Thread: ESPN week 3 power rankings

Default ESPN week 3 power rankings

And the Colts are number one. Hope this isnt a jinx, because it usually is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...on=2005&week=3

Power Rankings: New No. 1

ESPN.com

ESPN.com's Power Rankings
    This week's rankings were determined by a poll of ESPN.com's NFL staff -- writers John Clayton, Len Pasquarelli, Michael Smith, NFL Insider Jeremy Green, Scouts Inc., and ESPN.com NFL editors Peter Lawrence-Riddell and James C. Black.
    Just two weeks into the season and we have a new No. 1 in the rankings. With an improved defense that has allowed only 10 points in two games, the Colts took over the top spot from the Patriots (who dropped to No. 4). The Steelers and Eagles check in at No. 2 and No. 3, both moving up with impressive wins.

Three new teams entered the top 10 this week, led by the Bengals, who jumped from No. 12 to No. 7. Joining the Bengals are the Panthers (No. 8 from No. 14) and the Buccaneers (No. 10 from No. 19).

The Vikings are the biggest losers, dropping from No. 13 all the way to No. 27. The Vikings have dropped 23 spots in just two weeks. On to the rankings. To view last week's rankings, click here.

2005 Power Rankings: Week 3
    RK (LW)TEAMRECCOMMENT
    1 (2)Colts2-0-0It has to be a huge boost to the Colts to know they can win a game when Peyton Manning throws for only 122 yards.
    2 (3)Steelers2-0-0So, Ben Roethlisberger is going to struggle in his second year, huh? Well, a 153.6 passer rating after two games sure doesn't look like a struggle.
    3 (5)Eagles1-1-0One big game and everything is all smiles and high-fives again between McNabb and Owens in Philly.
    4 (1)Patriots1-1-0Just a sloppy game from the Patriots. Lots of penalties, poor special teams play, etc. -- not what you'd expect from the defending champs.
    5 (6)Chiefs2-0-0Two weeks into the season, they've failed to reach the 30-point mark ... and yet they're undefeated.
    6 (4)Falcons1-1-0Matt Schaub might have potential, but it goes without saying that the Falcons need Michael Vick healthy and in the lineup.
    7 (12)Bengals2-0-0After starting 1-4 in each of Marvin Lewis' first two seasons in Cincinnati, getting off to a fast start this year is huge.
    8 (14)Panthers1-1-0Panthers looked like they had a little chip on their shoulders Sunday and it worked, resulting in a big win over the Patriots.
    9 (7)Jaguars1-1-0Getting out of bed Monday morning couldn't have been any fun at all for Byron Leftwich.
    10 (19)Buccaneers2-0-0Looks like Jon Gruden has found the right running back for his offense.
    11 (17)Giants2-0-0Anyone who got Tiki Barber in their fantasy draft after 10 or 12 other RBs had already been picked got a steal.
    12 (18)Jets1-1-0Chad Pennington still doesn't look right, but the Jets still pulled out a needed win, and that's what is really important.
    13 (9)Bills1-1-0It'll be interesting to see how the QB situation unfolds in Buffalo. J.P. Losman is the QB of the future, but will they switch to Kelly Holcomb if he gives them a better chance to win now?
    14 (20)Broncos1-1-0Figures that if any team could get something out of Ron Dayne it would be the Broncos.
    15 (22)Seahawks1-1-0Seahawks are clearly a better team when Shaun Alexander is the focal point of the offense.
    16 (26)Redskins2-0-0So, apparently there was a pretty good reason the Redskins wanted to trade for Santana Moss.
    17 (8)Cowboys1-1-0Cowboys players and coaches must feel like they got punched in the gut.
    18 (10)Saints1-1-0The Giants were just the better team, but the Saints understandably looked worn down Monday night.
    19 (11)Chargers0-2-0He's still finding the end zone, but the Chargers need to get LaDainian Tomlinson (124 yards rushing, just 3.3 yards per carry, and no receptions) going at full speed.
    20 (21)Rams1-1-0It wasn't pretty, but any win on the road is a big deal for the Rams.
    21 (31)Bears1-1-0The Bears clearly have the best defense in the NFC North, which could be enough to get them to playoffs.
    22 (30)Titans1-1-0Talk about a dominating D. The Titans held Baltimore to 182 total yards and no first downs in the opening half.
    23 (23)Dolphins1-1-0The Dolphins aren't going to contend for a playoff spot, but they're clearly going to be more competitive than a lot of people thought.
    24 (16)Lions1-1-0Jeff Garcia's hurt, but that hasn't stopped some Lions fans from calling for Joey Harrington's backup. Only problem is that backup is rookie Dan Orlovsky.
    25 (15)Ravens0-2-0The Ravens aren't going to win many games when Jamal Lewis rushes for 9 yards on 10 carries.
    26 (24)Raiders0-2-0OK, so Moss was robbed of a TD, but they had numerous opportunities to win in Randy's home debut.
    27 (13)Vikings0-2-0Obviously he misses Randy Moss, but that can't completely explain a QB of Daunte Culpepper's caliber throwing eight INTs in two games.
    28 (32)Browns1-1-0The allure has worn off of road teams winning at Lambeau Field, but still an impressive first win for Romeo.
    29 (27)Cardinals0-2-0Two winnable games have resulted in two losses. Not the start Dennis Green anticipated.
    30 (25)Packers0-2-0With upcoming games vs. Tampa Bay, at Carolina, and vs. New Orleans, the Packers could put themselves in a hole that they can't dig out of.
    31 (28)49ers1-1-0Probably had no impact on Terrell Owens' play, but maybe Derek Smith should just keep his mouth shut next time.
    32 (29)Texans0-2-0They've already fired the offensive coordinator. Now the heat is all on the coach (Dom Capers) and the QB (David Carr).
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN week 3 power rankings

