Thread: Hacked Laptop Question

Default Hacked Laptop Question

My laptop was hacked into yesterday and all my files are encrypted by C T B Locker until I pay 3 bit coins.

Has anyone had this issue or have any suggestions?

Paying the roughly $690 is not an option, we simple don't have that amount of money available to us.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hacked Laptop Question

You aint gonna like my answer, but when dealing with that kind of bug, if you don't have a backup, you are pretty much ****ed and have to rebuild the PC.

You might have a chance recovering from Shadow Copies, but it's a crapshoot at best.

http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/20...virus-and.html
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I knew it was going to be bad.

Thanks for the info.

Are you sure your laptop is actually hacked? And that's not just crafty malware trying to get you to pay money? When I used to still have a Windows laptop, there was some malware a few years back that purported to lock your computer ("RIAA notice" or something) until you paid money. Got rid of that pretty quickly with Malwarebytes and a removal tool, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you sure your laptop is actually hacked? And that's not just crafty malware trying to get you to pay money? When I used to still have a Windows laptop, there was some malware a few years back that purported to lock your computer ("RIAA notice" or something) until you paid money. Got rid of that pretty quickly with Malwarebytes and a removal tool, if I recall correctly.
    Those were easy to clear. This generation of malware actually does encrypt your files and only unencrypts them if the ransom is paid (and they actually do unencrypt them in most crypto-malware cases). It's not fun to deal with, and if you don't have a backup, you are ****ed.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You aint gonna like my answer, but when dealing with that kind of bug, if you don't have a backup, you are pretty much ****ed and have to rebuild the PC.
    Rebuild the PC? That doesn't make sense to me. I would think a reformat would do, and worse case a new harddrive would suffice.

That's what I mean. Your are going to have to rebuild one's Windows installation from scratch. I've seen these ****ers in action, and they aint playing around. If you do not have a backup, you either pay the ransom or you are ****ed. Bottom line.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: