View Poll Results: Should Reggie get a statue in front of Conseco?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 74.36%
  • No

40 25.64%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should Reggie get a statue?

Sontayjuan

Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

well schucks....

I wonder what sasson and JO7 have to say about this...

unblock them for atleast an hour..
    AKA Sactolover05

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh really??

It just makes me mad, shame on you guys... Not was Reggie just one of the greatest SG Ever in NBA and the best Player EVER for 18 seasons for the Pacers, but the things he done for the Pacers Franchise, for the fans, for the people of Indiana on and off the court... and you still neglect him.... it almost makes me think "is it because he is black?"

So what, what did stockton win? Not a damn thing, sorry i don't care about 18 years of disappointments. How many people work a job for 20 years? Thousands of people, his job was to win a championship. And to throw out the race card on this topic is the most ignorant thing ever posted in the history of message boards. I'm black and i don't think he should get a statue......Why do i still respond to your posts??.....you are a trainwreck.

btown, I think are poor misinformed Swedish friend was making an attempt at a joke (ie: what Sass use to infer). Yes it definitely fell like a ton of bricks as it should.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313
    All,

While one can take either side of the Reggie staue debate and defend it with justifiable vigor, I would like to point something out for those of you practicing revisionist history.

Conseco Fieldhouse would be here with or without Reggie. The city was well aware that the NBA would not last here without it, and rather than lose the team and the "major league" status that goes with it, they opted to build the arena.

Reggie has done a myriad of things for this franchise, but building Conseco Fieldhouse was not one of them.

MJB
    MJB, far be it from me to disagree with you, but I am at least to a certain extent. Let's do this by taking Reggie out of the argument. I believe strongly that if the Pacers had not advanced beyond the 1st round of the playoffs in the '94 and '95 seasons, the city would not have built Conseco because the fan interest simply was not there.

Mark, most of the fans in this forum became Pacer fans while they watched the Pacers playoff runs in the mid to late 90's. And without those playoff runs the fan base would have been a lot smaller all these years.

From this point I make the leap that without Reggie the Pacers never would have won a playoff series during the mid 90's and therefore Regie built Conseco and essentally prevented the Pacers from leaving Indy. Of course you could make the argument that without Reggie the Pacers may have had another good shooting guard, and with Brown as coach and the other players they would have advanced. That is very logical and very possible.

However, the first part of my argument I believe is

Uncle Buck,

I believe your points are valid, but even if everything had unfolded in the manner you describe, it is my belief that the city wasn't about to let the Pacers leave town.

Would the fan base be les enthusistic had the Pacers not achieved the level of success they enjoyed in the '90's? Unquestionably. Was Reggie a big part of that, perhaps even the primary force behind it? That case can also be made. But it was always understood that as long as the Simons were willing to meet the city at something reasonably close to midstream on the issue of a new facility, the city would then do whatever was necessary to ensure the franchise remained in town, Reggie or no Reggie.

I understand your points. However, it will always be my belief that, whatever his contributions to the franchise (and there's no question that they're monumental), the fieldhouse would be there regardless of his presence.

My real point, though, can be condensed into one sentence: Those that think #31 should be honored with a statue for his contributions can make a very compelling case without diminishing their arguments be resorting to a theory that simply doesn't stand up to close scrutiny.

MJB

Tough argument both ways. Because of the Simons money and shared beliefs by city officials we have the best sporting venue in the nation. UB has pointed out without Reggie it's possible fan apathy could have been in full swing toward this franchise. Would the Simons or the city for that matter really care to build if Indiana had the same fan base like the Atlanta Hawks?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes. They would've needed to get their hands on more corporate $$$ from club seating, suites, etc. In fact, they would've needed a new facility even more.

The popularity boom from the 1990s allowed them to build not just a new gynmasium with more revenue-generating options, but a shrine to Indiana basketball.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Maybe a fitting tribute would be to place an autographed picture on the wall of the King Chef restaurant in Fishers right next to the one of mboyle1313 and The Mayor.......

And does that entitle the celebrity to free meals whenever they go in?......

MJB,

As always you make excellent points. Maybe I'm letting my emotions cloud my judgement, but I remember in 1994 when the Pacers beat the Magic to finally advance to the second round for the first time in their NBA history, It was much more than a playoff series win, it felt to me like the Indiana Pacers franchise had been saved right at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    MJB,

As always you make excellent points. Maybe I'm letting my emotions cloud my judgement, but I remember in 1994 when the Pacers beat the Magic to finally advance to the second round for the first time in their NBA history, It was much more than a playoff series win, it felt to me like the Indiana Pacers franchise had been saved right at that moment.
    So Reggie assisted, but Byron actually built the Fieldhouse?..........

3ptmiller

All,

Though it may be true that 3-pt Miller's coach taught him the nuances of basketball, it is also painfully clear that nobody bothered to instruct him/her on the proper use of the English language.

But I suppose such frivolous skills are superfluous when you take it to the rack five hours a day for thirteen years.

The Grammarian
    Sorry, if anybody else feels this way... but i thought everybody was welcome in here and for a long time i thought so... i know my English aint perfect but you understand right? Im here to talk basketball, if my grammar upsets you so much then i would be glad if you can correct me instead of making **** of me.... if you cant do anything of these then stop bothering me, put me on your ignore list... im sorry you feel this way... thank you.. bye bye

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Uncle Buck,

I believe your points are valid, but even if everything had unfolded in the manner you describe, it is my belief that the city wasn't about to let the Pacers leave town.

Would the fan base be les enthusistic had the Pacers not achieved the level of success they enjoyed in the '90's? Unquestionably. Was Reggie a big part of that, perhaps even the primary force behind it? That case can also be made. But it was always understood that as long as the Simons were willing to meet the city at something reasonably close to midstream on the issue of a new facility, the city would then do whatever was necessary to ensure the franchise remained in town, Reggie or no Reggie.

I understand your points. However, it will always be my belief that, whatever his contributions to the franchise (and there's no question that they're monumental), the fieldhouse would be there regardless of his presence.

My real point, though, can be condensed into one sentence: Those that think #31 should be honored with a statue for his contributions can make a very compelling case without diminishing their arguments be resorting to a theory that simply doesn't stand up to close scrutiny.

MJB
    There are some cold, hard facts.

Take away Reggie it is likely the Pacers would have been much less effective in the 90's. If the Pacers had not been a contender, the fan support would have been much less. If the fan support was much less, less money in the Pacers coffers....and less likely public officials would be willing to invest in a stadium. If no public support and no stadium, the team would be more likely to leave.

But in the end, we only have our opinion. No one knows what would have happened, of course.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still think it would've happened, either way. The public might've been more vocal about the use of public funds, and perhaps the Simons would've paid a larger percentage. But that's about it.

As long as the team didn't revert to a Sam Nassi-like performance, the city/ state was not going to let them leave. Evan Bayh, Goldsmith, Lugar, they were all fans of professional basketball in Indianapolis before the Pacers took off.

Just about every arena in the league was replaced during the 1990s, this was a phenonenon bigger than Reggie in the Hoosier state. This was the business of operating an NBA franchise at that time, period.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Conseco wouldn't be there without him. It was the house reggie built. Regardless of the miracles he performed on the court he should be recognized for that.

So what if the statue should be him hitting the 40Fter at the age of 36.

Would a David Harrison statue be too much to ask.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    A little.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Only on Thursdays.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

It's hard to decide whether it would be built or not, considering we can't know alternate history. Even though Reggie wouldn't have been there UncleBuck, we probably would have gotten better draft picks, and we could have drafted a very good player during that time. If that player was anywhere near the level of Reggie, there may have been playoff runs. And interest would have been there. It is for this reason that I think that the Fieldhouse still would have been built. Granted, we may not have been as good as we were with Reggie, but I don't think we'd be as bad off as we think. Who knows what other players may have been added through drafts or trades.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Pacesetter

Mark I still believe a bronze statue of Donnie and Reggie together depicting Reggie's signing would be awesome, but knowing you do NOT feel that a 'basketball player' is so deserving, what do you think about a bust of him, and start a Pacers hall of fame at conseco?

I think a Pacers hall of fame would be awsome.

Pacesetter,

I think a Pacer Hall of Fame in The Fieldhouse is a splendid idea, assuming you could find the space. There are many worthy candidates, which brings up another question.

If you started this Hall of Fame with an initial induction class of five ( a la the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown), who would you start with?

I would defer to those of you who have been here longer than I have when it comes to evaluating the oldtimers. But if I were asked to come up with an initial five, I would go with Slick, Mel Daniels, Roger Brown, Walsh, and Reggie.

MJB

I think if you throw Larry in with those five you would have a pretty good start.

Mark,

Are you going to be at the "FanJam"?

I wouldn't start with 5.

Maybe 2 and induct someone every other year.
    AKA Sactolover05