Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Garnett is a Pacer

Default Kevin Garnett is a Pacer

Okay, not really. We were discussing in another thread, amongst other things, a secret wish of mine that we trade JO for Garnett, adding players to make it work.

I started a separate thread cause I don't want to alter the gist of the thread/post the discussion came from.

Okay, here's a scenario for you:

:timberwolMinn, following the debacles of Sprewell and Cassell, The Wolves decide to reload, opting to build around another Supastar, who's contract is more cost friendly and in the process, pick up some talent other than the marginal players littering their roster to date. Setting themselves a window of 2-3 years player growth for a the team to gel for a title.

Realizing they may finally have secured an impact player at SG in the draft with Rashad McCants, a young, dynamic PG in Jaric, and a solid SF in Sczerbiak, they make an offer to the Pacers.

:thepacers Indiana, realizing that their unusual depth may be useful in securing the rights to one of the top 2-3 players in the entire league, look the offer over. Common thinking within the organization is that Bender is healthy (Bear with me, folks! ), Artest is a changed man, Croshere is a solid contributor and the Cabbage is the real deal. Looking over the depth chart, they come to realize that maybe addition by subtraction may be to their benefit. sacrificing a bit for the greater good.

(okay, I did a very quick scenario on RealGM based upon what I felt would be realistic and that would work financially. Two scenarios popped up. The most realistic, INHO, is the first one.)

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Kevin Garnett
    6-11 PF from Farragut Academy HS (IL)
    22.2 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 5.7 apg in 38.0 minutes
    Incoming
    Jermaine O'Neal
    6-11 PF from Eau Claire HS (SC)
    24.3 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.8 minutes
    Danny Granger
    6-8 from New Mexico
    No games yet played in 2004/05
    David Harrison
    7-0 C from Colorado
    6.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.7 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +8.2 ppg, -1.6 rpg, and -3.5 apg.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Danny Granger
    6-8 from New Mexico
    David Harrison
    7-0 C from Colorado
    Incoming
    Kevin Garnett
    Change in team outlook: -8.2 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and +3.5 apg.

In this scenario, the appeal for Minn is the youth and potential of Hulk and Danny. For us, it's getting a top 3 player, while still having the depth to fill our roster. For us,

PG Tinlsey/Cabbage
    SG Jackson/Freddie
    SF Artest/Croshere
    PF Garnett/Bender
    C Foster/Pollard

With available roster spots for a couple of C/PFs

Scenario two:

Outgoing
    Kevin Garnett
    Incoming
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Jamaal Tinsley
    6-3 PG from Iowa State
    15.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 6.4 apg in 32.5 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +17.5 ppg, -0.7 rpg, and +2.6 apg.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Jamaal Tinsley
    6-3 PG from Iowa State
    Incoming
    Kevin Garnett
    Change in team outlook: -17.5 ppg, +0.7 rpg, and -2.6 apg.

Although this is much cleaner, I don't think Minn would find it as appealling.

So, I'm curious. How many of you would do this trade?

(Now I'm basing this on the fact that I don't think JO is the guy to take us to a title. I mentioned as much at the forum get together. Not a popular sentiment, I know. Since this is my little fantasy, I was curious, if this were to happen, what you guys would think.)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Default Re: Kevin Garnett is a Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, not really. We were discussing in another thread, amongst other things, a secret wish of mine that we trade JO for Garnett, adding players to make it work.

I started a separate thread cause I don't want to alter the gist of the thread/post the discussion came from.

Okay, here's a scenario for you:

:timberwolMinn, following the debacles of Sprewell and Cassell, The Wolves decide to reload, opting to build around another Supastar, who's contract is more cost friendly and in the process, pick up some talent other than the marginal players littering their roster to date. Setting themselves a window of 2-3 years player growth for a the team to gel for a title.

Realizing they may finally have secured an impact player at SG in the draft with Rashad McCants, a young, dynamic PG in Jaric, and a solid SF in Sczerbiak, they make an offer to the Pacers.

