Thread: Breaking News - Artest suspended

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Breaking News - Artest suspended

NBA suspends Artest for tonight's game

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    March 19, 2004

Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest will miss tonight's game with Sacramento while serving a one-game suspension imposed by the NBA.

Artest caught Portland guard Derek Anderson with an elbow in the face during Wednesday's game at Conseco Fieldhouse.

No foul was called on the play that went unnoticed by many observers.

This is the first league-impose suspension for Artest, who led the NBA in flagrant fouls last season.

Al Harrington will start in Artest's place.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/130730-7075-077.html
    [hr]
    *EDIT* Monteith's article has now been updated, but it presently makes no reference to flagrant foul points. The revised article follow:

NBA suspends Artest for tonight's game

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    March 19, 2004

Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest will miss tonight's game with Sacramento while serving a one-game suspension imposed by the NBA.

Artest caught Portland guard Derek Anderson with an elbow in the face during Wednesday's game at Conseco Fieldhouse.

No foul was called on the play that went unnoticed by many observers.

This is the first league-imposed suspension for Artest, who led the NBA in flagrant fouls last season.

Pacer coach Rick Carlisle said the elbow was unintentional

"I thought it was inadvertent and Ron said it was inadvertent," Carlisle said this morning.

"I guess the league thought differently. It's too bad because Ron's conduct has been exemplary this year. There's been no pattern of this. I'm surprised."

Carlisle said the Pacers would accept the penalty without appeal or protest.

"The decision's been made," Carlisle said. "There's nothing we can do about it now. We're going to have to find a way to win without him."

Al Harrington, who will start in Artest's place, said he expects the Pacers will fill the gap.

"Somebody is going to have to step up," Harrington said. "And most times a lot of guys step up. That's what we're looking for: Just a great team effort tonight.

"We're going to bring it tonight. It's a good test for us. We're going to come out and put on a good show."

The Pacers have the NBA's best record (50-17). Sacramento is one and half games back in the race for the overall No. 1 seed in the playoffs.

Artest will available for Saturday's game at Memphis.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Default Re: Breaking News - Artest suspended

HOLY ****!!!!!!!!! What a bunch of ********.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Total BS. Well . . . they got him for both of the games vs the Kings. A wrongful ejection in the first game and suspension for the second.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Maybe their making the statement that they don't want the Pacers to be in first place? Somehow, I wouldn't doubt it.

YOu do realize that Memphis is really going to get it tomorrow? I see Artest burning them.

This is still winABLE, remember, but not as likely.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Just when I thought the NBA couldn't get any stupider...

Mood

mg:

just.....

mg:

tdeltdot

That sucks, but...

He would have been covering Peja, correct? Is it possible to shut that man down, i.e. would Ron have been effective on D., anyways? Peja doesn't create many his own shots, other than to throw a quick pump-fake and take a single dribble to the side around a screen. So isn't it really just a matter of chasing him around the court without the ball? Perhaps, Al can be as effective as Artest would have been.

He's had a couple close calls this year... I'm not surprised that the NBA finally hit him.

It's a make-up call for that tackle a couple weeks ago.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

That sucks, but...

He would have been covering Peja, correct? Is it possible to shut that man down, i.e. would Ron have been effective on D., anyways? Peja doesn't create many his own shots, other than to throw a quick pump-fake and take a single dribble to the side around a screen. So isn't it really just a matter of chasing him around the court without the ball? Perhaps, Al can be as effective as Artest would have been.
    Maybe but without Al our bench is even weaker. And Carlisle probably gonna run the all bench unit still. Pollard/Croshere/Bender/Jones/AJ vs the Kings guys...

Well guess this would make a win even bigger and a loss no big deal. Sucks we never get to play each other full strength this regular season.

Would it have ever crossed the league's mind, since they admitted that Ron was wrongfully ejected last time, that they should just let this one go since there is really no way to determine if what he did was intentional or not. Complete horseshît, although I'm not surprised.

Me thinks Ron is skating on thin ice with the brass.

THANKS ESPN FOR TALKING IT UP MORE THAN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DURING THE GAME YOU DUMBA****!!!!!!

ESPN should get some blame for making a mountain out of a molehill.

-Bball

EDIT... I guess we got that natl exposure we've been lacking....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Can't he appeal and still play?

Theshop

I hope my pessimism is incorrect but we will lose tonights game.

Can't he appeal and still play?
    Nah I don't think it works that way in the NBA. Could appeal and maybe get his money back but that's it.

So the NBA say it was intentional. They even give him a flagrant foul point as well even though NOTHING WAS CALLED AT THE TIME.

Unbelievable

Mood

So the NBA say it was intentional. They even give him a flagrant foul point as well even though NOTHING WAS CALLED AT THE TIME.

Unbelievable
    Yeah, what's posted above doesn't point that out, folks: They also assigned him a Flagrant II for this.

it was a real good elbow/forearm shiver... I'm not really suprised. It looked bad from the camera angle. That guy's lucky he didnt break his face, I woulda had to called time out there if it were me.

I'm probably taking this too hard but I am LIVID over this. They wait this long to issue the supension. gives us no time to even prepare. I mean I realize they do this a lot(waiting til the day of) In my mind this is a big game and ONCE AGAIN the NBA gives the advantage to Sac.

