View Poll Results: Should Reggie get a statue in front of Conseco?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    116 74.36%
  • No

    40 25.64%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 179

Thread: Should Reggie get a statue?

  1. #76
    Pacesetter
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All,

    Though it may be true that 3-pt Miller's coach taught him the nuances of basketball, it is also painfully clear that nobody bothered to instruct him/her on the proper use of the English language.

    But I suppose such frivolous skills are superfluous when you take it to the rack five hours a day for thirteen years.

    The Grammarian
    I loving this game!

  2. #77
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't see how anybody could be against it..............

    I'm feelin the ideas .

  3. #78
    Member Pacers#1Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    How about one of Reggie doing the "thinking man"?

  4. #79
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Wow, this thread took a really fun turn.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  5. #80
    Member circlecitysportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    579
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    So if we make Reggie a statue, then JO and Ronnie win 2 rings, what do we do then? I truly love Reggie for the player he was, but he didn't win a ring and you can't give a guy a statue who didn't win a ring.

  6. #81
    Pacesetter
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if we make Reggie a statue, then JO and Ronnie win 2 rings, what do we do then? I truly love Reggie for the player he was, but he didn't win a ring and you can't give a guy a statue who didn't win a ring.
    I wonder if the Lakers have broke ground on that new Rick Fox statue yet?

  7. #82
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if we make Reggie a statue, then JO and Ronnie win 2 rings, what do we do then? I truly love Reggie for the player he was, but he didn't win a ring and you can't give a guy a statue who didn't win a ring.
    I don't feel like two rings would equal what Reggie gave us for 18 years, but I can see your point.

  8. #83
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,927

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacesetter
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if the Lakers have broke ground on that new Rick Fox statue yet?
    No, but you did just cause some Pacer fans to break wind in his honor...

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  9. #84
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,813

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, but you did just cause some Pacer fans to break wind in his honor...

    -Bball
    Sweet new avatar!.....

  10. #85
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,927

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sweet new avatar!.....
    Thanks!!

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  11. #86
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,463

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    At Turner Field in Atlanta, they have statues of each of the players whose numbers have been retired, as well as a couple of others for players who were especially loved but didn't necessarily have the stats to deserve having their number retired.

    The statue represents how the city feels about the player, not necessarily how the player performed.

    Conseco is a big place, and I think there are plenty of spots where a life-size, small pedestal statue would fit well.

    If I had my druthers, there would be statues of every player whose number was retired - if nothing else so that future fans can see more than just a picture.

    Imagine a statue of Slick rising from the bench, or of Rajah going up for a shot.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  12. #87
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At Turner Field in Atlanta, they have statues of each of the players whose numbers have been retired
    The Tigers do too.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  13. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    503

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they put up a statue of Larry Brown I'll never go to Conseco again.

    The only reason I vote "yes" on the Reggie statue is because as far as I'm concerned Conseco was built because of him so either we change the name to Reggie Miller Fieldhouse or we put up a statue. Since someone has to pay for the naming rights I think it's probably cheaper to put up a statue.
    This is the reason that there are statues of Bagwell and Biggio in front of Minute Maid Park. They are still active players that haven't won anything, but they are the main reasons it was built (though I'm not saying that I agree with them having statues).

  14. #89
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,620

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said no because its a tad pretentious for Indiana. Hang his number and set up a display to honor him inside the arena.
    I agree that it would be a little pretentious if they had a statue outside the arena. If they wanted to build a statue and place it somewhere inside the concourse, I think that'd be okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  15. #90
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The statue represents how the city feels about the player, not necessarily how the player performed.
    Exactly.

  16. #91
    Member TheHotShot31's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.. Jordan didnt deliver six championships... does 30 ppg and clutchness and teamleadership mean that you are always responsible to deliver a championship? Look at Allen Iverson and do u see him with a ring? Look at Kobe Bryant alone.. do u see him geting anywhere without shaq? This is a team game...

    Sure Jordan was good, probably the best ever.. but no single basketball player can make a Team WIN, but he can make them slightly better... Bulls team was carried by 5 starters who was All-Stars and probably the best bench players ever (Toni Kukoc etc.) and with the best Coach ever and franchise it cant be that hard to win a championship... Even when Phil Jackson wanted to quit, Jordan was threating to retire... Even when Scottie Pippen wanted to change team, Jordan again was threating to retire / quit / change team...

