Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Colts sign two running backs....

  1. #1
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Did we really need two? Could we have not just gone with Edge, Carthon and one of these guys?

    Which by the way, why is Edge needing to take so many plays off? I mean I could understand if he drove us down the field by himself like last game if he need say 2 or 3 plays off but he seems to be taking more off this year.
    All in for DG33

  2. #2

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Edge is taken out because he just isn't good with short yardage plays.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  3. #3
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edge is taken out because he just isn't good with short yardage plays.
    I disagree, our line isn't good in short yardage situations. In goaline stands, they backs very rarely matter.
    All in for DG33

  4. #4
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    I'd like to see Dungy try Raheem Brock out at FB on the goaline, like NE does with Richard Seymor. Brock's got the size and athleticism to do it I think.
    All in for DG33

  5. #5
    Member McClintic Sphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    I'd like to see more Ran Carthon

  6. #6
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,010
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Quote Originally Posted by btown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The defense is playing exceptionally well despite Corey Simon, and Polian gets credit for that
    Despite? How about because of Corey Simon. He's the gap-clogging, block-taking, fat man we needed. He may be a little overweight right now, but, he's our "Warren Sapp" if you will.

    Anyways, back to the RB topic. We got two because we've lost two. Mungro and Rhodes are both sidelined, so, we got two guys to fill their gaps. I would've liked Q. Griff for the Colts, he could be a good return guy, but he probably wouldn't like being with the Colts.

    I've always wondered why we don't use a FB. A human wrecking ball to clear the way on short yardage and goalline. We can use our TEs if we want, but, usually we use Mungro. Mungro isn't the worst, but, he's HALF the size of Edge. He did place a nice block on Ray Lewis in game one, but, man, he's like 190 lbs. We need a bowling ball of a man in at FB for short yardage.

    But, maybe there's a reason Tom Moore gets paid for those decisions, and not me.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  7. #7
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Right as good as this offense has been Goal Line Stands with no real Blocking
    Fullback is evident at times.

    Why Not Us ?


  8. #8
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry. There's a difference between what he could do in theory, and what he's actually done on the field.

    He's been there for a few plays a game. He's stood there and been nice and fat. But he sure as hell hasn't been even a fraction of the reason this defense is playing like it has been.

    50 pounds ago he could make a diffference. And hopefully, by January, he'll be the kind of DT you just described. But he certainly isn't now. And he hasn't been the first two games. He actually played less in Week 2 than he did in Week 1. Sure, he's been very similar to Warren Sapp. If you mean the 30 pound overwieght Sapp currently playing Oakland.

    The guy hasn't been on the roster that long, so he deserves a break. I'm not criticizing him for what he's done in the first two games, as no one could have expected any more. But I refuse to give him credit where credit isn't due. He's been a solid veteran voice in the locker room, one that was needed on the D, but his impact certainly hasn't translated anywhere beyond that.
    While I'll agree he has not been a huge playmaker yet, I can see him have an impact when he is in the game. He has not had the sacks or tackles, but I've seen him help create pressure and sacks. I re-watch the plays to see his effectiveness and have seen him clog the entire middle not allowing QB's escape the sack by running.

    I have yet to see him not win a one-on-one battle at least in the shoving dept. The Guard or Center is always going backwards, and whether he cets the stop or not he is still a force. And he will only get better, but he will never have the great statistics. The DE will end up with most of the sacks and the linebackers with most of the tackles, but they will get those tackles closer to the LOS than ever before thanks in large part to Simon.
    All in for DG33

  9. #9

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    I saw the first game, and I agree with Btown, I just don't seem as a difference. He hasn't really played enough as it is. The ends have been the main reason for the better run support and pass rush. Tripplett was terrific in game 1, Reagor in 2. Those 2 are the reasons why we have done well, not Simon from what I've seen. I know he will make a difference when he gets in shape. I mean, he was 30-50 lbs overweight, though he's lost about 20 or so. Once he gets about 300 and plays enough, he will help. And I doubt he will have a problem doing that or helping the team.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  10. #10
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've rewatched it, and I haven't seen that.

    I WANT to see it, but he's not there. Yet.
    Okay, but then how do you explain the better run defense?
    All in for DG33

  11. #11
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw the first game, and I agree with Btown, I just don't seem as a difference. He hasn't really played enough as it is. The ends have been the main reason for the better run support and pass rush. Tripplett was terrific in game 1, Reagor in 2. Those 2 are the reasons why we have done well, not Simon from what I've seen. I know he will make a difference when he gets in shape. I mean, he was 30-50 lbs overweight, though he's lost about 20 or so. Once he gets about 300 and plays enough, he will help. And I doubt he will have a problem doing that or helping the team.
    The man does need to lose some weight, but I still don't think he has performed poorly. Like I said, I have yet to see him lose a one on one battle with a guard or center.
    All in for DG33

  12. #12

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Tripplett, beyond my or anyone else's imagination, has gotten MUCH better. It showed in the preseason as well, and game 1 he was a monster. He spent time losing weight to gain the speed necessary, and he played the run well against Baltimore.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  13. #13
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,010
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Think back to last season, heck, this preseason. Think of the RBs that got the handoff and were already stiff-arming LBs. There was absolutely no disruption at the line. Yes, our D-line was injured during the preseason, that's why I said last season as well.

    Now, think of Jamal Lewis and Fred Taylor taking a handoff, stopping, changing direction and getting stuffed at the line.

    Now, look in the middle of that same line and see the HUGE #97. That's Corey Simon.

    He's not getting all the tackles, we have faster guys that will get most of them. But, at the LOS, RBs have to stop and think about it for a second, thus improving our run D.

    I know, his developement is not complete in our system. And I know that he's not the only reason for our improvement. But, he's one 320 lb. reason that it's better.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  14. #14

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    No it isn't. He is not the reason. We are stop the running simply because we have gotten better. Like I said, Tripplett made an effort to be a use for this team and shed quite a bit of weight. He along with the rest of the line have been much better this year. Simon hasn't even been on for most of the plays, probably about half of them. He really is not there YET.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  15. #15
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    I agree that Simon hasn't been great, although I didn't really think he has been bad so far. He has looked pretty average.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    34
    Posts
    186

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    I would definitely say our success at stopping the run is due to our linebackers. Am i the only one who sees these guys absolutely fly around the field? I love our linebackers (did i just say that?). Having Big Bob Sanders and Mike Doss doesnt hurt our run defense either.

    Simon is definitely a disruptive presence. But i agree with Btown, that's about all.

    The success of our defensive line can be attributed directly to Freeney.
    :thepacers

  17. #17
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,010
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    I didn't say he was the sole reason, just that when he is in, he helps the run.

    I know Tripp lost some weight, and he's been playing quite well. Freeney has even played the run fairly well. But why all of a sudden, is Gary Brackett not a liability against the run? Because he's got a fat man taking the blockers that would normally have been at the second level.

    Not the whole answer, not a single savior of our team. But, an important piece of our puzzle, and a key part of our improvement.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,160

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    Quote Originally Posted by SoundAndFury
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because he's got a fat man taking the blockers that would normally have been at the second level.
    Agreed. How many times last year did we see the middle open up like parting of the seas? Also we do need to pray every day that Brackett stays healthy and keeps Rawb on the bench.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  19. #19
    Member BigDawg44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Age
    27
    Posts
    457

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    i say our improved run defense is a team effort......there everybody is happy! haha

  20. #20
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,010
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign two running backs....

    And i'm not ignoring that the team has improved. I am very happy with Gary B. as our MLB in place of Rob. Brackett is faster, it's a plus for our defense.

    I suppose it would be more appropriate to attribute the defense's improvement to the entire D-line. Tripp is much better, Reagor was very impressive, Mathis excels in the nickle situations, and of course Freeney is a freak.

    Would the defense be good without Simon? Better than last year, that's for sure. Will we be better with him? Definetly. I know, he's only playing 25-30 snaps, and he's not the only reason our D improved. But, he is pushing his lineman back, collapsing the pocket, causing the runner to pause. He doesn't look All-World, don't mistake what I'm saying. The defense altogether does. But it's not all because of Simon, that's not what I'm trying to convey.

    So, yes, our LBs improved, our secondary improved, and our D-line improved. I think some of it is a result of having Simon. Individually, they're better. Together, they're better.

    **Isn't it great to argue over what makes the Colts' defense good?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •