Thread: Pats win helped

Default Pats win helped

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4907718

Clock error helped Patriots beat Steelers
    Associated Press
    Posted: 1 hour ago

PITTSBURGH (AP) - A clock error added 52 seconds to the fourth quarter of the Patriots-Steelers game Sunday. The extra time aided the Patriots during a winning drive that ended with Adam Vinatieri's 43-yard field goal with 1 second remaining.

The Patriots won 23-20, their fourth victory against the Steelers in five games since 2001, including AFC championship game victories during the 2001 and 2004 seasons.

The NFL acknowledged the mistake Monday, with director of officiating Mike Pereira issuing a statement: "The on-field officiating crew, which oversees the official game clock operated in the press box, failed to recognize that the clock was improperly reset."

The mistake occurred after the second play of the fourth quarter, a reverse by Steelers wide receiver Cedrick Wilson for no gain on second-and-10 from the Pittsburgh 30 with the Steelers ahead 13-10.

There were 14 minutes, 51 seconds remaining when the play started and, by the time, a false start penalty was called on Steelers guard Kendall Simmons, the Heinz Field clock had run down to 13:59.

But before the next play started, the clock reverted back to 14:51 - the time left before the Wilson run. Ben Roethlisberger's incompletion on third-and-15 lasted 14 seconds and Chris Gardocki's 51-yard punt took up 10 seconds, meaning the Patriots got the ball back with 14:19 remaining in the game rather than 13:27 if the error hadn't occurred.

According to former NFL official Chuck Heberling, who observes the officials in a league-appointed capacity, an NFL employee in New York spotted the error and immediately called officials supervisor Johnny Grier. Grier was sitting with Heberling in the press box.

"We checked it out with the statisticians and, according to his records, everything seemed to be all right," Heberling said. As a result, no move was made to try to correct the error.

The mistake showed up when the officiating crew, headed by referee Bill Carollo, reviewed the CBS game tape with Grier and Heberling during their usual post-game meeting in a Pittsburgh hotel.

"When we ran the tape, it was obvious it (the clock) was jumping," Heberling said.

The clock operators - there are two, one for the game clock and the other for the play clock - are locally based but hired by the league. The Steelers did not identify them, and they are not listed with the other officials on the league's statistical report.

"It's a very unusual thing," Heberling said.

The mistake caused the final quarter to last 15 minutes, 52 seconds, extra time that proved invaluable to New England after the Steelers tied it at 20 on Roethlisberger's 4-yard touchdown pass to Hines Ward with 1:21 remaining.

After New England got the ball at its 38, Tom Brady needed only 31 seconds to complete passes of 17, 14 and 6 yards to set up Vinatieri's third field goal of the game. Forty-five seconds ran off between the time Brady found David Givens for 6 yards to the Steelers 25 and Vinatieri kicked the decisive field goal.

Steelers president Dan Rooney was unaware of the mistake until being alerted Monday by reporters. "There's nothing to say. The game's over," Rooney said. "It's not going to change the score."
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pats win helped

This is some BS. The Pats should of lost that game and the league knows it but they won't do anything about it. This is crap. The Patsies should be 1-2.

It doesnt matter,Brady wouldve still lead the Pats to a W without that extra minute or so.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesnt matter,Brady wouldve still lead the Pats to a W without that extra minute or so.
    We'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerica
    This is some BS. The Pats should of lost that game and the league knows it but they won't do anything about it. This is crap. The Patsies should be 1-2.
    Gimme a Break, Patriots won that game, plain and simple. Trying to come up with some lame *** excuse to why they won that game.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are you kidding me?

Cowher pulled one of his famous last minute moves that I've never seen work. The Patriots were expecting the Steelers to call timeout so they'd have *some* time after they got the ball back. The Patriots were out of timeouts, third down. Cowher let the clock keep running, and the Patriots FG unit had to sprint onto the field with no time to set up. Its the opposite of "icing" but I've seen many opponents FGs go through the uprights at 0:00.

The entire play clock was used so that the kick went through the uprights with 0:01 left.

Had the Patriots really had 0:51 seconds less, they would've (a) not run Dillon up the middle on second down while in FG range, or (b) used an incomplete pass to stop the clock on third down.

The game clock had no real bearing on yesterday's game.

I read earlier today that Cowher said the Steelers stopped going after the rookie LT - and IMO that's why Brady had enough time to complete 397,758 consecutive passes in the fourth quarter.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

SOunds like some more sore loser comments.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I don't think he meant you jay...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I find most of these comments disturbing, actually.

It was a tie game, and the Patriots were in FG position with more than a minute remaining. The best possible situation for the Steelers was to go overtime against a team that still just has better poise than we do.

Believe me, if anyone wants a different outcome its me. We may have the second-best team in the league, but we're miles behind the Patriots, especially when we play them at home.

I'm dying to see if we can beat them in Foxboro, because I'm sick of losing to them in Pittsburgh.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

didnt mean you, Jay.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

IMO the reason they lost was the fumble on the lateral.

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue
    IMO the reason they lost was the fumble on the lateral.
    I said somewhere else that we took at least nine points off the board, and perhaps 13. That fumble, on the 15 yard-line, and two Kendall Simmons penalties (a false start on a made FG that pushed us out of range) and a holding penalty that pushed out out of FG range (and forced Ben R's first punt.)

We only had four penalties yesterday (I think Simmons actually had all four!!) but without a doubt the Patriots just amaze me with their composure.

Those nine points would come in handy when playing against the defending SB champion and a team that has had our number - with one big exception last season - for a decade now.

When will people realize that the Pats are an awesome team,And with or without an extra minute it doesnt matter at all,And im sure that most of the Steelers would tell you the same thing.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

It seems as though all the things you normally don't do wrong, the Patriots make you do. They are quite the opportunistic team, and they force you to make mistakes. They are damn good, what can you say.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sore loser? Nah, just a Pats-hater. I hate them with a passion.

Anyways, a loss is a loss and a win is a win, no matter how it happens. Whoever said that the Steelers lost that game because of that Randle-El to Ward lateral was right. That was the most boneheaded play I have seen in a long time. It's things like that you do not do when you are playing a team like the Patriots. A play like that will take the steam right out of your boat and they (the Steelers) payed for it....clock or no clock.

The Colts better not be doing crap like that, which I don't think they would in the first place, but better safe than sorry.

Plaxico Burress still has the lead in bone-headed turnovers.

His first NFL completion was a diving catch in the middle of the field. Big gain. He got and celebrated and spiked the ball. Somebody from Baltimore picked up the ball and ran it back for a touchdown. Turns out that in the pro game, you're not down until you're touched. Who knew? Apparantely, everyone but Plexiglas. Moron.

Nothing against Cowher, but Tony has our team way too discliplined to do anything stpid like that.

Bill Cowher's teams have an interesting view of discipline.

Obviously, as a ball-control coach, he can go berzerk at mental mistakes like penalties, turnovers, and botched punts (ask Josh Miller ). But he's also a player's coach, and he encourages his players to try to make plays, so he tolerates mistakes made when a player is just trying to make a play. Obviously, all those years of Kordell Stewart's inept quarterbacking softened him a little bit. Or else he'd be dead from a heart attack by now.

I thought he'd go ape-**** on the sidelines after the lateral, because I almost went ape-**** at my coffee table. But he's always got an interesting (and usually accurate) read on his players.

Still, I'm guessing that behind closed doors, Antwaan and Hines have been on a receiving end of conversation with only one guy talking (yelling), lots of inadvertant spitting, and a chin sticking way out...

And these guys would still try to run through a brick wall for him.