Thread: Announcing the return of the Pacers Game Night Chat Room (Updated Mar.22)

Mood

Default Announcing the return of the Pacers Game Night Chat Room (Updated Mar.22)

*Update* The Final Version of the new chat room is up and ready to go! You will find it here:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/chat/applet.html

Hi all. Very soon, latest estimate is for Monday's game, we will introduce the new and considerably improved Pacers Game Chat to Pacers Digest and its users.

It should feature all of the forum's smilies, will have a separate room relaying play-by-play text updates from one of the sports websites like espn.com or nba.com or yahoo or whatever, and we will unveil "RoboHicks", who will take the messages in the chat room and post them in BostonConnection's Game Night Threads, that way we can archive them with plenty still to read, while when the game is going on, we have the chat room to talk in.

This new chat room, I should mention, is java instead of html this time, so no reloading issues experienced like last time.

Now, I'm announcing this a little early, but not TOO early because in the meantime, we've setup a simpler, temporary chat room to tide us over for tonight if you want to use it, here:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/chat/chat.html

That will be used until we get the "real" one up and going, which again should hopefully be in time for Monday's game.

Default Re: Announcing the return of the Pacers Game Night Chat Room (Updated Mar.22)

Great. Java. Mac's hate java. Ah well. The game thread still works for me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Announcing the return of the Pacers Game Night Chat Room (Updated Mar.22)

cool.

Great. Java. Mac's hate java. Ah well. The game thread still works for me.
    Let me add for those who are somewhat older and have "experrience":

chat can be approached via an "irc" client as well (mIrc, Xchat, whatever) in that case tuen your station to:

ircjunkie.net/6667(-7000)

#pacersgamechat

also available; but not in "real" use yet:

#pub
    #pacersannounceonly

abel
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chat Available tonight ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

yeah that was fun even though we lost

Mood

The temp chat is no more.

The ACTUAL chat room is ready!

http://www.pacersdigest.com/chat/applet.html

Sports Logo

Will we be able to co into the IRc chat with the new one?

Mood

Will we be able to co into the IRc chat with the new one?
    It should be the same as the temp one saturday, so yes.

Are the chats being archived? I didn't get to participate last night and would like to see the thoughts on the game.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Are the chats being archived? I didn't get to participate last night and would like to see the thoughts on the game.
    Eventually, yes they will be. That feature isn't quite ready to go yet, but I believe it will be soon. Maybe able has a better idea, but I was guessing within a week.

Ok some short updates, we are lining up several upgrades and options, but reality, life, work and other things are getting seriously in the way.

What will we have during the playoffs:

1. the chat itself
    2. I have proposed (and still do) to make the chat of slightly different format, one that works wonders for several chats that I have hosted for years for some English football (soccer) clubs; what they do is to have 2 - 3 channels and of course the priv message option open. 1. channel is the "play by play" with "commentator" now they play by play can be setup to be "picked of" from a site that does, it, experience tells me they all hand at times and update irratically, but it can also be done by "volunteers" who are watching the game in real time, they can setup a rotation to "announce" the plays say one minute per announcer, if you are with 2 - 4 announcers this will leave you all the time to enjoy the game. In this channel ONLY the announcers can talk, all other talk is stopped (no guest is "voiced") for talking there is a "stadium" or "stands" channel, in which the broadcast "can" be relayed as well, or you can have serveral screens open (floating) that is up to you guys, but in this channel you can talk, rave, sing, cheer whatever. A 3d is usual the "pub" where during half-time and after and before the game people gather, who were online and those who can see the game for some lofty discussion on the game.

Now I am not sure that this would work, but to me it looks the best solution, closest to the gamethread but without the need to refresh, the heavy loading of graphics etc. Also my server likes it better then 100 people continuously refreshing the thread.

What else will we have on offer;
    "highlights" of the announce channel will be posted in to be decided intervals to the forum automagically, for those interested and for posterity.

If some of you with knowledge and equipment and most importantly a decent connection, are willing then we can produce our own highlights during the games, i.e. every 5 minutes or quarter, again this is depending on who can contribute to this, video gets uploaded to my servers, who in turn "broadcast" or make available in streaming format the "clips"

Once I have the time to get the kinks out, we will also re-broadcast the stream (sound) of the game in almost realtime (as real as we receive it)
    We tried to do this with the WIBC stream, however this one is a minute behind the audio league pass stream which is already a minute behind the game and it ruins a lot of the experience if you are reading what is going to happen 2 -3 minutes later.
    As soon as we have a "fast enough" protocol that is reliable to do this we will start, this will be before the end of the regular season, but will be tested with a few of you who will be approached at the moment internal testing only, and we are not yet happy (reconneect problems when signal drops and a delay in realy are our main concerns) If anyone thinks he can help then I am very willing to listen.

In all; as host of this forum we are trying to make the Pacers playoff series a memorable one, we just hope they can do the same.
    One sidenote; if we reach the finals I will be there, at least two homegames and I rely upon you to get me good tickets!

And I promise I will only leave here when I am sure that all things site related are working fine
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!