Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Jeff Foster way underrated by everyone

Default Is Jeff Foster way underrated by everyone

Jeff Foster was superb in both weekend games, in fact he has been very good all season except for a few games right before the allstar break when his energy levels dropped and he had the finger injury.

Last year everyone, myself included talked about how J.O and Brad Miller complemented each other very well. I think Foster and J.O complement each other almost as well. Defensively the combo of Jeff and J.O is better than Brad and J.O.

Peck, you won't like my next comment, but Jeff Foster is an excellent defender who fits in perfectly with the Pacers fronting the post defensive system. Jeff's quickness and mobility allows him to get in front of the low post player and yet not get beat on the reverse pass or pass from the high post.

The comments below are from Hubie Brown after the game Saturday night. He seems inpressed. It was great in the third quarter, the Pacers ran a pick and roll with Reggie and J.O, Pau Gasol three times left Foster under the rim wide open to help, and you could hear Hubie yell at Pau, "what are you doing", and you could hear Pau say "helping out"

There is not a team or coach in the NBA who would not love to have Jeff Foster. I have not even mentioned his rebounding, he got one offensive rebound in the second half Saturday night that was amazing, amazing, in fact to me that was the most exciting play of the game

(On the Pacers) “You can see how tough these guys are. They are a physical team, a tough team. They have [Ron] Artest and [Jermaine] O’Neal but the unsung guy on that team is [Jeff] Foster. He is a big key for that team. He is their Shane Battier. He dives on the floor, he gets deflections...he does a great job.”

“Early, their quickness and physical play was too much for our first group. Our first group could not handle them. Our second group is much quicker. When we went to the zone, it slowed down the

game.”http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/quotes_040320.html

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is Jeff Foster way underrated by everyone

I always wonder, when opposing coaches and players talk about our "great" players, do they really mean what they are saying or are they trying to encourage our coaches/ management to play that player instead of someone else they fear more?

Its kinda like a coach calling another coach great right after he beat him... wouldn't want that "easy to beat" guy to get fired, would you?

But that has nothing specific to do with your post, and I agree that Foster had a good weekend. But his increased role didn't help us win either game, so I don't know what any of it means.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Booger

Honestly, I would say Jeff Foster is underappreciated, not underrated.

Sports Logo

I think Jeff is under rated. But I dont think oposing coaches forget about him. We have seen him held down by the arm a lot when going for rebounds.

I think oposing coaches are telling their guys to do this because it works. Unfortunatly it seems to never get called but lately he seems to be doing it back so that is good.

If Hubie Brown says it, then it must be true.

Jeff is OK. Servicable, in fact.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

NewYawk

If Hubie Brown says it, then it must be true.

Jeff is OK. Servicable, in fact.
    Tony Battie is "okay."

Brevin Knight is "okay."

Mark Madson is "okay."

Jeff Foster is a good C-PF. If he played for Boston, they' be a 4 or 5 seed in the East. If he played for Orlando, they'd have a much better record. He's a glue guy, keeps the team together... does all the little things.

I'm glad he's a Pacer.

Graywolf_59

I've alway's liked Foster's play.......He bust's his @$$ to get to the ball on D for sure!

Foster's fine. I'd still prefer to see him coming off the bench (no way would he start ahead of Mark Blount or Juwan Howard) but the guy deserves minutes - excellent rebounder and hustle guy.

The one problem is that he and JO are pretty similar as defenders - they both use their quickness and mobility. It would help the Pacers if they could put a lineup on the floor where one of the defenders is fairly physical.

Nit picking though really - he's certainly been solid, especially after last year which was close to a lost season for him.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I'm glad he's a Pacer.
    Me too. I like Jeff a great deal, and there are many centers that are a lot less than "OK".

If you consider Mark Madsen OK, well, you must consider all breathing living gainfully employed NBA players to be OK.

When I say someone's OK, that means pretty darn-near average, or maybe even a little better, for his position. He complements his teammates pretty well and does the necessary dirty work that is not well-reflected statistically.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

NewYawk

I'm glad he's a Pacer.
    Me too. I like Jeff a great deal, and there are many centers that are a lot less than "OK".

If you consider Mark Madsen OK, well, you must consider all breathing living gainfully employed NBA players to be OK.

When I say someone's OK, that means pretty darn-near average, or maybe even a little better, for his position. He complements his teammates pretty well and does the necessary dirty work that is not well-reflected statistically.
    Madsen is similar to Foster, though I think Foster is more skilled than Madsen (and probably a much better dancer). High energy guy. Hustles. Grabs timely rebounds. Plays good defense. All effort, all the time. He's a big reason Minnesota is doing what it's doing this year.

I personally think Foster is better than average. Allan Houston (sans his ridiculous contract) is average. Anthony Johnson is average. Foster is better.

I always read about Jeff's hustle and effort and yes he does bring that.

But let's not undersell his talent. Yes I mean talent. He has a nose for the ball, he is very quick for someone his size, he has quick hands and he is really fast, those are all talents that help him hustle.

I am satisfied with Jeff as the starting center

Old as Dirt

Default Foster

I have said all along that Jeff was on of the best, all He needed was to get a chance to get some min and prove it. Now every one is bragging about him. But is funny to read.

Default Re: Foster

I have said all along that Jeff was on of the best, all He needed was to get a chance to get some min and prove it. Now every one is bragging about him. But is funny to read.
    I agree with all, but let's make one thing clear, no more 3pt attempts!

If only he had a shot
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

He's servicable, and he'd be great coming off the bench, but for a team with championship aspirations, he's not good enough to be your starting center. Even with JO, you should still probably have someone that's at least in the top 15 at that position.

IndyToad
    Smile

Theshop

It would be just great to have someone like the Kings Brad Miller. He does everything you need out of center, he scores, rebounds, defends and is a very good passer.

he gets the Krusty seal of approval:

http://www.stickergiant.com/page/sg/PROD/ssim51

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It would be just great to have someone like the Kings Brad Miller. He does everything you need out of center, he scores, rebounds, defends and is a very good passer.
    Funny thing...Before we had Brad, I use to say the same thing about Scot Pollard. Damn, I didn't know I was so wrong for thinking that.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I've always recognized Jeff as one of the better players on the Pacers' squads. How can anyone not love the man's hustle? He plays the game right.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Jeff is great But one thing he needs to work on is his silly fouls , he gets alot of silly fouls

I think we're fortunate to have someone like Jeff to minimize the loss of Brad Miller....Yeah no one will mistake Jeff for Rik Smits....but as MSA2CF pointed out he plays hard and plays everynight.... There is really only 3 or 4 starting centers in each conference I would take over Jeff...

It seems like Jeff is the type of player people here would appreciate....some people can't get over the fact that BM is gone and will always bring up Jeff's shortcomings in comparison to Brad.

Funny thing...Before we had Brad, I use to say the same thing about Scot Pollard. Damn, I didn't know I was so wrong for thinking that.

Pollard has shocked me so much this season. He isn't near 1/2 of what he was last year. To be honest I think it's because of Foster. Foster is doing what Pollard did for the Kings last year.

I'm sorry ya'll but Pollard has sunk into the gutters this year.

Sactolover
    AKA Sactolover05

Sports Logo

Pollard has shocked me so much this season. He isn't near 1/2 of what he was last year. To be honest I think it's because of Foster. Foster is doing what Pollard did for the Kings last year.

Sactolover
    I am sorry but Foster is not doing what Pollard did last year. First of all he is playing every game. Secondly Pollard was always a poor mans Foster you just didnt see Foster play as much.

Pollard is ok when it is a run and gun and he gets easy baskets right at the rim and does not have to play any D what so-ever. But you put him in a half court and he is totaly worthless. Unfortunaly for him and us no one in the Pacers seemed to notice this despite my shouting on the boards. ed:

Pollard is playing worse than I expected but I knew Foster was better in every way than Pollard.

Sactolover
    I am sorry but Foster is not doing what Pollard did last year. First of all he is playing every game. Secondly Pollard was always a poor mans Foster you just didnt see Foster play as much.

Pollard is ok when it is a run and gun and he gets easy baskets right at the rim and does not have to play any D what so-ever. But you put him in a half court and he is totaly worthless. Unfortunaly for him and us no one in the Pacers seemed to notice this despite my shouting on the boards. ed:

Pollard is playing worse than I expected but I knew Foster was better in every way than Pollard.

Foster rebounds and defends. That's all Pollard did when he came into the game last year.

Sactolover
    AKA Sactolover05

Sports Logo

Foster rebounds and defends. That's all Pollard did when he came into the game last year.

Sactolover
    Pollard defends? Maybe what the Kings call defense but not what Rick Carlisle calls it. You also need to remember that there were more possessions in Sacramento so there were more rebounds to be had. Here there are less so Fosters rebounding is that much more impressive.

Sactolover
    Pollard defends? Maybe what the Kings call defense but not what Rick Carlisle calls it. You also need to remember that there were more possessions in Sacramento so there were more rebounds to be had. Here there are less so Fosters rebounding is that much more impressive.

I guess...Another reason why I thought he'd be good for the East was because I remember him being the main reason why the Kings beat the Pacers at CF last year. I mean...he did rebound...and yes he defended.

Sactolover
    AKA Sactolover05