View Poll Results: Should Reggie get a statue in front of Conseco?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 74.36%
  • No

40 25.64%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Reggie get a statue?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Should Reggie get a statue?

After all that Reggie gave to Indiana, the game of basketball, and Indiana fans do you think he should get a statue in front of Conseco like the one of Micheal Jordan in Chicago or Magic in LA?

Default Re: Should Reggie get a statue?

He is
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

No question about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is

Oh, you've done it now. Stern's secret police are gonna burn Able's server farm to the ground to keep this hush hush.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

No Brainer. I would be surprised if this has is not already in the works

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Okay, I'm the only who has said no so far. I love Reggie, but in my opinion, to get a statue, you have to be above and beyond great. Jordan delivered six championships, so that is not a fair comparison in my mind.

Now, if he does get one, I won't be mad. I just don't think he merits one, though in my mind it is a close call.

Quote Originally Posted by Granville
    Okay, I'm the only who has said no so far. I love Reggie, but in my opinion, to get a statue, you have to be above and beyond great. Jordan delivered six championships, so that is not a fair comparison in my mind.

Now, if he does get one, I won't be mad. I just don't think he merits one, though in my mind it is a close call.
    Stockton and Malone already have one between them 0 Championships.
    It signifies the enormous impact he has had on the franchise.

Why Not Us ?

All,

Thought provoking topic. At the risk of being accused of heresy, I vote with Granville on this. Though I personally think erecting a staue of a sports figure is a little too far south of where I would be comfortable drawing the hero worship line, to the extent that I would consider it, the person honored would have to be, beyond any reasonable doubt, the most siginificant figure in the franchise.

Though I doubt the majority of you would agree with me on this, I would submit that both Larry Brown and Donnie Walsh have made more significant contributions to the franchise than Reggie did.

And I say that as one who greatly admires #31 and believe he's richly deserving of a spot in the Hall of Fame.

MJB

I said no because its a tad pretentious for Indiana. Hang his number and set up a display to honor him inside the arena.

Reggie is the league's all time leader in 3pt FG's, 3pt FG's attempted, and 4pt plays. Reggie is 12th on the all time scoring list. Reggie is 22nd all time in FGs made. He's 6th all time in minutes played. He is 7th all time in FT percentage. He is 17th all time in minutes per game. He's 10th all time in FT's made. Reggie played 18 seasons with one franchise (I know there are a few things I forgot so if anyone remembers them feel free to add the in). If that isn't above and beyond great I'm not sure what is.

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313
    All,

Thought provoking topic. At the risk of being accused of heresy, I vote with Granville on this. Though I personally think erecting a staue of a sports figure is a little too far south of where I would be comfortable drawing the hero worship line, to the extent that I would consider it, the person honored would have to be, beyond any reasonable doubt, the most siginificant figure in the franchise.

Though I doubt the majority of you would agree with me on this, I would submit that both Larry Brown and Donnie Walsh have made more significant contributions to the franchise than Reggie did.

And I say that as one who greatly admires #31 and believe he's richly deserving of a spot in the Hall of Fame.

MJB
    It's great to see you back MJB, but I don't agree with you on this one. I don't worship Reggie, I just think greatness deserves to be rewarded with something great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    It's great to see you back MJB, but I don't agree with you on this one. I don't worship Reggie, I just think greatness deserves to be rewarded with something great.
    Well, my feeling is that if the most successful franchise in the history of the league doesn't line their streets with statues of some of the greatest players to ever play the game, then why should we? All they do is hang their numbers. Of course, if the Celtics have put up statues then this arguement goes nowhere.

P #1 Fan,

I agree, though it appears that our definition of great differs. I think hanging a player's number in the rafters is great (and suffucient recognition for any player), and I think the Pacers are one of the few franchises that have limited this honor to those that are truly deserving.

MJB

If reggie doesnt get a statue something is seriously wrong with our organization

Mood

His number retired is a fitting reward to Reggie Miller's days as a Pacer. To me thats very fair. If he had lead the team to multiple World Championship, I'd be on the statue bandwagon.

Even Bill Russell , who lead the Celtics to 11 titles in 13 years has no statue.

All,

MJB

When you put it like that I start thinking about a Slick Leonard statue.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Yes, Reggie should have a statue...and I believe Boyle and Slick should have giant bobblehead statues too.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

I voted "Yes" to the statue but I can certainly understand some of the dissenting voices I've read here and can't even diagree with them. ...BUT, I couldn't stand in the way of a movement to see Reggie get a statue.

He had a special career as far as Pacer (NBA) players go. With the statue would be to honor him or to honor him AND symbolize an era in Pacer basketball I couldn't argue against that.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I say make a public poll to the citizens of Indiana, and ask them.

