Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if Bender really pans out at PF?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What if Bender really pans out at PF?

Okay, I know the potential danger in creating a thread with Bender's name in it. Nevertheless, (people should use the word nevertheless more... it's very regal sounding) I will attempt the impossible and try to ask a few serious questions that's been weighing on my mind for the past two weeks:

1. What if Jonathan Bender actually turns into back-up dynamo at PF? I'm talking Al Harrington type numbers with more blocks and better perimeter shooting. What will you think of him?

2. What if this is the year he finally stays healthy and productive the entire season? What will you think of him then?

3. In light of many of the negative thoughts and comments we've shared on Bender the past 5 seasons, how will you feel about him if he actually follows through on his potential and is a big-time contributor during the playoffs?

I'm not asking whether you think this will happen or not. That's been debated to death. :.

Let's assume that each of the afformentioned scenarios plays out. What would your reaction be? What kind of impact would it make on the team if any?

I've blasted Bender before in the past as well as 3/4s of the forum community. It's been fun and an annoyance all rolled up in one. What if those days are over and Bender actually starts living up to the hype?

My guess is he'd instantly become a fan favorite. He'd go from whipping boy to golden boy in the course of one season. But I'm curious to know what you guys think.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Default Re: What if Bender really pans out at PF?

I think the impact would be enormous, and would really help the Pacers team greatly. I agree with you NM. And post more often

Pacers are in need of a power forward who can play alongside J.O., someone who can score. Bender, Croshere or Granger will be given the opportunity to fill this void.

Harmonica

If the guy can give us 12 meaningful minutes a night, I'd be both pleased and shocked.

If he could play like he did the last 30 or so games of 03-04...., for an entire season, it would be a monumental acheivement at this point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he could play like he did in game 5 of the 2004 ECF, I'll be pleased.

Apology in advance for the low blow.

Wasn't that his last healthy game, btw?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    If the guy can give us 12 meaningful minutes a night, I'd be both pleased and shocked.
    Yep.

#1,2,3 Would make him MIP at least, if not 6th man award. People would be shouting his name at conseco.

Bender, Bender, Bender

<---
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Sports Logo

I would hope that Carlisle simply breaks him in for about 20 mpg max this season at the backup PF / SF spot....just to see if he can make it through the season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

If he could be our 12-15 minute a game insta-offense guy, I'd like that...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Correct

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure the hell not willing to GIVE Bender 20 mpg "just to see what he can do". Jehezius, he hasn't earned any special treatment, and such special treatment would only serve as a negative against team cohesiveness.

However, if he is even able to EARN 12-15 minutes a night, that is a step in the right direction. If he actually gets 12-15 minutes a night and is able to consistently make a positive contribution, then I'd be more than willing to seek him out (since I see him out and about a few times during the year) and apologize for some of the statements I've made here on the forum.

He. Won't.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace

1. What if Jonathan Bender actually turns into back-up dynamo at PF? I'm talking Al Harrington type numbers with more blocks and better perimeter shooting. What will you think of him?

2. What if this is the year he finally stays healthy and productive the entire season? What will you think of him then?

3. In light of many of the negative thoughts and comments we've shared on Bender the past 5 seasons, how will you feel about him if he actually follows through on his potential and is a big-time contributor during the playoffs?

I'm not asking whether you think this will happen or not. That's been debated to death. :.

Let's assume that each of the afformentioned scenarios plays out. What would your reaction be? What kind of impact would it make on the team if any?

I've blasted Bender before in the past as well as 3/4s of the forum community. It's been fun and an annoyance all rolled up in one. What if those days are over and Bender actually starts living up to the hype?
    I think a lot of us have been hard on him because I would guess we all think the same thing.

He's the missing ingredient for a title.

I really think it's that simple. Theoretically, he should be coming in for Jermaine and putting up the same type numbers, relative to his minutes.

I'm not hard on him cause I think he's a jerk, or lazy or whatever (as I do with some players.). I've been hard on him because he hasn't appeared to have the smarts for the NBA game. I've seen that clueless look far too many times in his eyes, but, I can forgive and forget if he has learned something. In theory, he should be a untility guy, of sorts, a few blocks, a little low post game, a three when available, and with those long arms, some key passes. I don't think we can, or should look to him as a spark scorer off the bench, nor to defensively stop someone , but rather, as a tradeoff to Jermaine as being the low post hub through which the Pacer wheel turns on offense. (Yeah, I said it! )

I don't think we're a title contender. I don't think we'll get past the second round. If Bender plays as I think he's capable, I would seriously rethink my stance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again and really put myself out there. This is going to be Bender's year. Quote me and throw it back in my face later this year if I'm wrong. But I won't be. He's simply too young to be this beat up physically and I have to think he'll heal up sometime. If nothing else, I would think the law of averages would dictate that he'd finally have a solid year. McDyess did. Carter did it. Danny Manning.

Well put question, nap.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll think about answering this when I see with my own eyes that he's actually healthy and available to play.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

It would be nice with his hops to see some nice dunks off the break with SARUNAS feeding him. That seem`s to be one of his specialty (Sarunas) and with BENDER (if healthy) running together on 2nd unit-hope to see alot of dunks

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

...as opposed to tinsley, who hasn't yeat learned how to throw a lob pass hugh enough for Bender's massive arms to reach?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech

I've said it before and I'll say it again and really put myself out there. This is going to be Bender's year. Quote me and throw it back in my face later this year if I'm wrong. But I won't be. He's simply too young to be this beat up physically and I have to think he'll heal up sometime. If nothing else, I would think the law of averages would dictate that he'd finally have a solid year. McDyess did. Carter did it. Danny Manning.

Well put question, nap.
    But you are comparing him with real basketball players and not people who think/thought they could get by on athletic talent alone.

I'm hard on Bender because I don't think he is a basketball player.... he's just a guy that could run and jump over people in HS.... and he is soft (which makes me question his ability to play PF).

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I'm hard on Bender because I don't think he is a basketball player.... he's just a guy that could run and jump over people in HS.... and he is soft (which makes me question his ability to play PF).

-Bball
    Yup. I've only been saying this for four years now (five? - when did NJ beat you in the 1st rd?) but Bender's top end even if he reaches his potential is as a career backup.

Great athlete. Mediocre basketball player (in NBA terms).

Should've spent these years in training as a high jumper.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Has Bender been a contributer and stepped up when he's had the chance? No. Is it his fault? It doesn't make the least bit of difference.

I've gladly beaten the Bender dead horse. But it's nothing personal. It's all business. But I'll be happy the moment he starts contributing. Why? because he'll be contributing to THE PACERS, baby. I'd even root for Shaq if he were helping get W's for the blue and gold.

Bender, Granger, Saras, etc. etc. all will get credit from me when the credit is due. Until then,

Even if Bender, by some miracle, gets onto the court, he has no clue how to play the game. That deer in the headlights look is always there. He can dunk the ball, and that's all I've seen him do. He has no clue how to play the game.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

If Bender managed to stay healthy for the whole season, we might have a 2nd unit that by itself could scrape into the last playoff spot in the East.

He might not have the highest bball iq out there, but in between his injuries he did show some flashes of improvement from deer in headlights to having a viable nba position.

If Bender pans out, then Bball eats Kstat's shoe, right?

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    If Bender pans out, then Bball eats Kstat's shoe, right?

After 6 years of waiting and wasting time and money on him exactly what would he have to do to "pan out"? Would it be 'worth it' for him just to be a 10 minute contributor? Would that be "panning out" or would that be a major disappointment?

I'm trying to figure out where the bar is for Bender now. 6 years is a long time to pay somebody to provide the team with vast nothingness in hopes of 'something' in the future. But how long do we wait and exactly what do some of you expect at the end of the rainbow?

The only ones to benefit from Bender's Pacer career are Bender, his agent, and Dyrek.

WYSIWYG

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

If he pans out...i'll say ABOUT DAMN TIME. We've waited 7 years or so, and traded away ANTONIO DAVIS, a very good player for us, for him, who we have waited on for 7 years, who we gave up Brad Miller (All-star) for.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope Bender stays healthy from now on. I believe in Bender but this camels back is about one straw away from breaking.