Thread: Jags lost their cool in the heat of battle

Default Jags lost their cool in the heat of battle

Some interesting allegations in here regarding Colts D-line coach and those "hand gestures" Leftwich made towards the Colt's sidlines Sunday:

The Florida Times-Union

September 19, 2005

Jags lost their cool in heat of brutal battle

He is treated like a human banana split -- one leg at 12 o'clock and the other at six. Then he gets up. He suffers a direct helmet-to-helmet hit from Dwight Freeney, who flew through the air like a caped superhero, a torpedo in shoulder pads, and then he gets up.

That should be his theme song: I'm woozy, I'm bruised, but give me a minute to reattach my knee, and remove the cobwebs from my head, because I'll be back. Because I always get up.

Byron Leftwich wobbles but he doesn't fall down.

If his beating at the hands of Colts defenders was any worse, someone would have been forced to call the State Police.

In a sport that soaks in violence on weekly basis, this was a particularly bloodied contest, even by NFL standards. Helmets flew, jaws were rattled, and knees were shattered. Leftwich again demonstrated the kind of toughness you want to see in a young thrower.

If I was forced to choose only one person to watch my back in a dark alley, it would be Leftwich, because he is harder to intimidate than a Sopranos lieutenant.

--------------------------------------------------

The only thing that failed Leftwich was his composure and he was not alone. The Jaguars cracked at moments when they needed to be cool, lost their wits when Jordan-like iciness was required.

The defense made Peyton Manning look like John Peyton, but gave up a crucial 17-play, 88-yard drive to the Colts in the fourth quarter. Paul Spicer, the smart veteran, was called for roughing the passer late in the game. Deon Grant was so upset over a call he had to be pulled away from the face of a game official.

Champions don't make these kinds of mistakes in big games at big moments.

Leftwich's lapse was so out of character for him, it is still difficult to believe it happened. When Colts defensive line coach John Teerlinck made a comment to Leftwich that the quarterback felt was inappropriate, Leftwich temporarily lost his mind.

He walked toward the Colts sideline, cursed at Teerlinck, and then made an obscene gesture. (Let's just say it was a form of sign language.) By doing so, he risked an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Then, just a few seconds later, Leftwich again informed Teerlinck he was No. 1, using the same obscene gesture after Teerlinck, who is known in football for teaching his linemen questionable tactics, verbally responded to Leftwich's initial use of the gesture.

After the game, when meeting with the media, Leftwich handled the situation with his usual humor and class, joking that Teerlinck simply complimented him on his quarterbacking skills.

"He started it though," Leftwich made sure to point out.

Just as Leftwich does not like to stay on the ground no matter how brutal a hit he suffers because of his belief that it can demoralize the offense, the team also cannot see its quarterback go Russell Crowe on someone. Leftwich is human and things happen in the heat of a game but the QB must be the coolest of them all, almost no matter the circumstances. He sets the tone.

We will not see Leftwich lose his head like that again. He's too smart. He learns from his mistakes.

But will the rest of the team do the same?

mike.freemanjacksonville.com, (904) 359-4377

also:

Kick returner-wide receiver Chad Owens, who was a sensation in training camp but fell out of favor when he started dropping punts, was waived by the Jaguars Monday.

This story can be found on Jacksonville.com at http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...spf_mike.shtml.

Default Re: Jags lost their cool in the heat of battle

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate when people write about things they didn't watch.
    This is the part that jumped out at me, you can't just make allegations like this with absolutely no justification:

Teerlinck, who is known in football for teaching his linemen questionable tactics

WTF!? You mean like treating opposing linemen like turnstyles?

If you are looking for dirty offensive and defense lines, go to Denver. They like to routinely teach the cut block.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    This is the part that jumped out at me, you can't just make allegations like this with absolutely no justification:

Teerlinck, who is known in football for teaching his linemen questionable tactics

WTF!? You mean like treating opposing linemen like turnstyles?
    and turing quarterbacks into human pretzels

Is this guy really paid to write that dribble? That has to be one of the worst displays of writing I have ever seen. Can that guy buy a decent analogy? Just plain horrible, looks like some thirteen year old trying desperately to liven up his writing with tacky pop-culture references.

And I agree, next time watch the game you are writing about.

MarcD
    "Because clever got me this far, then tricky got me in..."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really didn't find it to be too bad until the remark about the "questionable tactics." Who knows him for this? Who has said this? Whats an example of a questionable tactic?

This is borderline libel. How can you make these accusations about a man's character without providing any source of evidence?
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bud Light Presents – Real Men of Genius
    (Real Men of Genius)
    Today we salute you, Mr. Delusional Jags Fan Troller
    (Mr. Delusional Jags Fan Troller)
    Your team may be down by three games in the division
    But that won’t stop you from acting like they’re undefeated.
    (we’re actually 12-0!)
    Erratic offense?
    Of course it’ll drop 40 on the Colts.
    (I started watching football in August)
    And you know you’ll hold that Colts offense to 0 points
    Because if there’s one thing you know, it’s disregarding any semblance of football rationale.
    (The Jags deserve 12 Pro Bowlers!)
    Only you have the…unique…vision to call a 12-0 team overrated
    (9-3 is so much better!)
    So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, you teal troll of tacky tumult.
    Because when it comes to not knowing anything, you know the most.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

(Real Men of Genius)
    (we’re actually 12-0!)
    Erratic offense?
    Because if there’s one thing you know, it’s disregarding any semblance of football rationale.
    (9-3 is so much better!)

Excellent.

(Real Men of Genius)
    (we’re actually 12-0!)
    Erratic offense?
    (9-3 is so much better!)

That is the funniest thing I have ever read. You need to post more often, btown.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I wish I could take credit for it, but I found it on RATS.
    You should still post more often!

Is anyone else mildly offended about all the ***** talking the Jags have been doing this week? It seems that they need to break us (the Colts) down in order to justify their own legitimacy.

Yes, they always play us tough. Yes, they are a good team. NO, they shouldn't be dogging the Colts as overrated at 12-and f**king-0.

I really hope the Cotls stick it up their a$$es tomorrow. I mean a serious beatdown. 63-0 would be just fine. Of course, that wouldn't be very professional, so you know it won't happen....Maybe 35-0!!

I'm trying to take them lightly; I think our players have done a good job thus far with not overlooking any team. I hope it continues. I would really be miffed if we lose to the Jags after all that has been said by them this week.....

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    You should still post more often!

Is anyone else mildly offended about all the ***** talking the Jags have been doing this week? It seems that they need to break us (the Colts) down in order to justify their own legitimacy.

Yes, they always play us tough. Yes, they are a good team. NO, they shouldn't be dogging the Colts as overrated at 12-and f**king-0.

I really hope the Cotls stick it up their a$$es tomorrow. I mean a serious beatdown. 63-0 would be just fine. Of course, that wouldn't be very professional, so you know it won't happen....Maybe 35-0!!

I'm trying to take them lightly; I think our players have done a good job thus far with not overlooking any team. I hope it continues. I would really be miffed if we lose to the Jags after all that has been said by them this week.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmons
    Don't you get the feeling that the Colts are sitting around reading these "Nobody plays them toughter than the Jags" stories, snickering to themselves, and preparing to dish out an absolute beating this Sunday. Ever since that Pats game, they have a swagger that I can't remember seeing before -- culminating in that goofy halftime play last week when Manning flipped the ball to the ref, then tried to run back to the line of scrimmage to get off one more play. I'm telling you, Manning has gone insane -- he wants to destroy everyone. And he just might.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Dirty *******s. They truly are dirty.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree they are dirty *** punks.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

The league office is going to be in contact with the Jags on multiple occasions this week, no doubt. A few idiots are going to lose some of that poorly-deserved pay.

It was a thing of beauty, to see the Colts able to mentally disable a team before they even stepped onto the field. Jacksonville (in part thanks to their no-talent hack of a coach) was never prepared for this game.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

It's amazing how far the Colts have come. When I saw that jackass push a Colt's face into the mud with two hands, it just hit me just how badly we set other teams off now. It's like we were never meant to do this in any of the "tough" teams' eyes, and it pisses them off.

sweabs

And we saw why I've never lost a minute of sleep over possibly playing the Jags in the playoffs. Loads of talent, absolutely no coaching.
    Agreed. As evidenced in the last 2:00 minutes quite clearly from todays game!