Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Live In Any State....Which Would It Be?

Default If You Could Live In Any State....Which Would It Be?

I've always wondered about this as there are so many States I haven't been to yet. What would your choice be out of all the States you have or have not visited? I've always been intrigued by the Northwest states(despite the rain and never have been there). States like Oregon and Washington. You can even list the city or town you would want to live in as well.
    Last edited by presto123; 12-24-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Default Re: If You Could Live In Any State....Which Would It Be?

Washington & Oregon would be good year round options in my opinion. No extreme heat or cold, plenty of outdoor recreation options, access to some big city amenities and of course great beer. Been there a few times and really enjoyed it.

If I did it right I have retirement on the horizon in roughly 10-12 years so this kind of thing is on my mind. If the $$$ allow I'm thinking of staying in MN 7-8 months of the year (tough to beat summer and fall here) and then head somewhere in the Southwest that has good golf and some other things to do outside the rest of the year. Maybe SW Utah.

if money was no option- Oregon, specifically Portland.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Everyone considering the pacific northwest should read this article. That area seems to be due for a massive earthquake.
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...really-big-one

Hawaii
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Portland is also very appealing to me, and a potential reality. My company has an office in Portland and it doesn't really matter where I do my job as long as I'm connected to the internet. It's not like I'm directly connected to our servers anyway. I'm in Bloomington and our servers are at a colo in Indy.

Also, I have a lot of friends in Oregon, although they are mostly located in Bend. Seriously, in 9 months after I've gotten 3 years in and I'm vested in our Employee Stock Ownership Program, I'm going to pitch the idea of letting me transfer to either Portland or Denver.

Isn't it crazy how almost everybody has said Northwest. I thought I would be the only one. I was sure there would be some Florida's, Carolina's, or California's in there.

Florida's not all that, I live here all the time. Take right now for example it's only 27 degrees Celsius.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Florida's not all that, I live here all the time. Take right now for example it's only 27 degrees Celsius.
    Heck it is only 26 down here in Texas. The people at the beach could barely enjoy the water.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Just about every part of the country has natural hazards, some maybe worse than others. Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

I don't plan on leaving California. I'd do Hawaii, but probably only for a few years. I've come to really love Sacramento. City is on the rise, we've got great beer, great food, no snow and not nearly as expensive as the bay. Not to mention easy to get to the bay, Tahoe, and LA is a short flight away

Euphoria.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

I would like to move to the west coast, Hawaii or parts of Florida and the south towards the coast. They say living near an ocean is good for people with cystic fibrosis. I have heard good things about California and Oregon.

Not planning on leaving New York but if I ever had to I'd want to move to California. Specifically L.A.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hawaii would not be a fun place to live. Great to visit, but it's too isolated and sports come on at bizarre times.

If I had an unlimited budget.....

New York penthouse apartment with a condo in Miami Beach that I could jet back and forth to.

Nothing in the US comes remotely close to the energy and importance of NYC. I've also grown to despise cold weather over the years and just love the beautiful beaches of Florida.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

As someone who has lived there, I can't overemphasize how depressing the weather in Portland is from October-May.

This season is for Travis ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Been very curious about the northwest also, but Seattle specifically. Really want to at least visit.

Another place I've been kind of exploring moving to is North Carolina. You're near the water, not quite in the south, and it seems like they have some seasons, but they are a little more moderate than the Midwest.

Sports Logo

I think I would be happy to never see snow or ice on the roads again. I lived in Florida (Lakeland) for a year and loved it. Too much family to leave now that the daughter is married and is expecting (I am going to be a grandpa!!!) so we wont be moving back there but man it was better than here in the winter to say the least.

If I had an unlimited budget and unlimited time on my hands, I'd rather be on the West Coast because it is so much easier to be a sports fan over there with the time zones being as they are. I'd probably buy a nice house in an upscale LA suburb like Marina Del Ray and have a cottage somewhere in Oregon or Washington state.

More realistically, I hope to somehow upgrade from this tiny apartment in downtown DC and buy a house in a nice burb, and eventually get a little property or timeshare in Outer Banks, NC.

I think Florida is criminally overrated unless you really hate cold weather and have to live on the East Coast. Outside of Miami and Naples a lot of the state suffers from a lot of extreme poverty and crime. Orlando is nice enough but I would not want to live close to Disney. Plus, I really like living around history and there just isn't as much as it in Florida is there are in a lot of other places. However, the good thing about Florida is that it can be extremely cheap, much cheaper than the West Coast if you want to escape the cold.

New York is alright but I like DC better. Yeah, there isn't as much to do here and the city isn't trendy, but it is still "cooler" than most of the United States and the big crowds and traffic aren't as big of a problem.
    Last edited by idioteque; 12-29-2015 at 01:10 PM.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Alaska. Some place where sustenance living is practiced, even if it's cold as **** for half the year.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    If I had an unlimited budget and unlimited time on my hands, I'd rather be on the West Coast because it is so much easier to be a sports fan over there with the time zones being as they are. I'd probably buy a nice house in an upscale LA suburb like Marina Del Ray and have a cottage somewhere in Oregon or Washington state.

More realistically, I hope to somehow upgrade from this tiny apartment in downtown DC and buy a house in a nice burb, and eventually get a little property or timeshare in Outer Banks, NC.

I think Florida is criminally overrated unless you really hate cold weather and have to live on the East Coast. Outside of Miami and Naples a lot of the state suffers from a lot of extreme poverty and crime. Orlando is nice enough but I would not want to live close to Disney. Plus, I really like living around history and there just isn't as much as it in Florida is there are in a lot of other places. However, the good thing about Florida is that it can be extremely cheap, much cheaper than the West Coast if you want to escape the cold.

New York is alright but I like DC better. Yeah, there isn't as much to do here and the city isn't trendy, but it is still "cooler" than most of the United States and the big crowds and traffic aren't as big of a problem.
    Dry heat is the best heat.

We used to go to Florida every year for vacation back when i lived in PA. Its nice, but definitely prefer the West Coast.

Also no one wants to live in PA???? Shocking.

Mood

I entertained thoughts of Alaska when I was younger, but I have cooled on the idea. My wife wants to live in Florida, but I don't want to be that close to the Ocean, so ideally I'd say a semi-secluded place in the inland south east (GA, SC, NC, TN, VA, etc) where it's warmer.

Rationally, I would go wherever gainful employement is available. I'd live in ND, if I wasn't stuck in the seasonal buisness that I am in now.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    As someone who has lived there, I can't overemphasize how depressing the weather in Portland is from October-May.
    So you lived in Portland during the NBA season.

I love Portland, but there's no way I could do clouds/rain for that long. It's a great place to visit for a couple weeks though...top 5 city for me.

Personally I think it's very difficult to beat California. Expenses are high and people are ok, but otherwise it's a great place to be. Great climate, great food, great places to go, etc.

I'm curious about Oklahoma City and love Austin, but not sure about the rest of OK and TX. Florida is great too if you don't mind the humidity. I like the Atlantic beaches a lot more than the Pacific.

I love Minnesota too.

But it's Indiana for me, and I love it here. Family.

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    Been very curious about the northwest also, but Seattle specifically. Really want to at least visit.

Another place I've been kind of exploring moving to is North Carolina. You're near the water, not quite in the south, and it seems like they have some seasons, but they are a little more moderate than the Midwest.
    I thought the same thing, then I went to North Carolina...it's definitely the South.