Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job Experience

sweabs

Default Re: Job Experience

So true - it's the big picture that counts.

I've heard way too many stories of people who got their degree, but didn't have the experience necessary to get into teachers college. Or, those who graduated teachers college but didn't have enough prior experience to get hired.

I've known I want to become a teacher since grade 6 - and worked towards achieving that goal since the age of 13. It's all about experience - you need to start early and look towards the big picture. I started out with babysitting, then moved on to coaching. Then moved onto summer camps. Now I have a supervisory job. Not to mention I've been volunteering my time in classrooms and local museums for 6 years now.

Heck, the city pays me close to minimum wage even though I've been working for them for 7 years...while I have friends laughing at me, working at factories during the summer making $25/hour. And volunteering at the museum sure isn't making me any money. But in the end, this is all going to pay off (and I still think I have the best job(s) in the world).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who pays for that?
    Since it is/was a federal loan, I can't remember which one, I guess we all do. I didn't get all of my loans reduced/forgiven, just one. The others we combined for a lower interest rate and are paying off.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    Since it is/was a federal loan, I can't remember which one, I guess we all do. I didn't get all of my loans reduced/forgiven, just one. The others we combined for a lower interest rate and are paying off.
    Yeah, can't say I really like that. No one's gonna forgive the debts I incurred investing in my career, which came out of my own pocket. And then on top of that, I have to pay for yours.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Having gone through the "just graduated and looked for a job" process rather recently, I'll say this:

A college degree means as much now as a high school diploma 20 years ago. It's nice to have, but everyone gets one and doesn't mean much,

Really, it depends on what the degree is and what type of work you are doing or want to do...

The program I am familliar with is $5,000 after a teacher has served five years in a low income (title 9) school. In some cases I believe lenders take part but I don't know if the feds pay them back. It is done mostly because the turnover is high for those schools.

I guess it is because teaching is consider alturistic, the government is the employeer and the client base, the children, suffer the most under the turnover.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    I guess it is because teaching is consider alturistic, the government is the employeer and the client base, the children, suffer the most under the turnover.
    This isn't directed at you, Arcadian, but at the idea of it:

I realized that it wouldn't make you like it anymore.

It is just the reality of it. Just like most parents don't want to send their children to LA schools teachers don't want to teach in them. It might not be the best way but there aren't a lot of solutions for lower income schools.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    My wife has a BS in Physics. Her student loans are already high so she doesn't want to take on any more to further advance her degree. There is absolutely zero chance of her getting a job in her field with only a BS. In order to do research, you need a PhD in Physics, not just a BS. In order for her to teach Physics at the University level she would need a Master's, and even then a PhD helps. She could get a teacher's certificate and teach at the High School level since she minored in Education. But a first year's teacher salary doesn't exactly pay off the student loans now does it? Her advisor made it seem like she'd have no trouble landing a job. She didn't find out until after she graduated that her advisor had assumed she would be getting more than a BS. She applied for a job at the Fermi National Laboratory in Chicago. It's basically a huge lab that does a lot of things realated to Physics and research. She was told that the only job she was qualified for there was a particle accelerator operator, and you can train a monkey to do that. That job also has a weird shift, like factory work, because the accelerator runs 24/7. She basically had to "settle" for a lab technician's job at a local lab, and really she even had trouble landing that. They kept telling her that her degree wasn't exactly what they were looking for. She finally had to literally beg the HR manager there to give her a shot. And even then the manager told her that in six months they would "re-evaluate" the situation and see if it's working out. Her six month date is rapidly approaching and she has literally worked like a slave in that time. She's done eveything they have asked, taken every training course they've thrown at her, and worked more overtime than should be allowed by law. The HR manager won't talk to her about her situation, which leads me to believe that they are going to take this opportunity to can her. In her case, unfortunately, getting her degree has served only her sense of pride and accomplishment, and not much else.

Everything she has gone through makes me thankful for my job. I didn't go to college, and I had to work in some crappy, low-paying positions to gain the experience necessary to get my job. It took me a while (7 years), but I'm where I want to be, I have no student loans, have good job security, and good potential to move up over the course of my career.

It's strange how it's worked out for both of us. If you were to examine our situations from the outside, you would come to the conclusion that she has the better job, and is the main breadwinner. I've seen wnough situations like ours to know though that it's not at all uncommon.
    thanks for sharing your story, travmil

i m a last year university physics student and i m a bit afraid the things that happened to your wife are going to happen to me as well

indeed, the word on the (belgian) physics street totally confirms what you re saying : if you really want to go on in physics research you either have to be a very, very gifted person or you have to be a more than average student AND work your *** off (that is not do much other things than physics). Neither of the cases can be applied to me : i m certainly not the new Einstein/Newton/... and i would like to do other things in my life than physics.

in belgium there something similar as a Phd and it s rather impossible to have a job related to physics research when you don t get that. so my thoughts regarding finding a decent job are still rather uncertain.

another i ve heard is that people who have studied physics/mathemathics sometimes get to work in a bank for they have been thought how to think logically. but that s mostly not what they expected to do of course...

wish your wife good luck in future job searches. there are certainly many of us (we re with 20 students that are graduating this year) that will be in the same situation as her

best regards and go pacers!,

Raskolnikov
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    The program I am familliar with is $5,000 after a teacher has served five years in a low income (title 9) school. In some cases I believe lenders take part but I don't know if the feds pay them back. It is done mostly because the turnover is high for those schools.

That isn't what I got, so that must be a state program. Mine took 3 years to complete and it went half, half, all. I was only about $1,000 of what I owe, so it wasn't close to everything.

I can understand Harmonica's not liking the idea of wanting to give an economic incentive to teachers. Why would we want to attract qualified and dedicated teachers to our poorest schools? We all know its much better to let the kids go nowhere and pay them 10 times as much in welfare payments for the rest of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    I just got booted from my secretarial temp position. I'd applied for the permanent position and didn't even get an *interview* because I didn't have enough experience. Heck, my resume didn't even get to my supervisor because Human Resources weeded it out for lack of experience.

They wanted someone with a high school diploma/GED and two years secretarial experience. They specifically stated "an equivalent combination of related education and experience will be considered." I have a bachelor's degree (in psychology) and one year experience. And yet I was weeded out.

Nevermind the fact that I'm doing the job well as we speak. Nevermind the fact that all the people I work for are satisfied with my performance (according to my supervisor). Nevermind the fact that one of the people I'm working for actually came down to my office on Friday to try to convince me to put in an application for this position because he and several other people were happy with my work. Nevermind that I told everyone that asked, including my supervisor, that I had applied for this position and wanted it.

I have a friggin' bachelor's degree and can't work as a secretary. Does that seem right to you?
    I just wanted to tell you that I was in the temp industry for awhile in Indy (Thank God I'm out!) and it was very difficult to find good secretarial people. If you had a heartbeat and showed up for work everyday you would have outdistanced about 95% of the people I saw walk through the door.

Sorry it worked out like it did, but it is better to get out of a foul situation at the beginning rather than hang around for awhile. Some companies just suck, ya' know?

Good Luck with your next opportunity!