Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Hurricane Rita

  1. #1
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,311

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Hurricane Rita

    http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001

    Looks like Texas is about to get hammered by a hurricane LARGER than Katrina.

    Any coincidence these Hurricanes have female names?

  2. #2
    Member Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Scottsburg, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,349

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    It might even hit NO again.


    This is terrible.
    AKA Sactolover05

  3. #3
    Member McClintic Sphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001

    Any coincidence these Hurricanes have female names?
    They don't all have female names, remember Andrew?

  4. #4
    Hi! pacercoltfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    EARTH.
    Posts
    2,258

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It might even hit NO again.


    This is terrible.
    Yeah no kidding. That's the last thing they need right now is another hurricane. Another cat. 5 Hurricane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

  5. #5
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,826

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by pacercoltfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah no kidding. That's the last thing they need right now is another hurricane. Another cat. 5 Hurricane.
    From weather.com:
    http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tr...=wxcenter_news
    If there is any good news at this point, it is the fact that it is very difficult for a hurricane to maintain category 5 status for an lengthy period of time. Near-perfect to perfect atmospheric conditions are necessary for a category 5 hurricane to exist and these "perfect" conditions are first - difficult to come by and second - do not remain in place for a long period of time. So although Rita is currently a category 5 hurricane, fluctuations in intensity is likely. That being said, it is almost a certainty that Rita will make landfall as a large, intense, major hurricane with impacts extending well away from the center.


    Hopefully it will weaken significantly before it makes landfall.......

  6. #6
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,962

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't all have female names, remember Andrew?
    They alternate, male, female, and skip Q.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  7. #7
    Member McClintic Sphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They alternate, male, female, and skip Q.
    yessuh, you are correct. Tropical storm Phillipe may be petering out as we type.

  8. #8
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,262
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't all have female names, remember Andrew?
    You're right, only the ones that come in, tear everything up, cause a lot of damage, cost a lot of money, and ruin lives have female names.






















































  9. #9
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Mother Nature seems to be determined to wipe the gulf coast clean off the map this year....Man we need to get her some Midol or something.

    Alright who pissed her off?

    Seriously though, I hope Rita weakens significantly, but I doubt it will drop below a cat 3 or 4 before it arrives and that is still a major hurricane that does major damage. Time to dig deep and help where we can....

  10. #10
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,311

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mother Nature seems to be determined to wipe the gulf coast clean off the map this year....Man we need to get her some Midol or something.

    Alright who pissed her off?

    Seriously though, I hope Rita weakens significantly, but I doubt it will drop below a cat 3 or 4 before it arrives and that is still a major hurricane that does major damage. Time to dig deep and help where we can....
    Ha! MOTHER Nature!

  11. #11
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,311

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Word is this thing is going to pretty much wipe out Galveston, and hit Houston HARD. Then, for an encore, it may finish the job on NO. I swear, it's like these damn things are hunting down all survivors of Katrina ala Final Destination. It would be funny if it weren't so tragic.

  12. #12
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,311

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They alternate, male, female, and skip Q.
    If they alternate, did I miss one between Katrina and Rita?

  13. #13
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,311

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right, only the ones that come in, tear everything up, cause a lot of damage, cost a lot of money, and ruin lives have female names.





















































    Precisely.

  14. #14
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right, only the ones that come in, tear everything up, cause a lot of damage, cost a lot of money, and ruin lives have female names.
    I guess that means Hugo and Andrew were transvestites.

  15. #15
    Member Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lafayette
    Age
    33
    Posts
    781

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they alternate, did I miss one between Katrina and Rita?
    You've missed Lee, Maria, Nate, Ophelia, and Philippe. Most of these appear not to have developed into hurricanes, but were just tropical storms or depressions.

  16. #16
    Member McClintic Sphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right, only the ones that come in, tear everything up, cause a lot of damage, cost a lot of money, and ruin lives have female names.
    Um, Andrew did that. Homestead Florida was wiped off the map by Andrew.




















































    [/QUOTE]

  17. #17
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,630

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Maybe it would be better if this thing changed course and went to New Orleans like Katrina. The place is already evacuated. There's going to have to be a massive rebuilding process anyway. Might as well just do it in one place (NOLA) instead of two (NOLA and Texas).

    Time for George to break out his weather control device again and steer that puppy north.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  18. #18
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,148

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe it would be better if this thing changed course and went to New Orleans like Katrina. The place is already evacuated. There's going to have to be a massive rebuilding process anyway. Might as well just do it in one place (NOLA) instead of two (NOLA and Texas).

    Time for George to break out his weather control device again and steer that puppy north.
    GWB obviously wanted NO gone as witnessed by the fact he sent the first hurricane there. This second hurricane should confirm that fact for anyone paying attention. Where are the majority of evacuees? Houston. So GWB sends another hurricane toward Houston. It's all so simple when you think about and enjoy a nice cold glass of Koolaid.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  19. #19
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,067
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They alternate, male, female, and skip Q.

    Actually:

    There are six 21 name lists. Each of those lists is used every six years on a rotation. Names not included are ones that begin with q, u, x, y, and z. If the 21 name list is exhausted throughout the year, then a storm is named from the Greek Alphabet (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, etc.)

  20. #20
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,148

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually:

    There are six 21 name lists. Each of those lists is used every six years on a rotation. Names not included are ones that begin with q, u, x, y, and z. If the 21 name list is exhausted throughout the year, then a storm is named from the Greek Alphabet (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, etc.)

    And big storms get their name retired.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  21. #21
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't all have female names, remember Andrew?
    Okay, female and british names.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, female and british names.
    Are you saying we should write the NHC and ask for Hurricane Bubba?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  23. #23
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,067
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you saying we should write the NHC and ask for Hurricane Bubba?

    I want to see a Hurricane Damien...

  24. #24
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Hurricane Rita

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want to see a Hurricane Damien...
    You mean daemon.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •