Thread: NBA.COM Power Rankings

Default NBA.COM Power Rankings

TEAM2004-05.BREAKDOWN
    San Antonio
    59-23If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Spurs held steady (and nabbed Finley!) with the team that earned the O'Brien trophy. Come Nov. 1, they'll put on their rings and begin the title defense.
    Miami
    59-23The trade that ushered in Walker, Williams and Posey makes the Heat the East's best team on paper and your computer screen.
    Detroit
    54-28Does Larry Brown deserve credit for the team's success the last two years? Or the players? New coach Flip Saunders has the same squad at his disposal, so we'll soon find out.
    Houston
    51-31Houston adds D.A. to the backcourt and Stro' to the frontcourt. With Yao and T-Mac, the Rockets will be in the hunt for the West's best record.
    Denver
    49-33George Karl took over and the Nugs were suddenly one of the best teams in the second-half. With the same team returning, they should remain near the top this season.
    Indiana
    44-38Artest's return alone makes this team better. Add Jasikevicius to a healthy O'Neal and Tinsley and the Pacers could make a run at the Heat and Pistons this season.
    Phoenix
    62-20The Spurs proved to the Suns that defense does indeed win championships. So, in search of more defense, did Phoenix let too much of its offense slip away?
    Sacramento
    50-32The Kings look strong on paper. But that's not where games are played. The main question is: Can Abdur-Rahim or Wells display the unselfishness customary of this team?
    Dallas
    58-24Only Dirk remains from the trio that led Big D to a 60-win season in 2002-03, and he'll be counted on to shoulder the burden this season. It could be a long season.
    Cleveland
    42-40Given all the team's offseason moves, there is no reason -- I repeat, no reason -- the Cavaliers finish out of the playoff picture this year.
    New Jersey
    42-40With Kidd, Carter and Jefferson healthy and on the floor together all season, is there anybody who can challenge the Nets for the Atlantic crown?
    Seattle
    52-30Re-signing Ray was huge. So was losing McMillan, Daniels and James. The Sonics are likely to find themselves looking up at Denver in the Northwest.
    Washington
    45-37Filling the hole left by Hughes will be difficult, considering the Wizards were 10-11 without Hughes last season. Daniels, Butler and Atkins, though, will serve as capable replacements.
    Philadelphia
    43-39With Mo Cheeks guiding Philly, C-Webb should gel better than last year. The development of Sam Dalembert and Andre Iguodala will have the Sixers back in the playoffs.
    Boston
    45-37The C's are a tough read. The growth of Allen, Jefferson and West could have the team looking good. Then again, their youth could have them heading for summer vacation early.
    Golden State
    34-48The Warriors came on strong late when Baron Davis came on board, but it was too little too late. If he stays healthy -- a considerable if -- the team could make a serious playoff push.
    Chicago
    47-35Next to the Suns, the Bulls were the biggest surprise last year. The young team will have a tough time keeping pace this season, but is on the right track for future success.
    Minnesota
    44-38Sprewell and Cassell are out in favor of Marko Jaric and rookie Rashad McCants. That alone should bring back some of the team's chemistry.
    Milwaukee
    30-52Maybe Larry Harris should've bought a Powerball ticket, too. Landing Bogut, re-signing Redd, signing Simmons and getting Ford back on the court should yield a minimum of 7-9 more Ws.
    New York
    33-49Hope returns to MSG with new coach Larry Brown, but how will he and Stephon Marbury co-exist? Look for Steph's move to the two and the Knicks to finish shy of .500.

L.A. Clippers
    37-45Last year was promising for the Clips, kings of the Staples Center. They'll likely take the inter-city title again, but the additions of Cassell and Mobley probably won't add much to the win column.
    Memphis
    45-37There was a mass exodus in Memphis this summer -- Swift, Wells, Williams, Posey, etc. What does that mean for the team? They'll likely miss the playoffs but get stronger for future years.
    L.A. Lakers
    34-48The Lakers may need more than Phil Jackson to solve the team's ills. They missed the playoffs for the first time since 1994 and could repeat the feat this year.
    Orlando
    36-46Expectations are high for Grant Hill after weathering a healthy season. Howard is still young, Francis will man the two and questions surround the point guard position.
    Utah
    26-56Kirilenko missed a bundle of time and Carlos Boozer spent his share of time injured, too, but the team will move up this year with a capable rookie holding down the point.
    Toronto
    33-49Chris Bosh continues his transition to one of the game's top power forwards, but the Raptors will still bring up the rear in the Atlantic.
    Portland
    27-55The Blazers youth movement virtually ensures a promising future for the club ... it just won't materialize this season.
    Atlanta
    13-69The Hawks have plenty of youth and potential, but even the addition of Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams won't translate to many more victories than last season.
    Charlotte
    18-64The Bobcats were better than anybody could have expected last season. They won't shock the world this year, but they'll continue to build and get better.
    New Orleans
    18-64Focus in this city is on anything but hoops, but when the Hornets put the wraps on the 2005-06 season, they're likely to be somewhere near the bottom of the standings.

http://www.nba.com/features/power_rankings_sept05.html

These are just plain awful.

Default Re: NBA.COM Power Rankings

Yes! We're the underdog again!

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sacto at 8????? Put the Pacers up a couple and drop Sacramento. Boston is too high as well.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Houston and Denver? What a joke.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Houston and Denver? What a joke.

The NBA loves the pacers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's horrible.

HA! Houston and Denver...Yao Ming is soft and Carmelo is a headcase. Nuff said.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Houston adds D.A. to the backcourt and Stro' to the frontcourt. With Yao and T-Mac, the Rockets will be in the hunt for the West's best record.
    Wow. Somebody needs to throw the Billy Madison quote at that one, cause I'm scared if I read any more it will adversely affect my intelligence.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    HA! Houston and Denver...Yao Ming is soft and Carmelo is a headcase. Nuff said.
    HA! Indiana...Jermaine O'Neal is soft and Ron is a headcase. Nuff said.

Sorry, devil's advocate.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't agree with those very much.

Denver?

We're behind Denver?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I don't even agree with the bottom half of that list, let alone the top.

Mood

Wow, Denver............
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

"Next to the Suns, the Bulls were the biggest surprise last year. The young team will have a tough time keeping pace this season, but is on the right track for future success."

1.) The Sonics were by far the biggest surprise last year... duh...
    2.) Neither the Suns nor Bulls were that surprising... mostly just recovering from underacheiving seasons in years past...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    .google

I just saw that the other day. It was actually on while my girl and I were engaged in some se.................

anyways, per request:

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    Anyone noticed how this clown put the Bulls below the Celtics btw?

Anyway, I like our relatively "low" position... I hope all other rankings do the same!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Anyway, I like our relatively "low" position... I hope all other rankings do the same!
    They aren't. Every pre-season prediction has picked either the Pacers or the Heat to come out of the East. I haven't seen one pick the Pistons yet.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    They aren't. Every pre-season prediction has picked either the Pacers or the Heat to come out of the East. I haven't seen one pick the Pistons yet.
    Hmm... I don't like that!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Pimping31

Just wow those rankings are very horrible what ticks me off is that Denver and Houston are up so high.