'bout time!
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Times like these make one happy the Colts play the Texans twice. Nevermind the fact the Ponies are also playing 'Zona and San Francisco this year as well. Of course, that's only fair when we'll also be playing the Steelers, Patriots, Chargers, and Bengals (Did I just list the Bengals as a strong opponent? I think I did.) later on this season.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

As much as I like this, I am a realist. I don't think we should be ranked #1 until our offense has gotten all the kinks worked out.

Maybe I just hate ESPN so much that I have to find a problem. Colts should be lower, and Pacers should be Higher. Yeah maybe I just hate ESPN

Bengals and Steelers have looked like world beaters but against lesser opponents so it's hard to gauge those two but they have looked almost flawless.

After playing against some of the tougher D's in the league. we should really see a lot more fluid offense this week. This could a breakout ,track meet game, ...or maybe we will see the Romeo really did have Manning's number and slow him down some, not all the way but enough to make it another day where we have to rely more heavily on the run.

Why Not Us ?

I think the Steelers should be 1. They look damn good. Even though the opponent was so so, they look reallly good.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As much as I like this, I am a realist. I don't think we should be ranked #1 until our offense has gotten all the kinks worked out.

Maybe I just hate ESPN so much that I have to find a problem. Colts should be lower, and Pacers should be Higher. Yeah maybe I just hate ESPN
    I'm a realist and I know that our offense will get on track. I just hope and pray that our Defense isn't teasing us.

The Steelers have now 3 very good rb's. Agaisnt them we need to be able to contain their running game and still put pressure on big Ben.

This is a Power Ranking i can agree with.

Steeler's ranking is deserved. Their test comes this weekend.
    :thepacers

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

We haven't been tested at all. Tennessee and Houston are bad teams.
    We're playing good smash mouth football and we're looking good defensively. But those teams are so soft up front that its hard to tell.

Our "game of the season" is this week, but its way too early for a "game of the season". Still, I figure that we'll beat NE this weekend but find yet another way to lose to them at home in the AFC Championship game.

I just can't figure out why a team coming off a 15-1 season and scheduled to play the NFC North was rated so low (#5) at the beginning of the season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does that mean we couldn't put a Week 3 ESPN Power Rankings banner up next year?
    Sorry btown, but that is out of the question.

ESPN 2005 week 3 power ranking champs in the house yeah boy suck on the fumes eat it dog diggity round house kickin yeee hawww!!!

CBS's Power Rankings, for comparison. And for Jay.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8869777

IndyToad
    Falling off a cliff

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure if it is more surprising to see the Colts at #1 or the Bengals at #7.