Thread: Craig Ferguson stepping down at end of year.

Default Craig Ferguson stepping down at end of year.

Dangit, I enjoy his show. I guess I'll start going to bed earlier.

Late-night television has one more opening: Craig Ferguson announced on his CBS show Monday night that he will leave “The Late Late Show” at the end of the year.

Mr. Ferguson, whose contract was scheduled to end at that time, took the issue into his own hands and informed CBS executives that he would make the announcement Monday night. Mr. Ferguson has been the host of the CBS 12:35 a.m. show since January 2005.

Mr. Ferguson said in a statement, “CBS and I are not getting divorced, we are ‘consciously uncoupling,’ but we will still spend holidays together and share custody of the fake horse and robot skeleton, both of whom we love very much,” referring to two favorite props on the show.

The move comes a little more than three weeks after David Letterman announced that he would be leaving his own 11:35 p.m. late-night show on CBS and concluding his late-night career at the end of his contract next year. CBS moved quickly to name his replacement, Stephen Colbert of Comedy Central’s “Colbert Report.”

At that time, questions arose about Mr. Ferguson’s future at CBS, because he did not get a shot at succeeding Mr. Letterman. In subsequent days, the CBS chief executive, Leslie Moonves, said, “12:30 is up in the air” in an interview with Bloomberg News, and suggested the network was looking at multiple candidates for “The Late Late Show” and that “a woman would be great” for the role.

That quote signaled that network most likely had other plans for the show beyond Mr. Ferguson. Several reports have also indicated that CBS previously had preliminary talks about the 12:35 host role with candidates that included John Oliver and Neil Patrick Harris.

Mr. Ferguson, Scottish by birth, became an American citizen in 2008. He won considerable critical praise during his CBS tenure for his quick wit and intelligence, and his often perceptive interviews.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/29/bu...year.html?_r=0

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Craig Ferguson stepping down at end of year.

Never really got into Ferguson.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Never laughed at anything that guy ever said.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Here's his announcement. This is not a good year for late night tv.

His humor wasn't exactly my style. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a funny guy, but a little too..I dunno, zany I guess. But I give him massive credit for making something outta nothing, cuz that's what 12:30 on CBS was, and at least mixing up the format. Guy did his monologues completely off the cuff right? That's impressive as hell. Go be funny for 8 minutes 5 days a week off the top.

I think Ferguson has lost a little energy. FWIW I think he's gained some weight recently too. Maybe it's all connected...
    I don't think he's been helped by Letterman mailing his own show in for a while now. Not exactly a good lead in for the type of show Ferguson has. Couple that with his own age. And now then the realization that not only was he not moving into the 'big chair' at the Ed Sullivan Theater, but that CBS was talking aloud about new hosts for his own show. That'll zap your spirit quickly!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

The successor to Craig Ferguson has been announced. James Corden. Who?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...show/15275693/

CBS has added the final piece to its late-night makeover, replacing Scottish host Craig Ferguson with British actor James Corden at the Late Late Show, which airs weeknights at 12:37 a.m. ET/PT.

Corden, 36, is unknown to many American viewers, but has appeared in films (Begin Again, the upcoming Into the Woods), won a Tony in 2012 as lead actor in Broadway's One Man, Two Guvnors, co-created British TV comedy Gavin and Staceyand wrote and stars in BBC's The Wrong Mans, available on Hulu. He also has a large social media presence.

CBS Entertainment chairman (and Broadway fan) Nina Tassler was his enthusiastic champion, and says they met a year ago when Corden pitched a sitcom to the network. "He sings, he dances, he's done years of sketch comedy," she says. "You just can't take your eyes off him." He's also, she says, "comedically fearless, and in this climate you need someone who's willing to take risks."

CBS has not yet named a producer or any details of Corden's Late Late Show, which is expected to debut early next year, but Tassler says Corden wants a more "intimate" show than is typical in late night. "He wants the audience to perhaps be a little more involved."

Corden, who signed a contract for more than two years, says in a statement: "I can't describe how thrilled and honored I am to be taking over from the brilliant Craig Ferguson. To be asked to host such a prestigious show on America's No. 1 network is hugely exciting. I can't wait to get started, and will do my very best to make a show America will enjoy."

Tassler says CBS met with "a number of diverse candidates," including female comedians, but chose Corden because "ultimately, he just blew us away." And she says she's not concerned with his obscurity to American viewers: "Audiences like to be part of the discovery process" for new talent.

Ferguson, 52, is stepping down in mid-December after 10 years, as his contract ends and CBS chose Stephen Colbert to succeed David Letterman as host of its Late Show. Ferguson is averaging 1.3 million viewers this season (compared to 1.6 million for NBC's Late Night with Seth Meyers), and trails significantly among young-adult viewers, a category in which Ferguson merely matches NBC's Last Call with Carson Daly, which airs an hour later. The eventual Colbert-Corden team is aimed at reaching a younger and larger audience than the current lineup. Since taking over for Jay Leno last February, Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show has increased NBC's late-night dominance.

Letterman, the reigning late-night legend, has not revealed the timing of his departure from the network, which he joined in 1993, but is expected to step down next spring. Colbert, who wraps up Comedy Central's Colbert Report in December, will likely join CBS' lineup next fall.

Ferguson is keeping busy, hosting Celebrity Name Game, a syndicated game show due Sept. 22. He's also in talks to host an early-evening half-hour talk show in 2016, also to be syndicated to local stations.
    I'm looking forward to Craig's half-hour talk show. He basically does a half hour of monologue and tweeties and then a half hour with guests as it is. So if they boil that down to just a half hour with a single guest then we'll still have the best part of his show.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't wait until all these talk shows are dead.

The format is getting a little stale. Or maybe saturated is the more proper term.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The format is getting a little stale. Or maybe saturated is the more proper term.
    Dear Lord they could put in another Kardashian or reality show. In that case stale tastes good.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post: