The forum brethren will be glad to know that Arkman and I hooked up at Philips Arena to watch the Pacers yesterday. (I looked for his post and didn't see it, so here I go.)
I live in Chattanooga two hours up the road and Arkman (Fletch F. Fletch) lives in Atlanta now, having moved from Indy a year ago.
From the live perspective, my observations:
- Tinsley seems to really be trying. He seems teachable, desiring to fit in, listening to coaches and assitant coaches, grimacing when he makes a bonehead mistake. I was encouraged.
- All three of our marquis players hit clutch shots down the stretch: JO, Artest, and, of course, Reggie's three at the end. These guys are money.
- This was great: At one point Stephen Jackson yelled, "Bull*****" after a foul was called. The ref ingnored it and then Reggie got in the ref's face adn threw a mini temper tantrum -- "you're gonna allow that -- how can you in good conscience not give him a T?" kind of thing. The ref sighed, shook his head sort of angrily and with frustration, and slowly made a little "T" sign with two fingers. Reggie held him accountable. It was beautiful.
- The guys look a lot bigger live. And, to me, they seem more disciplined and you notice how few mistakes are actually made in the larger scheme of things.
- Atlanta has enormous talent. Better coaching or something and they could be a contender.
- Pacers fans are everywhere. We had a bunch in our section behind the bench. When Reggie hit the three, we all went wild.
Finally, the joke, ultimately, is on Arkman and I. We paid 70 bucks for ticket a few weeks in advance. And they ended up going for a dollar.