Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IndyStar article: Harrison joins list of injured....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default IndyStar article: Harrison joins list of injured....

Harrison joins list of injured....Undiagnosed problem near ribs leaves center position slim

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

Scot Pollard likely would be the Indiana Pacers' starting center if the season opened today.

David Harrison, like Jeff Foster, is walking wounded. Harrison is dealing with a pain on his right side, near his ribs, that is limiting him to non-contact drills in practice.

"I went to the doctor, but they don't know what it is," Harrison said Saturday. "I wish I knew what's wrong with me."

Harrison said he first felt the pain several weeks ago, but it intensified recently. He was given medication by the doctor.

"I tried to push through the pain as much as I could, but I couldn't do it anymore," Harrison said. "They're keeping me away from contact stuff and I'm not doing much running. I'm only trying to do machine stuff as far as working out goes. I'm watching and learning from the sidelines, trying to take notes. I'll be back out there when it goes away."

Foster is recovering from off-season arthroscopic hip surgery.
    The Pacers play their first preseason game Tuesday at New Jersey. Jermaine O'Neal will likely play some center if Harrison and Foster aren't ready.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monitoring the calls

Last season the Pacers struggled to play through what they thought were questionable calls.
    Players often stayed down court questioning officials rather than getting back on defense.
    That's one reason officials have been used at drills the past couple of days.

"We've had a couple of team conversations about missed calls and how we need to play through it," O'Neal said. "I think coach Rick Carlisle is doing a great job of putting referees in practice situations so we can get a feel on how we're going to respond."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making strides

Rookie Danny Granger says the left knee injury that kept him out of summer league is fine.
    His biggest challenge is adjusting to the NBA style of play.

"The speed of the game is different (from college) and it's a lot more physical," Granger said. "Everybody is so much stronger."

Several Pacers have raved about Granger in the first week of camp. He already has been compared to Scottie Pippen, who won six NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls.

Granger, whose primary position is small forward, has been working with the first and second units in practice, which is an indication he might have a chance to crack the starting lineup. Carlisle said Friday he might bring Ron Artest off the bench.

"He's very solid for a rookie," Carlisle said.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

Copyright 2005 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well *****, that's all we need to hear 2 days before the preseason opener, hopefully it's nothing serious.

If anything, it gives Danny more minutes early in the preseason if we go with JO at C, and Ron at PF.

Also gives us a chance to see which Pollard is going to show up this year, and maybe see Bender a little more, with JO at center.

Default Re: IndyStar article: Harrison joins list of injured....

Every team has injuries in the preseason. it always happens.

I was hoping to see Harrison during the FanJam today. HHHHHHHHHHHHHH........................... damn it.

Yeah! I was looking forward to seeing him too!!!! Plus having Scot start...ehh..I'm not looking forward to that much.

We better not tell Soup cuz that's most of the reason why he wanted to go ta Fan Jam...

woman without a team

Yes, there are always injuries in the preseason, but considering they can't figure out what the hell is wrong with him it has me worried.

Yeah that's true. Unidentified injuries...

He probably got infected from all those stupid alien shows debuting nowadays. That is an extra terrestrial trying to come out his side.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

We better not tell Soup cuz that's most of the reason why he wanted to go ta Fan Jam...
    Yeah I don't feel quite as bad about missing it now.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Well, please for the love of God, not............

2004-2005: Part 2

"A new brand of suffering"
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Does every team also have articles proclaiming their good health just days before they start dribbling out the injury reports?

This isn't a new injury... just the first time we've been let in on it being a little more than 'nothing to worry about or deal with'.

IIRC this pain was mentioned in the other article and brushed aside while telling us how great he was doing with his knee and workout regimen.

How many days until the first leak of Bender's latest setback?

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Does every team also have articles proclaiming their good health just days before they start dribbling out the injury reports?

This isn't a new injury... just the first time we've been let in on it being a little more than 'nothing to worry about or deal with'.

IIRC this pain was mentioned in the other article and brushed aside while telling us how great he was doing with his knee and workout regimen.

-Bball
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

I'd feel better about things if they would tell us this stuff up front rather than a puff piece that either the Star and/or the team know is not all of the story.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

So could this make Samaki Walker a winner?

Should have kept that upper-body fat, David. It's protective.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Are we going to regret losing DD once again?
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Sheesh guys, it's just a little pain in his side. I'm sure the little bugger will wiggle it's way out of there in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal_Pacerfan
    Are we going to regret losing DD once again?
    My feeling is "yes". Of course if you put it in monetary terms and resource allocation then that is a different question.

IMHO, Detroit wanted DD as much, if not moreso, to keep him off the Pacers rather than for their own use or needs.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

We're always going to miss the productive DD, however that DD only lasts for a about 20 games nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Yeah I don't feel quite as bad about missing it now.
    thats good. I missed it too...

We're always going to miss the productive DD, however that DD only lasts for a about 20 games nowadays.
    Wait til March (his bday) he'll last 13 then.

But, theoretically, the Pacers wouldn't have been asking DD to be Superman and give them lots of minutes in lots of games. So it is debatable whether he'd be used up after "20 games" or even after a full season.

And if you did see him slowing, you'd have the ability to adjust his minutes via the Pacers having a more 'normal' roster this year (as opposed to last)... plus use of the new more liberal 'inactive list'.

Of course this is all true for the Pistons now... except starting isn't really in the equation with the Pistons.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    But, theoretically, the Pacers wouldn't have been asking DD to be Superman and give them lots of minutes in lots of games. So it is debatable whether he'd be used up after "20 games" or even after a full season.

And if you did see him slowing, you'd have the ability to adjust his minutes via the Pacers having a more 'normal' roster this year (as opposed to last)... plus use of the new more liberal 'inactive list'.

Of course this is all true for the Pistons now... except starting isn't really in the equation with the Pistons.

-Bball
    Well if he had been playing really limited minutes, then I don't see how we are really going to miss him. 10-14 less minutes of DD isn't going to break us.

Does this mean Samaki Walker is our starter at the beginning of the season
    :

Why Not Us ?

We've still got a ways to go in the preseason.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot
    So could this make Samaki Walker a winner?
    God I hope not. We let injuries influence our decision last year, and look where it got us.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!