Thread: The Joe Six Pack Thread

Default The Joe Six Pack Thread

An ordinary man; specifically : a blue-collar worker

Well the above is Webster's definition but for this thread a Joe Six Pack person (like me) is someone who is a little out of touch with some technology and maybe a little stubborn to adapt or try a leap of faith sometimes on something new. This thread will be simply advice you can give to the Joes in the world that solves problems, simplistic at heart, and you've tested or had experience with it.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Default Re: The Joe Six Pack Thread

Here's looking at you/me Joe.

Mrs. RWB and I are really into movies and have been for many years. About 12 years ago we converted a basement area into a home theater with theater seating, popcorn machine, and a 120" movie screen. Made the mistake of being an earlier adopter of HD DVD so I'm not completely Joe 6 but everyone knows how to hook up a dvd player.

Well I'm now getting into the streaming part of movies in the cloud to my blu-ray players. I don't do portable devices and shoot my phone still is the old fashioned flip phone only. I'm cheap, have no interest in texting, and still prefer to talk to an actual person.

Back on topic. Well our modem and router are on the top floor of the house (2 story) and is built into a hill. I bought a wifi extender so we could stream HD to the various players in the house. All well and good except we could never get what we needed for the basement theater room. Things would buffer even on standard def and I was at a point I figured well I guess we'll be only popping in blu-rays down there (actually I do most of the time anyway).

Damn... while posting my computer had a hiccup and lost the rest of my post...

Major shortened version....Bottom line for other Joes out there. If you're having serious problems skip trying to buy the most expensive extender hoping that will cure your ails. I was advised to get a powerline adapter and it has worked like a charm. Getting my 1080p movies with never a hiccup ever. It was all plug and play and only $40 bucks to boot.
    Last edited by RWB; 01-20-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....