Just unreal IMO.

Okay, now that I'm over the initial shock, here are my thoughts on the matter.

It wasn't Reggie who was suspended. Or Al. Or Jermaine, Jeff or Jamaal. It was none other than...Ron. That's right, the same guy who got suspended for 12 games last year. The guy puts himself in these situations. Why don't these kind of things happen to anyone else on the team? Is he being singled out?

Absolutely.

He's under closer scrutiny because of his past transgressions, but he earned that. And being under closer scrutiny, he has to make a concerted effort to keep his game clean. He's done that for the most part this year, but he's slipped up on occasion. And now it's caught up with him.

It's like a person on probation. You can't engage in the same behavior that got you into trouble in the first place. If you do and you're caught, they let you finish out your suspended sentence in jail. Except the guy on probation doesn't get as many chances as Ron has this year.

You can argue the elbow wasn't intentional, but from one angle it looked like it was. And like I said, it wasn't Reggie or anyone else on the team who put themselves in that position. It was Ron. No surprise.

Time to redirect your anger where it belongs. Not at the league, but at the individual who should be held accountable for this crap. And who has hurt this team 14 or 15 times in 2 seasons. Ron.

Now, granted, I never read the thread from after the game, but I think this is absolutely the right call, and that's coming from one of Ron's staunchest supporters from last year.

I didn't see it at the game, but thankfully I tivo'd it. IMO, he definitely should have been suspended. Maybe the TV angle is bad, but it sure as hell looks intentional, no matter what the P's say. I don't care if it was JO before game 7 of the Finals. This ain't hockey, you can't let a cheap shot like that pass.

Does it suck for us? Yup. But Ron should know better. From now on, he has to play as clean as a whistle, cause the last thing we need is for him to regain his bad rep going into the playoffs.

Now, as has been mentioned, he probably would have gotten away with it if it wasn't on national TV. As someone who hates nationalized televised games because they're a pain for people who actually go to games, it's just one more reason to be glad we're hardly ever on.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Me thinks Ron is skating on thin ice with the brass.
    Why would you say this? I can't believe they are anything but thrilled with his turnaround this year.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

That would be easier to do if I was at all believing this was intentional. I just don't think it was.

Ron was just weaving thru the traffic under the basket. It was akin to a swimstroke... it could be deemed a foul. But it was intended to hit no one IMHO. He almost hit Reggie. Players use their arms like that that all the time and they are not trying to hit anyone.

I just saw nothing to make me think it was at all intentional.... nothing before and nothing after as well.

-Bball

It wasn't Reggie who was suspended. Or Al. Or Jermaine, Jeff or Jamaal. It was none other than...Ron. That's right, the same guy who got suspended for 12 games last year. The guy puts himself in these situations. Why don't these kind of things happen to anyone else on the team? Is he being singled out?

Absolutely.

He's under closer scrutiny because of his past transgressions, but he earned that. And being under closer scrutiny, he has to make a concerted effort to keep his game clean. He's done that for the most part this year, but he's slipped up on occasion. And now it's caught up with him.

It's like a person on probation. You can't engage in the same behavior that got you into trouble in the first place. If you do and you're caught, they let you finish out your suspended sentence in jail. Except the guy on probation doesn't get as many chances as Ron has this year.

You can argue the elbow wasn't intentional, but from one angle it looked like it was. And like I said, it wasn't Reggie or anyone else on the team who put themselves in that position. It was Ron. No surprise.

Time to redirect your anger where it belongs. Not at the league, but at the individual who should be held accountable for this crap. And who has hurt this team 14 or 15 times in 2 seasons. Ron.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Absolutely.

Great post. Ron has got to understand that he (with a lot of help from Isiah) created this reputation, and he's going to have to live with it for the rest of his playing career. It won't go away, Pacers Fans, and IMO he's earned that scrutiny with everything he did prior to this season (including his similar stunts with the Bulls).

He has to behave better than just about everybody not named 'Sheed or K-Mart. And those guys have figured out that they are being held to a much, much higher standard than everyone else and they've adopted so that they only occasionally get in trouble.

I don't believe he could have done this intentionally when I see it at full speed, but it is ugly when you see it in slo-mo.

Buck's not around to defend him, so I'm doing all I can to refrain myself from pointing out the number of times he's hurt this team since his arrival is far more than 14 or 15.

But in his prime, Reggie would get in fight and get suspsended at least one time per year. If Ronnie keeps his nose clean the rest of the way then this won't be a big deal. If his demons are coming back to haunt him (think: that tackle in the Clippers game and this with two weeks of each other) then ... well even Mr. Worry Wart doesn't want to go there...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

That would be easier to do if I was at all believing this was intentional. I just don't think it was.

Ron was just weaving thru the traffic under the basket. It was akin to a swimstroke... it could be deemed a foul. But it was intended to hit no one IMHO. He almost hit Reggie. Players use their arms like that that all the time and they are not trying to hit anyone.

I just saw nothing to make me think it was at all intentional.... nothing before and nothing after as well.

-Bball
    Same here.