View Poll Results: Should Reggie get a statue in front of Conseco?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    116 74.36%
  • No

    40 25.64%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 179

Thread: Should Reggie get a statue?

  1. #26
    Member Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Scottsburg, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,349

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    I think Reggie should get a statue.

    For a while they had that HUGE poster outside hanging of him. You could see that a million miles away.

    A statue wouldn't be that bad. He deserves it. COME ON GUYS!!!!!
    AKA Sactolover05

  2. #27

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Pacesetter,

    I didn't mean to impy that I though Larry should have a statue quite the contrary. Perhaps I didn't make my point as clearly as I had hoped.

    It is my view that no sports figure is worthy of a statue. I feel such an honor should be given extremely sparingly and afforded only those with an impact on areas of greater consequence than sports.

    As I opined earlier, I think hanging a player's number (or, as in Slick's case, a won-lost record) from the rafters is a great tribute and one that Reggie is very deserving of.

    In a nutshell, I think honoring an athlete with a statue is over the top, though I'm not indicating (impicitly or otherwise) that Reggie is not one of the top three or four figures in Pacer history.

    But he's just a basketball player.

    MJB

    MJB

  3. #28
    Pacesetter
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Ok, I understand better now. You've got a point, it's not like their Winston Churchill or something!

  4. #29

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    A statue of a sports figure is wierd to me. (Statues as a whole are a little creepy especially lifesized marble statues.)

    Is the arguement that Reggie has done so much more for the franchise than Brown, Daniels, Slick and McGinnis that we need to do something extra for him? If so I disagree.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  5. #30
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,008

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Peck and Mboyle have convinced me I should've voted 'no'. It's amazing what a little thought on the subject will do rather than a snap answer....

    That, and I'm pretty sure a statue is in play already anyway.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  6. #31
    3ptmiller
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Ah comon people! Statues like this are very fine symbols... Especially if it was a Reggie statue. A symbol of profesionalism, loyalty, heart, work ethics and not mentioning being the best Pacer ever and the one of the most important persons in Pacers franchise thru almost 20 years... And when Pacers players walk thru that door everyday they will look up to this statue and get influenced everyday to follow that good example of a Basketballplayer (one of the best examples).. Fans will look up and remember all the memories!

  7. #32

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    No statue!

    Had he done what he did, and also delivered multiple championships...sure. As it stands, not only does that player have to be far and above the best player in the history of your franchise, he also has to be at least the most dominant player of his era, and arguably in the top 5 of all time to warrant a statue.

    Retire his number, and if you must, name a street near Conseco after him or something. But he doesn't need (or I assume want) a statue in front of Conseco Fieldhouse.

    As an aside, what happens if JO brings 2 or 3 banners to Indy within the next 10 years? Do we tear down the Reggie statue to erect the JO statue? Do we have to put up a new statue any time a player becomes the best in franchise history? Jordan is pretty safe in his statuehood because he delivered 6 titles with a mediocre team, completely dominated his era, and transcended the game to such a point that when you said, "Michael", everyone knew you were talking about MJ. The Pacers have never had a guy like that, and until we do, we've got no business talking about a statue.

  8. #33
    3ptmiller
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    I just cant believe that nobody agrees with me?

    "we never had Michael".. "we never had a player player like that".. "MJ is the only one"... "we never had.... bla bla bla...
    You had Reggie!! One of the best shooting guard in NBA History and the Pacers best player ever... The best pure Shooter ever! One of the best clutch players ever! Sure there will be better players in Pacers... but there will never be another good player like this in Pacers and stay for 18 seasons again in lifetime!! You know how rare that is? Thats soooo rare that only 2-3 Players in NBA History did it... And how can you Redevelope a Franchise when REGGIE is the one who did it already?? Is that enough stats for you?? Or do you want championships aswell?? All you think about is Stats.... listen to you guys!

    Excuse me but this is a TEAM Game, why do people take example JO as the person to be pointed as the reason if the pacers win a championship??? Just because he is the topscorer? What about Ron Artest who scores as much or even more than him? What about that Ronnie steals all the balls / blocks all the balls? What about Tinsley / Sarunas assists that makes it Possible for JO to take that open Shot? What about Rick Carlisle who is the Brain behind all this? What about guys like Foster who grabs all their Missed shots?? Doesnt that affect a game?? Should the WHOLE damn team have statues then?

    Its so wrong and not fair to have a damn Statue of a single player to be pointed out as the reason to their success!! A statue to prove what player accomplished the most... thats sick!

    Thats not even the reason why Jordans statue is up there, its not because "He was the reason why they won so many championships"... If its up there because of this then i will spit at it if i see it.

    No my friend, Jordan was a Hero in Chicago like Reggie is in Indiana, he did as much off court as in the basketball court as Reggie did in Indiana... Jordan was the most important player in their Franchise and their best player, like Reggie is in Indiana... Jordan was the best example of profesionalism, loyalty, heart, work ethics, just like Reggie... AND THIS IS WHAT SHOULD INFLUENCE PLAYERS WHEN THEY WALK INTO A BASKETBALL ARENA...

  9. #34
    Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,389

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Bobble-heads...? Agreed!

    I also must agree that statues are used too much... or at least on the wrong people. But if one of Reggie were placed in front of (or inside of) Conseco, It would be entirely appropriate. If it were done right, it would represent the many years he spent on and off the court. And inspire a little fan spirit...

    I know where everyone is coming from... but with so many ads, banners, and other crap hanging from the ceiling what would make a jersey stick out? WE would all notice it... but it doesn't seem as special as something that could be "eternal". He needs more than a few pictures in a case. He needs everything mentioned in this thread and more. Had he left, we never would've gotten some of the players and coaches (like Brown) that we did...

    I don't know... JMO.

  10. #35
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    I voted YES although after reading the posts..ehhh...ummmm...I still think he should get a statue.

  11. #36
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,045

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Should Reggie get a statue?

    Talk of a statue before the release of his movie 'Beautiful Ohio' is way premature!

  12. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted no even though I already know they are working on a statue.
    Peck my friend the key word here is WERE, or at least the thought process is definitely on hold. The artist they were in contact with went on to a different project after things were put on hold at the admin level.

    http://www.ccvmc.org/flyer-back.pdf

    http://www.tribstar.com/articles/200...ries/top01.txt

    Doesn't mean the Ps can't or won't contact someone else. Too bad though as the sculpter is a true fan of the team starting from the ABA days.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  13. #38
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No statue!

    Had he done what he did, and also delivered multiple championships...sure. As it stands, not only does that player have to be far and above the best player in the history of your franchise, he also has to be at least the most dominant player of his era, and arguably in the top 5 of all time to warrant a statue.

    Retire his number, and if you must, name a street near Conseco after him or something. But he doesn't need (or I assume want) a statue in front of Conseco Fieldhouse.

    As an aside, what happens if JO brings 2 or 3 banners to Indy within the next 10 years? Do we tear down the Reggie statue to erect the JO statue? Do we have to put up a new statue any time a player becomes the best in franchise history? Jordan is pretty safe in his statuehood because he delivered 6 titles with a mediocre team, completely dominated his era, and transcended the game to such a point that when you said, "Michael", everyone knew you were talking about MJ. The Pacers have never had a guy like that, and until we do, we've got no business talking about a statue.
    SHHhhhhhh....You're making too much sense. Join the lemmings and fall in step!! Statue!! Statue!! Statue!!
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  14. #39
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    I don't think he should.

  15. #40
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    I snap-voted 'yes' before I read the thread. I keep trying to remind myself to read, comprehend, be thoughtful, then make a decision, but it doesn't always work out like that!

    I voted yes because I've only been a Pacers fan as long as Reggie was a Pacer. I cut my teeth in the early 90's on all the Pacers-Knicks playoff series'. To me, Reggie IS the Pacers, and always will be. I can't think of any player who contributed more to the Pacers than he did.

    I'm sorry I can't include Larry Brown, but hey, nobody is gonna erect a statue of some balding white guy in a suit. He doesn't put asses in the seats, night in and night out. That is what makes it all happen. If the fans stop paying to watch them play, the whole house of cards comes down.

    In that respect, Reggie got the entire state to love the Pacers and to love them being contenders.

    I agree with all of the arguments against a statue, but I still say yes!

  16. #41
    Member Knucklehead Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Think of "all" the other statues in Indianapolis. Then imagine a list of them including RM.

    Nevertheless, it'll probably happen anyway.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

  17. #42
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SHHhhhhhh....You're making too much sense. Join the lemmings and fall in step!! Statue!! Statue!! Statue!!
    I don't think it quite comes to these terms, does it? I voted yes of my own accord.

  18. #43
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    For my money, if you're going to have a statue of Reggie, then I think you should have one for George McGinnis, put up at the same time. That guy WAS a superstar, and led us to several titles. In an era without the media saturation of today, George helped give Indiana pro basketball a face.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  19. #44

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    I'm surprised the Pacers don't already have a statue or two outside from their great ABA teams.

