Latest headlines by topic:
    Sports
    Indiana Pacers
    NBA
    Detroit Pistons

Powered by Topix.net

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

Anthony Johnson, one of five Indiana Pacers charged with misdemeanor assault and battery after the Nov. 19 brawl with fans during a game against the Detroit Pistons, is expected in district court in Rochester Hills, Mich., today for jury selection.

Johnson's trial is expected to start next week.

Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson also are charged and will have pretrial hearings Sept. 23. A fifth Pacer, David Harrison, had his pretrial moved from Monday to early October, attorney Walter Piszczatowski said. Piszczatowski said Thursday that he hopes to have the pretrial hearing done before the Pacers open training camp Oct. 4.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson will go before Judge Julie Nicholson on Sept. 23. Formal charges are given, a plea can be entered and trial dates could be set during the pretrial.

The players may plead guilty, but that's unlikely because admitting guilt could be used in a civil lawsuit.

The penalty for each case is 93 days in jail and/or a $500 fine.

The brawl started when Artest went into the stands after a fan threw a beer cup on him at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: AJ's up first for court...

Everyone is supposed to have the right to a fare trial, hopefully all of them get one.

If basketball fandom is enough to bias our country's judicial system, then our nation has bigger problems then terrorism, polution, a declining education system, and a pollarized body politic.

Isn't it incredible that this issue still isn't completely settled? I mean, I knew our court system could be slow but strung through the timeline of a basketball season, it really seems like its moving like molasses

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone is supposed to have the right to a fare trial, hopefully all of them get one.

I'm hoping for a "fair" trial myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I'll bet 20 bucks that the judge won't replace a juror if he is season ticket holder to the Pistons.

So they'll all plead "No contest" and pay the max fine, along with a (tax-deductible) charitable contribution to Detroit NPOs.

Is that enough?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    So they'll all plead "No contest" and pay the max fine, along with a (tax-deductible) charitable contribution to Detroit NPOs.

Is that enough?
    Now that AJ has pleaded No Contest I am curious as to what the penalty will be. If the judges are all Pistons fans (and don't care about what is true and just) they will all get 90+ day sentences and $500 fine.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS01/50916045

Pacers' guard enters plea in Detroit brawl

The Indiana Pacers' Anthony Johnson pleaded no contest to a count of misdemeanor assault and battery for his role in the NBA brawl last season. -- Sam Riche / Star file photo

Related links
    Pacers-Pistons NBA brawl

Related news from the Web
    Latest headlines by topic:
    Sports
    Indiana Pacers
    NBA