Mr Boyle, though Donnie and possibly Larry had a lot to do to help this franchise get off the ground, no one has been a bigger icon in Pacers sports than Reggie. He is who the people love, who they go to the game to see, who they think about at the end of the game. He is absolutely loved in this state. For that reason I think it is worth considering.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

If Rocky can have one, why can't Reggie?........Although I guess Rocky was a long time heavyweight champ, with 10 title defenses before he could no longer duck Clubber.............

3ptmiller

No.. Jordan didnt deliver six championships... does 30 ppg and clutchness and teamleadership mean that you are always responsible to deliver a championship? Look at Allen Iverson and do u see him with a ring? Look at Kobe Bryant alone.. do u see him geting anywhere without shaq? This is a team game...

Sure Jordan was good, probably the best ever.. but no single basketball player can make a Team WIN, but he can make them slightly better... Bulls team was carried by 5 starters who was All-Stars and probably the best bench players ever (Toni Kukoc etc.) and with the best Coach ever and franchise it cant be that hard to win a championship... Even when Phil Jackson wanted to quit, Jordan was threating to retire... Even when Scottie Pippen wanted to change team, Jordan again was threating to retire / quit / change team...

What im trying to say is that Reggie ALWAYS stayed there, all his Coaches came and left, all his teammates came and left.. He never complained, He always listened to the coach, He never was a Ballhoger, he STILL stayed there and tryed to do the Impossible thing and damn it was close and fun to watch.. He build the Pacers, A true Professionall, He ALWAYS referred to younger players and taught them everything... Look at Jermaine Oneal, even tho Reggie could average 20+ ppg he instead helped Jermaine to become what he is today... We all thought Reggie was old and could not play anymore, but no.. he was just building these players.. and when he Left today, he left the ULTIMATE Team who is gona win the 2006 Championship..

This is the kind of people that diserve a Statue!!

(sorry for weird grammar! )

I think this is quite an interesting question as well. Its hard to say what makes a man worthy of being immortalized with a statue. I don't think we have a whole lot of statues memorializing single individuals in Indianapolis, do we? Has Reggie done so much for this city that he would warrant such an honor? I'm frankly not sure. I am Indianapolis through and through, but I don't know enough about the history of the city. Benjamin Harrison is a famous former resident, though did he do anything for our city? Mozell Sanders, another guy important in our city. I guess we have to make things relative. That's all that I would throw into the conversation.

I did vote for the statue but somewhat before considering all the implications.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I don't know about a statue, but IMO the most important individuals in the history of the franchise are:

1a. Slick - totally ignoring his coaching career and his work in the broadcast booth, the telethon was his idea, and it kept the Pacers in Indy.

1b. Donnie - a shrewd GM, he's done a pretty remarkable job selecting players and in selecting coaches.

3. Reggie - joined the club when it was still losing and eventually turned it into a perrenial winner, having a pretty decent career along the way.

A statue, maybe not. But I could certainly go along with a new mural somewhere in the lobby.

Pacesetter

All,

MJB
    Mark, you are way more knowledgable about this than I am. I understand why you'd put Larry Brown, based on the strides we made as a team during his 3 seasons here, but because he left us before we completed the work I don't feel he deserves a statue or any other recognition but he was huge for us. I agree with you that Reggie shouldn't get a stand alone statue. I'd like to see a statue with Reggie and Donnie together depicting Reggie's signing. My case for Reggie is simple. I think his loyalty and consistency over 18 seasons set the precedent for all future Pacers. We also might not have had as much success without Reggie, and we may not have the interest we have now from young and old if it hadn't been for Reggie. Some have used MJ's example from Chicago, and MJ obviously deserved his statue, but he was drafted to a team in one of the largest markets in the country. Reggie came to a little cornfield town. Now Indy has gotten much bigger and is much more diversified. How much he had to do with that is incalculable, but it is apparent by the international flavor the Pacers have and the comments those folks have made about Reg that he had a significant impact on the fan following the Pacers enjoy. Donnie Walsh is the greatest All Star to come from the Pacers without ever donning a uniform. He's a no-brainer, so the two together would seem appropriate considering the tie they share. The round bronze plate in the center of the rotunda would look good if it was supplanted by a life sized depiction of Reggie and Donnie at Reggie's signing! JMO.

I voted no even though I already know they are working on a statue.

I think that a retired jersey is plenty, along with the love of a franchise. But as has said before if they ever do actually go ahead & make the small statue I've seen go big then I won't be mad either.

I like the comment about Walsh & Brown bringing more to the team than Reggie.

Even a known Walsh basher like me has to step back & realize that both Brown & Miller were brought here by Joe Walsh (I love calling him that).

However then I have to step back & think, well the Simons brought him in & stuck with him when many (mostly me) wanted his head on a pike in front of M.S.A. so maybe they deserve a little more credit here as well.

I'll rank mine like this

1. Slick

2. Simons, Walsh, Brown

3. Brad Miller........ Just kidding

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13