Thread: Defensive End Jonathan Welsh Returns to Practice

Default Defensive End Jonathan Welsh Returns to Practice

By John Oehser - Colts.com

Colts Rookie Defensive End Jonathan Welsh Returns to Practice
    INDIANAPOLIS - He has waited and watched for a month and a half.

On Wednesday afternoon, after what he said seemed forever rehabilitating, Colts rookie defensive end Jonathan Welsh returned to where he had wanted to be all along.

On the field.

Welsh (6-feet-4, 228 pounds), a fifth-round selection in the 2005 NFL Draft from the University of Wisconsin, sustained a knee injury in the Colts' preseason opener against the Atlanta Falcons in the Tokyo Bowl in Tokyo, Japan.

That was August 6, and Welsh spent the last six weeks rehabbing the knee before returning to practice Wednesday.

“It’s a good feeling,” Welsh said as the AFC South-leading Colts (2-0) prepared to play the Cleveland Browns (1-1) at the RCA Dome Sunday at noon EST.

“I’ve been pretty much dormant for the last month and a half not doing anything.”

Welsh, a two-year starter at Wisconsin who had 13 sacks in college, said he may play on a limited basis against Cleveland. He is listed as questionable on the team’s injury report.

“Jonathan did some things and we’re hoping he can go on special teams and help us out a little bit,” Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy said. “We’ll see how he does tomorrow, but he did a good job today.”

Welsh said he played enough in training camp to have an idea about the Colts’ defensive style. Now, the focus is getting regular-season playing time, he said.

“I have a good grasp on things,” Welsh said. “Now, it’s really catching up with everything. I have to get to season speed. That’s the biggest ting. Today, and this week, I’ve got to get my timing back.

“I had a good supporting cast. Guys on this team are great guys and I never felt like I didn’t belong with the team. It was just a matter of getting back healthy. That was the biggest thing.”

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3096

Why Not Us ?

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Defensive End Jonathan Welsh Returns to Practice

Glad to see he's healthy . . .but I hope we don't need him

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What confuses me is that he's a DE, but he's 228 lbs. That's really small. I know, Freeney is undersized, but 228 lbs? Wow, that's small.

He's a special teamer mainly. Guys like him are special teams studs because they know how to hit, and they have fairly good size, and they're frikin' FAST.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

He's about the size of Mathis. Hopefully, he has close to Robert's ability to get to the QB

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really? I didn't realize Mathis was that small.

Just checked the colts.com roster, Robert is listed at 235. So, I guess you're right, he's right around that size.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake