View Poll Results: Should Reggie get a statue in front of Conseco?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 74.36%
  • No

40 25.64%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should Reggie get a statue?

Pacesetter

Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All,

Though it may be true that 3-pt Miller's coach taught him the nuances of basketball, it is also painfully clear that nobody bothered to instruct him/her on the proper use of the English language.

But I suppose such frivolous skills are superfluous when you take it to the rack five hours a day for thirteen years.

The Grammarian
    I loving this game!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    I really don't see how anybody could be against it..............

I'm feelin the ideas .

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about one of Reggie doing the "thinking man"?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, this thread took a really fun turn.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So if we make Reggie a statue, then JO and Ronnie win 2 rings, what do we do then? I truly love Reggie for the player he was, but he didn't win a ring and you can't give a guy a statue who didn't win a ring.

Pacesetter

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan
    So if we make Reggie a statue, then JO and Ronnie win 2 rings, what do we do then? I truly love Reggie for the player he was, but he didn't win a ring and you can't give a guy a statue who didn't win a ring.
    I wonder if the Lakers have broke ground on that new Rick Fox statue yet?

I don't feel like two rings would equal what Reggie gave us for 18 years, but I can see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacesetter
    I wonder if the Lakers have broke ground on that new Rick Fox statue yet?
    No, but you did just cause some Pacer fans to break wind in his honor...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    No, but you did just cause some Pacer fans to break wind in his honor...

-Bball
    Sweet new avatar!.....

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    Sweet new avatar!.....
    Thanks!!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

At Turner Field in Atlanta, they have statues of each of the players whose numbers have been retired, as well as a couple of others for players who were especially loved but didn't necessarily have the stats to deserve having their number retired.

The statue represents how the city feels about the player, not necessarily how the player performed.

Conseco is a big place, and I think there are plenty of spots where a life-size, small pedestal statue would fit well.

If I had my druthers, there would be statues of every player whose number was retired - if nothing else so that future fans can see more than just a picture.

Imagine a statue of Slick rising from the bench, or of Rajah going up for a shot.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    At Turner Field in Atlanta, they have statues of each of the players whose numbers have been retired
    The Tigers do too.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    If they put up a statue of Larry Brown I'll never go to Conseco again.

The only reason I vote "yes" on the Reggie statue is because as far as I'm concerned Conseco was built because of him so either we change the name to Reggie Miller Fieldhouse or we put up a statue. Since someone has to pay for the naming rights I think it's probably cheaper to put up a statue.
    This is the reason that there are statues of Bagwell and Biggio in front of Minute Maid Park. They are still active players that haven't won anything, but they are the main reasons it was built (though I'm not saying that I agree with them having statues).

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    I said no because its a tad pretentious for Indiana. Hang his number and set up a display to honor him inside the arena.
    I agree that it would be a little pretentious if they had a statue outside the arena. If they wanted to build a statue and place it somewhere inside the concourse, I think that'd be okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    The statue represents how the city feels about the player, not necessarily how the player performed.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    No.. Jordan didnt deliver six championships... does 30 ppg and clutchness and teamleadership mean that you are always responsible to deliver a championship? Look at Allen Iverson and do u see him with a ring? Look at Kobe Bryant alone.. do u see him geting anywhere without shaq? This is a team game...

Sure Jordan was good, probably the best ever.. but no single basketball player can make a Team WIN, but he can make them slightly better... Bulls team was carried by 5 starters who was All-Stars and probably the best bench players ever (Toni Kukoc etc.) and with the best Coach ever and franchise it cant be that hard to win a championship... Even when Phil Jackson wanted to quit, Jordan was threating to retire... Even when Scottie Pippen wanted to change team, Jordan again was threating to retire / quit / change team...

What im trying to say is that Reggie ALWAYS stayed there, all his Coaches came and left, all his teammates came and left.. He never complained, He always listened to the coach, He never was a Ballhoger, he STILL stayed there and tryed to do the Impossible thing and damn it was close and fun to watch.. He build the Pacers, A true Professionall, He ALWAYS referred to younger players and taught them everything... Look at Jermaine Oneal, even tho Reggie could average 20+ ppg he instead helped Jermaine to become what he is today... We all thought Reggie was old and could not play anymore, but no.. he was just building these players.. and when he Left today, he left the ULTIMATE Team who is gona win the 2006 Championship..

This is the kind of people that diserve a Statue!!

(sorry for weird grammar! )
    LMAO, Jordan was the reason why the Bulls got Championship banners in The United Center. Dont get me wrong, i love Reggie, but hes not even in the same category as Michael Jordan.

Magic Rat has changed my mind if the statue is a classical Greek style I think it will add class to the organization. We can teach children about Pacer history and the birds and the bees.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    I don't know about a statue, but IMO the most important individuals in the history of the franchise are:

1a. Slick - totally ignoring his coaching career and his work in the broadcast booth, the telethon was his idea, and it kept the Pacers in Indy.

1b. Donnie - a shrewd GM, he's done a pretty remarkable job selecting players and in selecting coaches.

3. Reggie - joined the club when it was still losing and eventually turned it into a perrenial winner, having a pretty decent career along the way.

A statue, maybe not. But I could certainly go along with a new mural somewhere in the lobby.
    I agree with the premise of your argument but I do not agree with the names on there. Make a Pacers HOF and include statues of all of the retired individuals (Slick, Raja, Mel, Big Mac, and soon to be Reggie). Maybe put the statues (bronze possibly) throughout the Fieldhouse on the lower concourse. Possibly make a Pacers frozen great moments on the upper level using bronze (smaller) statues. That would be really cool in my opinion.

3ptmiller

Sorry guys, i just LOVE Reggie this much.. The point is, just give the man a damn statue! 62 (yes) vs 21 (noes)... So go back where you came from Reggie haters!

3ptmiller

Oh really??

It just makes me mad, shame on you guys... Not was Reggie just one of the greatest SG Ever in NBA and the best Player EVER for 18 seasons for the Pacers, but the things he done for the Pacers Franchise, for the fans, for the people of Indiana on and off the court... and you still neglect him.... it almost makes me think "is it because he is black?"

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Reggie haters??

Get a clue.

He's got a Bentley, he's going to have his jersey retired soon. He'll be in Springfield, MA in five years. Chill out - he's getting plenty of recognition for a guy with zero NBA championships, zero 2nd-team or higher all-NBA selections, etc.

I'd rather talk about a statue to honor hometown hero Oscar Robertson, who is still, IMO, the best guard to ever play the game.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Thanks, but save the sarcastic bull**** for someone else.

I was a balla, I coach, and I am in law classes to become a agent.

Maybe you should re-read my post and not put words into my mouth and then get back to me. on second though, dont waste my time.....

Yeah, no bull!
    You need a hug!

Sontayjuan

i voted yes....

in my eyes reggie built conseco from the ground up, it wouldnt be there if he wasnt here, so why not put his likeness out front to remind everyone who's house it is

I say he gets a statue.

Reggie has done so many things for this city and franchise, there is no way to capture it all. If we had drafted Steve Alford instead of Reggie, the Pacers (and this board) would not exist. Reggie personified loyalty, saved this franchise from extinction and almost single handedly brought the Pacers into the upper echelons of the league.

All,

While one can take either side of the Reggie staue debate and defend it with justifiable vigor, I would like to point something out for those of you practicing revisionist history.

Conseco Fieldhouse would be here with or without Reggie. The city was well aware that the NBA would not last here without it, and rather than lose the team and the "major league" status that goes with it, they opted to build the arena.

Reggie has done a myriad of things for this franchise, but building Conseco Fieldhouse was not one of them.

MJB