with a VCR, only onto a hard drive instead of a tape. WHY do they get paid monthly ? And for WHAT??????????
    For the guide downloads, which enable you to do season passes, wish lists, etc. My modem on my old Tivo went out, and believe me, it's pretty damn worthless now.

Of course, with standalones, you can just pay a lifetime fee. Used to be $150, than $200, than $250. Don't know what it is now.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by tinsley#11
    I lived in the dorms last year here at IU and it was the worst thing ever since I did not get fox sports midwest. Fortunately this year I have the insight digital cable!!!
    So, you're gonna let me come over and watch the games on FSMW right?

Build your own. Get it for free. That's what I do.

Unfortunately, I don't get Pacers ball on local stations.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Directv is where I got the Tivo, DTV charges the fee. If I didn't pay the fee, I'm not sure if I could just hit record when I wanted to record something or not....Not gonna try.

To have access to the guide and programming capabilites, you must pay the fee. For me it is $5 extra a month for Tivo, $5 a month for an extra receiver, and $12 extra for the sports pack that lets me get half the Pacers games (roughly) and I get the other half on Indy's local channel 4. The local channels cost an extra $2 a month.

My base pack is $46, so $46 + $12 + $5 +$5 +$2 = $70 plus tax.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    To have access to the guide and programming capabilites, you must pay the fee.
    Not for me...
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Not for me...
    Next thing I know you'll be wearing $.01 jerseys......

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

I use a modded xbox with a 250gig HD as my DVR. No fees, just tvguide.com and cable internet.

Quote Originally Posted by t1hs0n
    I use a modded xbox with a 250gig HD as my DVR. No fees, just tvguide.com and cable internet.
    Okay, so transfer the game you Tivo'd tonight over to a PC, re-encode it, cut out the commercials and post it!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Not for me...

Okay, so transfer the game you Tivo'd tonight over to a PC, re-encode it, cut out the commercials and post it!

Thanks!

Thanks!
    Sorry, thought I made it clear. I'm in Cincinnati, and didn't get the game.

Enjoy your time at PD!

and $12 extra for the sports pack that lets me get half the Pacers games (roughly) and I get the other half on Indy's local channel 4.
    Don't know exactly where you live, but Grace is in Indy, and she gets FSMW without getting the Sports Pack. I think she also gets both Ohio versions, as well.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Don't know exactly where you live, but Grace is in Indy, and she gets FSMW without getting the Sports Pack. I think she also gets both Ohio versions, as well.
    I get FSMW, but it doesn't show the Pacers games....The games are almost always on one of the other FSN affiliate channels....It's like they recognize that I have the sports pack, so I'm entitled to Pacers games, so they stick the broadcast on a random channel and I have to find it!

Thanks for the input....I sure would like to find a little cheaper way to get them all....As was discussed in a different thread, when you add up the extra I spend for all the add-ons, I could almost just get LP and forget about it!

Quote Originally Posted by t1hs0n
    I have a modded xbox with a 160 gig HD.

How do i use it as a DVR? What software do I need to install?

Thanks