    We have four of them outside of our two arenas in Philly. Erving,Bobby Clarke,Rocky(The Art Museum wanted it moved there) and they put one up last year of Wilt to honor him.

    Personally, I think they add a nice touch to the buildings and it is a great way to honor/remember players who have done good work in the community and for the franchises. It is also nice way for young fans attending their 1st games to learn about the history of the teams.

  20. #45
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    I voted yes by my own will. That was before I read Mark et al argue against it. I still would like to see it, but they make good points against the idea.

  21. #46
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacesetter,

    I didn't mean to impy that I though Larry should have a statue quite the contrary. Perhaps I didn't make my point as clearly as I had hoped.

    It is my view that no sports figure is worthy of a statue. I feel such an honor should be given extremely sparingly and afforded only those with an impact on areas of greater consequence than sports.

    As I opined earlier, I think hanging a player's number (or, as in Slick's case, a won-lost record) from the rafters is a great tribute and one that Reggie is very deserving of.

    In a nutshell, I think honoring an athlete with a statue is over the top, though I'm not indicating (impicitly or otherwise) that Reggie is not one of the top three or four figures in Pacer history.

    But he's just a basketball player.

    MJB
    Well, c'mon now. It would be one thing to erect a statue of him in front of city hall, and quite another to put it in or outside of Conseco Fieldhouse. It is, after all, a sports arena where the Indiana Pacers play...basketball. The place is practically a shrine to the game.

  22. #47
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    I don't have a problem with a statue, but I have a problem eretcing a statue to a guy who didn't win a championship and wasn't one of the top five players of his era. look at how Philly does it.

    Clarke won back to back Stanley Cups

    Dr J. won three titles a ton of MVP awards, who knows what else.

    Wilt was...well, Wilt.

    Is that how small town we are? Big cities erect statues for players who won title and were the absolute best in their field. We reward guys who did really, really well. So who cares if they came up a little short in accomplishments by comparision.

    Despite what I've said, I don't think it's that big a deal, either way, but I think you shortchange guys like Big Mac if you don't give him a statue, too. Mac WAS the Pacers and brough us title, but no one's talking about a statue for him.

    I guess what gets me about the statue idea is the perception that small towns don't have the tenacity to win a title or attract the real talent or do anything in the NBA of real note. Erecting a statue to a ringless, to date, not in the HOF, not one of the greatest players of all time list players seems to just validate that we celebrate mediocrity. (Not that I'm calling Reggie mediocre, but it seems other citys erect statues to guy who have reached the summit of their profession. Not to guys who almost got there but we really, really like them a lot.)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  23. #48
    Pacesetter
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Just to go back to what I had said earlier, I think having a bronze bust of Donnie and Reggie in a showcase, or supplanting the bronze circular plate in the rotunda for one of Donnie and Reg depicting Reggie's signing would be appropriate in my opinion. I realize Reggie was a basketball player, but I still believe he went beyond that for the city, and his contributions as a basketball player is perhaps something that is incalculable in terms of international exposure for this city. Donnie has basically built a farm club, the Indiana Pacers, into a nationally recognized powerhouse. He also was the key figure in all sorts of stuff through Pacers Sports and Entertainment, and the Pacers Academy. However, how much of a role he played I don't know. His biggest catch was the lanky SG from UCLA.

    A stand alone for Reggie, nah, a stand alone for Donnie and Reggie yeah, or a bust of each or something else really special. I just believe that Reggie deserves more than a jersey retirement even though that alone is monumental in its own right.

  24. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Maybe something like this would be a better compromise. Instead of a full sized statue maybe a statue relief (look at the Max Carey picture). I'm sure it would be cheaper, quicker, and might there be some other considerations (Slick) (Big Mac) (Roger) or (Mel) that could be included?

    http://www.eric-pitts.terre-haute.in...emorials_.html
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  25. #50
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe something like this would be a better compromise. Instead of a full sized statue maybe a statue relief (look at the Max Carey picture). I'm sure it would be cheaper, quicker, and might there be some other considerations (Slick) (Big Mac) (Roger) or (Mel) that could be included?

    http://www.eric-pitts.terre-haute.in...emorials_.html

    I like that idea, like it a lot.

    Actually, I think Reggie's game will translate to 2-D better than a full 3-D statue.

    Plus, we can have all those shocked Knicks fans in the background. :-)
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •