Thread: Ron Artest- Defensive Player of the Year?

NewYawk

Default Ron Artest- Defensive Player of the Year?

I think we're all in agreement, right? Ronnie should get ALL the votes. If anyone votes for Ben Wallace, they should be strung up and forced to watch old episodes of "Providence."

Default Re: Ron Artest- Defensive Player of the Year?

I think he'll win, with some of the votes going to Wallace and Kirilenko.

He should win. More recognition, due to team success [although even the team can't get any recognition for having the best record in the league through 60-odd games ed: ] and a more well-rounded overall game. As well an all-star appearance, and no suspensions.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Oops!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Oops!
    This has nothing to do with him being DPOTY, or at least it damn well shouldn't.

I think it might hurt him just the whole stigma of it reminding them of last year. Plus the injury hurting his chances. And with Detroits D turning it up lately I think it looks like Wallace is all but a lock to get it for a third straight year. He has the statistics to back it up, Rons impact doesn't really show much in his stats.

PistonsDynasty

It has to go to big Ben Wallace. They have Ben holding teams to under 70 plus he's 2nd in rebounds and 2nd in blocks. (I'm not trying to start she-it but..) alot guys don't like Artest (the person) and might not vote for him on the reason along.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As a Pistons fan, I will say this: Ron DESERVES to win the Defensive player of the year award. Ben Wallace clearly deserved to win it the last 2 seasons, and Ron deserves it this year. He simply had a better year for a longer amount of time.

I will stress Ben deserves a GOOD number of votes, he isnt that far behind....

The first player in NBA history to amass 1,000 boards, 100 steals and 100 blocks in FOUR seasons.

I also stress that AK47 gets FAR less credit than Ron. People who say ron is underrated are complete idiots. Look at Kirilinko. He may NEVER win the award.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

tdeltdot

I think he'll win, with some of the votes going to Wallace and Kirilenko.
    Didn't the coaches vote for Bowen over Ronnie as best perimeter defender earlier this year? I think that Bruce's stock may have risen since last years DOPY vote b/c of the Spurs exposure as champions and the various 'incidents' he's been involved in this year. He obviously won't win but he may end up taking votes away from Ronnie considering their sim. play as on-the-ball, perimeter defenders. Garnett may get some serious votes as well.

I, for one, don't think that Ronnie has a chance. Wallace will win easily.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

WTF are you talking about ??? IF Bennie boy wins it than it should be only by a SMALL margin, so the use of the words "has to go to Big Ben Wallace" is WAYYYY too strong here. Ron brings a lot of stuff to the court that you dont always directly see in statistics and others that you actually do see in them. Besides, IF I remember correctly the Pistons didnt get that many opponents under 70 this year until that [size=9:1bc447ab48] BS-[/size]trade for Rasheed W.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Kstat is definitely right about Kirilenko. Superior defender, no doubt he's close to Ron in his defensive level, atleast in my opinion.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

tdeltdot

WTF are you talking about ??? IF Bennie boy wins it than it should be only by a SMALL margin, so the use of the words "has to go to Big Ben Wallace" is WAYYYY too strong here. Ron brings a lot of stuff to the court that you dont always directly see in statistics and others that you actually do see in them. Besides, IF I remember correctly the Pistons didnt get that many opponents under 70 this year until that [size=9:6da34fe07e] BS-[/size]trade for Rasheed W.

Regards,

Mourning
    Ronnie got CRUSHED last year:

1st 2nd 3rd Points (total)
    Wallace 100 10 1 531
    Artest 2 30 22 122

Do you really think that perceptions have changed that much?

[EDIT]

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

WTF are you talking about ??? IF Bennie boy wins it than it should be only by a SMALL margin, so the use of the words "has to go to Big Ben Wallace" is WAYYYY too strong here. Ron brings a lot of stuff to the court that you dont always directly see in statistics and others that you actually do see in them. Besides, IF I remember correctly the Pistons didnt get that many opponents under 70 this year until that [size=9:11c1b7af87] BS-[/size]trade for Rasheed W.

Regards,

Mourning

Wallace 100 10 1 531
    Artest 2 30 22 122

And what is your point regarding the R Wallace trade, exactly? That Ben wasn't a good defender before? Or that it's only now that people are perceiving him as good defender? Those are the only two implications I can see of your comments. no?

Ron DESERVED to get crushed last year. He was an embarrassment. It sent a message which I think has helpd him throughout this season.

Was Big Ben 98 votes better last year? Certainly not. But Artest HURT his team with his stupidity as much as he helped them on the court. Making him a serious candidate for DPOY last year would have been a joke.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

tdeltdot

WTF are you talking about ??? IF Bennie boy wins it than it should be only by a SMALL margin, so the use of the words "has to go to Big Ben Wallace" is WAYYYY too strong here. Ron brings a lot of stuff to the court that you dont always directly see in statistics and others that you actually do see in them. Besides, IF I remember correctly the Pistons didnt get that many opponents under 70 this year until that [size=9:28680c23ab] BS-[/size]trade for Rasheed W.

Regards,

Mourning

Wallace 100 10 1 531
    Artest 2 30 22 122

And what is your point regarding the R Wallace trade, exactly? That Ben wasn't a good defender before? Or that it's only now that people are perceiving him as good defender? Those are the only two implications I can see of your comments. no?

Ron DESERVED to get crushed last year. He was an embarrassment. It sent a message which I think has helpd him throughout this season.

Was Big Ben 98 votes better last year? Certainly not. But Artest HURT his team with his stupidity as much as he helped them on the court. Making him a serious candidate for DPOY last year would have been a joke.
    I can't imagine that the voters would turn to Ronnie after two straight years of near unanimity for Ben. In 2001-2002 he got 96.7 percent of the vote (116 of 120)! A record by a mile.

And even if the past two years reflect a lack of competition more than anything else, it still doesn't seem likely that almost half of the voters this year will change their vote from last. I simply don't think that Artest can make up that much ground in a single year, esp. considering that Ben's own play has not fallen in any way.