:thepacers Indiana, realizing that their unusual depth may be useful in securing the rights to one of the top 2-3 players in the entire league, look the offer over. Common thinking within the organization is that Bender is healthy (Bear with me, folks! ), Artest is a changed man, Croshere is a solid contributor and the Cabbage is the real deal. Looking over the depth chart, they come to realize that maybe addition by subtraction may be to their benefit. sacrificing a bit for the greater good.

(okay, I did a very quick scenario on RealGM based upon what I felt would be realistic and that would work financially. Two scenarios popped up. The most realistic, INHO, is the first one.)

Outgoing
    Kevin Garnett
    Incoming
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Danny Granger
    6-8 from New Mexico
    David Harrison
    7-0 C from Colorado
    Change in team outlook: +8.2 ppg, -1.6 rpg, and -3.5 apg.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Danny Granger
    6-8 from New Mexico
    David Harrison
    7-0 C from Colorado
    Incoming
    Kevin Garnett
    Change in team outlook: -8.2 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and +3.5 apg.

In this scenario, the appeal for Minn is the youth and potential of Hulk and Danny. For us, it's getting a top 3 player, while still having the depth to fill our roster. For us,

PG Tinlsey/Cabbage
    SG Jackson/Freddie
    SF Artest/Croshere
    PF Garnett/Bender
    C Foster/Pollard

With available roster spots for a couple of C/PFs

Scenario two:

Outgoing
    Kevin Garnett
    Incoming
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Jamaal Tinsley
    6-3 PG from Iowa State
    Change in team outlook: +17.5 ppg, -0.7 rpg, and +2.6 apg.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Jamaal Tinsley
    6-3 PG from Iowa State
    Incoming
    Kevin Garnett
    Change in team outlook: -17.5 ppg, +0.7 rpg, and -2.6 apg.

Although this is much cleaner, I don't think Minn would find it as appealling.

So, I'm curious. How many of you would do this trade?

(Now I'm basing this on the fact that I don't think JO is the guy to take us to a title. I mentioned as much at the forum get together. Not a popular sentiment, I know. Since this is my little fantasy, I was curious, if this were to happen, what you guys would think.)
    Kevin Garnett is a great player, but he's not worth JO, Granger and Hulk. he's not even worth JO and Granger for this Pacers team.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

I don't think I'd trade Granger, DH and J.O.

What we would need to give up financially for him. Would not be worth it
    I know Garnett can put up the stats like very few.. but the intagibles like leadership which is a dire need for this team. i don't think he has. IMO

Maybe I am wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Why Not Us ?

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I don't think I'd trade Granger, DH and J.O.
    I wouldn't either.

Two years ago I would do the JO and Tins easily. Neither at this point knowing KG at the moment is in the back half of his prime. He becomes 30 in less than a year.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    What we would need to give up financially for him. Would not be worth it
    I know Garnett can put up the stats like very few.. but the intagibles like leadership which is a dire need for this team. i don't think he has. IMO

Maybe I am wrong, but that's the impression I get.
    See, I think the exact opposite. I think Garnett is a leader, but he keeps getting crap to work with. I think Garnett has helped revolutionize the position and has the no back down mindset we need.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

KG is a very strong leader, perhaps too strong. He can be a little tough on his teammates. But then again Jordan was also.

The key is to get the right players around him,

Garnett can stay in Minny...Let's see what our guys can do this year before we break out the C-4 and blow it all up for yet another unknown....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Threads like this make me angry. I don't like misleading opinion threads. How about, 'Hey guys, I think we should do this trade!'. If you make a stupid title like this, and someone like me, who actually comes here for information reads it and wastes his time clicking on it and seeing total garbage and crap, then I'm going to say something about it.

That would be an absolutely great trade for the Pacers, a top 10 player and 2 "rolls of the dice" for a top 3 player.

Let's review: KG is a better shooter, better rebounder, probably a better defender, tougher, more mature, more versatile, more unstoppable, less injury prone...

am I missing something else?

Sports Logo

No thanks. While I would love to see Garnett in a Pacer uniform I am not giving up Jamaal for him. Not am I giving up J.O. PLUS Granger and Harrison.

Counting on Bender to be healthy is just not a good idea even in a fantasy game.

If you could trade J.O. and Johnson I would do the deal in a heart beat. (even thought I just got that J.O. Retro.

I'd do them both...

maybe the first only after lots of alcohol, but, its a trade that you have to consider...

I believe JO straight up works so you could try that first and slowly sweeten the pot from there...

I don't know that you'd have to include Granger and Harrison at all and I might be hesitant to do both. I certainly wouldn't make that my first offer on the table.

Also, I believe due to the size of JO's contract and KG's contract that the Pacers could even do a trade like this and do a bit of a salary dump in the process depending on players involved. I could be wrong about that... I haven't crunched the numbers.

I already believe Tinsley is on the outside looking in so I doubt there'd be much hesitation from the TPTB (on the Pacers' side) to do the JO/JT for KG trade.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

sweabs

I'm all for trading JO. I'm with Skaut and Bball on this one...I've just never believed that he is the guy who can lead us to a championship. Garnett is one of the best players this league has ever seen. Hell yeah I'd look into something!

Skaut Ech,
    I always usually respect your viewpoints and agree with them often. On this one... Well this is an age old question on this website, KG for JO and some other change thrown in for stocking stuffers. My thing is, we're Pacers fans, and to a point I don't like trading marquee players. KG is a Timberwolf, he'll have his number retired a T-wolf, and more than likely given the number of years he's played there, he'll be remembered a T-wolf. I don't think I would enjoy it as much having won the thing with him as opposed to winning it with JO. JO, while not drafted a Pacer, has grown up a Pacer. He's someone I take pride in.
    Beyond that, I think KG isn't a very good leader. Argue as you may, he's not had a terrible cast around him, yet still rarely manages to get out of the 1st round. I mean, the guys around may be some head cases, but still they're decent respectable players. From Marbury, to Terrell Brandon, to Wally to Spree et al, he's not done much with his pieces. I'm not sure he's the great leader that I would go after that hard. I'm not saying he's bad, I think he's a great player, but I think we have a relatively comparable player here already in JO.

First, this would never happen, I don't care if we included JO + and the rest of this roster.

Second, I'd be a little wary giving up a lot for KG. He is shot once his athleticism is gone (a la DROB), and is near-30 already.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am SOOOOOOOO tired of hearing this stupid fing trade. It is never going to happen AND SHOULDN'T!!! LET IT GO!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart
    Threads like this make me angry. I don't like misleading opinion threads. How about, 'Hey guys, I think we should do this trade!'. If you make a stupid title like this, and someone like me, who actually comes here for information reads it and wastes his time clicking on it and seeing total garbage and crap, then I'm going to say something about it.
    I agree, misleading thread titles make me angry.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

As far as it being a misleading thread, give the guy a break. All you have to do is scroll the thread title to get a synopsis of the first few lines. I don't think he did it to make anyone intentionally angry.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indiana31
    As far as it being a misleading thread, give the guy a break. All you have to do is scroll the thread title to get a synopsis of the first few lines. I don't think he did it to make anyone intentionally angry.
    Yeah, but I'm talking about the title of the thread, not whats in it. The title says, "Kevin Garnett is a Pacer". Like it really happened. It had me a little excited because it sounded like big news, and at this time of the year, any kind of big news NBA-wise is scarce.

I'm not mad, no. So, don't think that. I just hate being teased.......
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I think my new sig. (courtesy of Mark Boyle) says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    I think my new sig. (courtesy of Mark Boyle) says it all.
    2 things:

1. I've seen Skaut. I don't think you want to mess with him.....
    2. I'm sure he has connections with the Connersville PD. Don't be surprised to notice an increased police presence in your life........

I read what Mark B posted on trade rumors, and in general I agree with him, 99% of trade rumors that are thought up in this forum are a waste of time.

However in this case I think this is a little different, this is more of a discussion on the relative merits of J.O and KG and just what we would be willing to give up to get KG.

Oh and Scott H is a great poster and he rarely posts trade rumors