    What im trying to say is that Reggie ALWAYS stayed there, all his Coaches came and left, all his teammates came and left.. He never complained, He always listened to the coach, He never was a Ballhoger, he STILL stayed there and tryed to do the Impossible thing and damn it was close and fun to watch.. He build the Pacers, A true Professionall, He ALWAYS referred to younger players and taught them everything... Look at Jermaine Oneal, even tho Reggie could average 20+ ppg he instead helped Jermaine to become what he is today... We all thought Reggie was old and could not play anymore, but no.. he was just building these players.. and when he Left today, he left the ULTIMATE Team who is gona win the 2006 Championship..

    This is the kind of people that diserve a Statue!!

    (sorry for weird grammar! )
    LMAO, Jordan was the reason why the Bulls got Championship banners in The United Center. Dont get me wrong, i love Reggie, but hes not even in the same category as Michael Jordan.

  17. #92

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Magic Rat has changed my mind if the statue is a classical Greek style I think it will add class to the organization. We can teach children about Pacer history and the birds and the bees.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  18. #93
    Member BigMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Westfield, IN
    Posts
    905

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about a statue, but IMO the most important individuals in the history of the franchise are:

    1a. Slick - totally ignoring his coaching career and his work in the broadcast booth, the telethon was his idea, and it kept the Pacers in Indy.

    1b. Donnie - a shrewd GM, he's done a pretty remarkable job selecting players and in selecting coaches.

    3. Reggie - joined the club when it was still losing and eventually turned it into a perrenial winner, having a pretty decent career along the way.

    A statue, maybe not. But I could certainly go along with a new mural somewhere in the lobby.
    I agree with the premise of your argument but I do not agree with the names on there. Make a Pacers HOF and include statues of all of the retired individuals (Slick, Raja, Mel, Big Mac, and soon to be Reggie). Maybe put the statues (bronze possibly) throughout the Fieldhouse on the lower concourse. Possibly make a Pacers frozen great moments on the upper level using bronze (smaller) statues. That would be really cool in my opinion.

  19. #94
    3ptmiller
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Sorry guys, i just LOVE Reggie this much.. The point is, just give the man a damn statue! 62 (yes) vs 21 (noes)... So go back where you came from Reggie haters!

  20. #95
    3ptmiller
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if we make Reggie a statue, then JO and Ronnie win 2 rings, what do we do then? I truly love Reggie for the player he was, but he didn't win a ring and you can't give a guy a statue who didn't win a ring.
    Oh really??


    It just makes me mad, shame on you guys... Not was Reggie just one of the greatest SG Ever in NBA and the best Player EVER for 18 seasons for the Pacers, but the things he done for the Pacers Franchise, for the fans, for the people of Indiana on and off the court... and you still neglect him.... it almost makes me think "is it because he is black?"

  21. #96
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Reggie haters??

    Get a clue.

    He's got a Bentley, he's going to have his jersey retired soon. He'll be in Springfield, MA in five years. Chill out - he's getting plenty of recognition for a guy with zero NBA championships, zero 2nd-team or higher all-NBA selections, etc.

    I'd rather talk about a statue to honor hometown hero Oscar Robertson, who is still, IMO, the best guard to ever play the game.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  22. #97
    3ptmiller
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, but save the sarcastic bull**** for someone else.

    I was a balla, I coach, and I am in law classes to become a agent.

    Maybe you should re-read my post and not put words into my mouth and then get back to me. on second though, dont waste my time.....

    Yeah, no bull!
    You need a hug!

  23. #98
    Sontayjuan
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    i voted yes....

    in my eyes reggie built conseco from the ground up, it wouldnt be there if he wasnt here, so why not put his likeness out front to remind everyone who's house it is

  24. #99
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,994

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    I say he gets a statue.

    Reggie has done so many things for this city and franchise, there is no way to capture it all. If we had drafted Steve Alford instead of Reggie, the Pacers (and this board) would not exist. Reggie personified loyalty, saved this franchise from extinction and almost single handedly brought the Pacers into the upper echelons of the league.

  25. #100

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    All,

    While one can take either side of the Reggie staue debate and defend it with justifiable vigor, I would like to point something out for those of you practicing revisionist history.

    Conseco Fieldhouse would be here with or without Reggie. The city was well aware that the NBA would not last here without it, and rather than lose the team and the "major league" status that goes with it, they opted to build the arena.

    Reggie has done a myriad of things for this franchise, but building Conseco Fieldhouse was not one of them.

    MJB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •