View Poll Results: Should Reggie get a statue in front of Conseco?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 74.36%
  • No

40 25.64%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Should Reggie get a statue?

Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacesetter
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark, you are way more knowledgable about this than I am. I understand why you'd put Larry Brown, based on the strides we made as a team during his 3 seasons here, but because he left us before we completed the work I don't feel he deserves a statue or any other recognition but he was huge for us. I agree with you that Reggie shouldn't get a stand alone statue. I'd like to see a statue with Reggie and Donnie together depicting Reggie's signing. My case for Reggie is simple. I think his loyalty and consistency over 18 seasons set the precedent for all future Pacers. We also might not have had as much success without Reggie, and we may not have the interest we have now from young and old if it hadn't been for Reggie. Some have used MJ's example from Chicago, and MJ obviously deserved his statue, but he was drafted to a team in one of the largest markets in the country. Reggie came to a little cornfield town. Now Indy has gotten much bigger and is much more diversified. How much he had to do with that is incalculable, but it is apparent by the international flavor the Pacers have and the comments those folks have made about Reg that he had a significant impact on the fan following the Pacers enjoy. Donnie Walsh is the greatest All Star to come from the Pacers without ever donning a uniform. He's a no-brainer, so the two together would seem appropriate considering the tie they share. The round bronze plate in the center of the rotunda would look good if it was supplanted by a life sized depiction of Reggie and Donnie at Reggie's signing! JMO.

Yes basketball is a team game but, if you have a squad like Kobe i'm suprised they are in the playoff hunt. Shaq,,Shaq,,Shaq what has he done in Miami? Beside skip through the police training taking another citizens job that needs employment. Shaq hasn't done ***** in Miami except bring in a bunch of title seeking old guys that don't pass, and pray for a ring. Imagine if the heat didn't have Wade they would win practically no games. Kobe will have a Nba Championship in the next 5 years tops. As soon as he gets another half way decent player they will be there. Kobe has absolutely NO ONE to go to, I mean UCONN could probably come and beat the lakers if you take Kobe out. I agree though it is a team game but, Kobe was just as much part of those rings as does Shaq if not more. I bet Kobe gets another ring before Shaq does.

To answer the question though, I wouldn't mine Miller getting a statue he's what made the pacers what they are today. The ONLY disappointment I have had will Miller his entire carreer is I feel they forced him into retirement when he wasn't ready. The media retired Reggie and it is sad . I would think he would get a statue in Indy even with out a ring, a ring doesn't signifiy a Great its' how he held himself and his work ethic. Miller deserves it

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    My god.... will this thread never die?
    Just for you Beast let's see if I can kill it.

This discussion probably continues for those who did not have the opportunity to see Reggie PD threads from the past. So, for those new members this is the scoop.

There were legit (not rumor) discussions about three years ago between TBTB in the possibility of creating a Reggie statue. Rumor has it an actual model was made.....

Two years ago the rumors started heating up on the radio and in the papers that Reg was going to get a statue. Of course this was denied by TPTB and in fact this was true and false at the same time. True in that a final decision had not been made (one of the principal players was ill so things were put on the backburner), and false in basically denying there was anything to it.

As recently as last April the discussions were still taking place and a different Reggie model was on display at Conseco. The principal movers at that time were Rick Fuson and Kathy Jordan.

Who made the final decision I do not know, but at the end of June begining of July there was not enough support among TPTB for the Reg statue. Sounds pretty much like the debate that went on in this thread.

So the bottom line is, Reg will probably never get a statue here. There truely were serious discussions from the TPTB about it. One other fact, members of PD were the only individuals to get an actual glimpse of what was under consideration besides TPTB.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Michael Jordan has a statue and he gambles.

I'm glad to see you embrace the "innocent until proven guilty" theory.

Jordan never gambled on sports games.

-A member of the 1982 NCAA Champion North Carolina Tarheels
    -NBA Rookie of the Year (1985)
    -Five-time NBA Most Valuable Player (1987-88, 1990-91, 1991-92, 1995-96, 1997-98)
    -Ten-time All-NBA First Team selection (1986-87 to 1992-93, 1995-96 to 1997-98)
    -Selected in 1996 as one of the "50 Greatest Players in NBA History"
    -A member of six Chicago Bulls NBA championship teams (1990-91, 1991-92, 1992-93, 1995-96, 1996-97 and 1997-98)
    -Six-time NBA Finals Most Valuable Player
    -The 1987-88 NBA Defensive Player of the Year and record nine-time NBA All-Defensive First Team selection (1987-88 to 1992-93, 1995-96 to 1997-98)
    -14-time All-Star and Three-time All-Star MVP (1988, '96, '98)
    -A member of two U.S. Men's Basketball Olympic Gold Medal teams (1984, 1992)

OhMyGodHeFumbles

Hopefully, he isn`t gonna die for a long long time, and i don`t think that building statues of people who are still alive is a good idea.

So...
    ....No!